Unreal Engine 5.2 Released

Hey there - thanks for the kind words!

We don’t have any updates on recommendations for C++ animation optimization. The team mentioned you can still use the FAnimInstanceProxy workflow in 5.2 (as documented for 5.1), but they recommend using Thread Safe functions in Animation Blueprints, which are in explained in the docs I linked, and on display in the Lyra Sample Game.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. It’s working in Standalone Mode, however some vehicles, collisions and physics are broken. @Amanda.Schade, please advise.

3 Likes

Wow, that escalated quickly.

I’m packaging it to see if works.
For Shipping:
For Development:
It runs, but physics and collision are broken.

1 Like

Deleted

Closed splines crash PCG

YEs, dont try to drive the car :smiley: unless you like flying

Hi @Amanda.Schade , @Miguel1900
I cannot see shadows anywhere on the test project BUG-RT_artifacts.zip above

Only working level is RayTracing_edges_artifacts_source_radius.umap when Build All, then run the project you can see shadows

I managed to get a crash as the shaders when I did a Build All on the last level. RayTracing_reflections_halo_artifact_NOlumen.umap

Fatal error: [File:\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\PipelineStateCache.cpp] [Line: 348]
Shader compilation failures are Fatal.

0x00007ffc83ede296 UnrealEditor-RHI.dll!FCompilePipelineStateTask::CompilePSO() [\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\PipelineStateCache.cpp:1835]
0x00007ffc83f0125b UnrealEditor-RHI.dll!TGraphTask::ExecuteTask() [\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1277]
Then loads of binary dump stuff… Boring…

finally got

Crash in runnable thread Foreground Worker #1

Finally I cannot see shadows anywhere and on some Windows 11 PC 5.2 release is just fogged, but thats the configuration

1 Like

Hi @Jimbohalo10 ,

Thanks for trying. Did you test it considering it’s a fully dynamic-lighting sample project? Lumen and ray tracing are enabled, but you should see lighting, of course (just dynamic).

Probably, the “RayTracing_edges_artifacts_source_radius.umap” was able to build the lighting because I accidentally placed a Stationary Spot Light, instead of Movable. Anyway, all the scenes should work fine with Lumen, showing dynamic lighting. Maybe you have encountered a new related bug :thinking:

when can we expect the Electric Dreams/Rivian PCG content example to be available? I thought this would launch with 5.2 considering it demonstrates one of the main features for the release.

Also please don’t remove the water simulation if you do release it! I’m always interested in new ways to do surface interaction.

1 Like

Has anyone reported this bug from Unreal Engine 5.2?

SUMMARY
When creating a new architectural project in Unreal Engine 5.2, I noticed that the shadows and reflections of actors disappear, which did not happen with previous versions of Unreal Engine.

SCRIPT TO REPRODUCE THE BUG
1 - Create project for ‘architecture’ in Unreal Engine 5.2;
2 - Do not change default configuration (Ray Tracing is enabled by default for architecture);
3 - Create a mirror on the ‘main’ level;
4 – In front of the mirror, place an actor with a base mesh and on top of the base mesh place a globe mesh with a point light inside (in the globe mesh apply emissive material - see video);
5 - Make the ‘directional light’ invisible leaving the environment without lighting (off);
6 - Place the character close to the actor;
7 - Now just move the character away from the actor until the shadows and reflections disappear and repeat this movement, as shown in the video.

RESULT
The result of the above steps will be to see the Unreal Engine 5.2 bug where shadows and reflections disappear when the character moves away from the sprite.

EXPECTATION
I have the expectation that this bug will be fixed soon due to the importance of Unreal Engine for the architecture industry, which is increasingly using Unreal Engine for interactive architectural projects with a high degree of realism in real time.
BUG DESCRIPTION
When creating a new architecture project in Unreal Engine 5.2, using the default graphics engine setting (without changing any settings), I noticed that shadows and reflections disappear when the character moves away from the actors. And, this bug is even more critical when using small actors, because the smaller the actor, the smaller the offset distance for shadows and reflections to disappear.
In the attached video we can see how this bug occurs. In this video I used a mirror and an actor with a base mesh and a point light inside the globe mesh (on the globe mesh apply emissive material - see video). Note that both shadows and reflections of emissive light disappear as you move away from the actor. This happens with any kind of lighting.
This bug seems to be related to ray tracing, as by disabling ray tracing shadows and reflections DO NOT disappear, but by disabling ray tracing we lose the realism that ray tracing provides in rendering shadows and reflections.
Note: this bug does not exist in previous versions (UE5.1, UE5.0, …), even using the default engine configuration. This bug only happens in the Unreal Engine 5.2 version, being a big problem for the architecture industry that uses many small actors in the scene (decoration objects, for example).

2 Likes

Regarding Apple Silicon support: Can anybody point me to a list of what actually is and isn’t supported? I’ve read that lumen works, but hardware ray tracing and and nanite don’t.

1 Like

@Amanda.Schade

The automatic screen space reflections on medium settings is a very good addition to scalability settings. Interestingly, with no SSR/Lumen reflection paired with only Lumen lighting, photo realism breaks the city too much. But when SSR is added to Lumen lighting(High GI) it fixes and brings back some of that photo realism.

I also got HWRT lumen to work(idk how?), may be posting comparisons soon.

1 Like

Check out the platform section of the release notes.

1 Like

Deleted

I did not have such a problem when preview 1 was first released. But after preview 2, light flashes occurred as in this picture. After the release of 5.2, I still have the same problem. I think it is skylight based. Is there a solution?

1 Like

From what I’ve read on the bug reporting site, they will only pay attention to bugs that have a lot of complaints on this bug reporting site. So, the ideal would be to have many people reporting this bug on this site: Report a Bug - Unreal Engine

hi. the twinmotion plugin is not compatible with 5.2

Hi, @marcatzeri I have updated the post to point out it Twinmotion WONT with 5.2 only the DOCUMENTATION is updated
Post on patch for 5.2 and Twinmotion
Post on patch for 5.2 for Twinmotion

1 Like

When I get into the vehicle, and it seems to blow away like a tornado

2 Likes