UNREAL ENGINE 5.4 EXTREMELY BAD PERFORMANCE

put it to the console:
r.RHISetGPUCaptureOptions 1

And then:
profilegpu

But its different situation in editor or game. If it’s the first run on 5.4, be patient. It has to rebuild some thinks again due to changes.

In my experience Lumen was never production ready, at least not without some extreme fine tuning and optimization. In 5.3 was already bad, now it’s just worse.

@MaxWFA, I have the same issue. I found the way that works for me, it is Duplicate your project to the SSD if you have one and start it from the SSD. But it is not a total solution(for example I can’t migrate all my projects to SSD), maybe you guys found smt more universal?

Current solution to UE 5.4.1 freeze lag here: (towards the end of the thread)

1 Like

yes, Thanks a lot! I also found this solution. We just need to disable this Studio Telemetry plugin, which is enabled as Default.

2 Likes

Disabling the plugin is not necessary, a lot of other plugins use the ‘Telemetry’, so its kind of UE hard asset.
Adding the line to the ini file just stops the Telemetry’s expensive operation, while the plugin still remains active.

2 Likes

Same here. Takes forever to start empty project, with “scalable” setting. And when everything is loaded, it takes 5 seconds to click anything in the editor. Screen updates every 5-10 seconds for one frame. I have started several projects now in 5.3.2 and 5.4 or 5.4.1, and 5.4 is totally unusable. I emphasize that this happens even when opening a simple new blank project, and even after disabling all lumens and nanites from that empty project. Sticking with 5.3.2 until new Unreal Engines are usable.

2 Likes

Did anybody get any fixes?, its been driving me crazy just how it sporadically locks up and makes working with it very hard… For sure it isn’t my machine as the specs are pretty high, I have no problem with 5.3

what line do you mean:)

That user was in the original thread, so I forgot to post the link to the thread, in your project add: DefaultEngine.ini
Windows:
[StudioTelemetry.Log]
FileName=“nul”

Linux:
[StudioTelemetry.Log]
FolderPath=“/dev/null”

1 Like

You are the man, you saved my day!