Unreal Engine 5.1 Released

Unreal Engine 5.1 is now available! Built upon the groundbreaking features introduced in UE5, the latest version is more robust, efficient, and versatile for all creators.

Lumen, Nanite, and Virtual Shadow Maps updates

The Lumen dynamic global illumination and reflections system, Nanite virtualized micropolygon geometry system, and Virtual Shadow Maps (VSM) now support games and experiences running at 60 fps on next-gen consoles and capable PCs.

Nanite has also been updated with a Programmable Rasterizer to allow for material-driven animations and deformations via World Position Offset, as well as opacity masks.

Work smarter

With Virtual Assets, we’ve decoupled the metadata from the object data, enabling developers to sync only what they need from source control systems.

We’ve implemented automated Pipeline State Object (PSO) caching for DX12, simplifying the process needed to prepare a game for shipping in DX12.

All developers and creators will benefit from on-demand shader compilation—where only the shaders needed to render what is seen on screen while working in the Unreal Editor, and optionally during platform development iteration—are compiled.

Build large worlds, faster

World Partition now supports Large World Coordinates, enabling you to create massive open worlds without loss of precision.

Enjoy accelerated source control workflows with World Partition, thanks to an improved user experience around managing, filtering, searching, and viewing files and changelists.

New HLOD (Hierarchical Level of Detail) support for water rendering and streaming means you can create large water bodies in open worlds with better performance and a smaller memory footprint.

Virtual production, broadcast, and live events updates

Unreal Engine 5.1 boasts a dedicated In-Camera VFX Editor, including an improved Light Card system.

Color Correction Windows (CCWs) enable adjustments to be applied exclusively to anything behind them, and the ability to apply color corrections per Actor.

A new Media Plate Actor enables you to simply drag and drop footage from the Content Browser, while you can now play back uncompressed EXRs both in engine and with nDisplay with the appropriate SSD RAID.

VCam has been overhauled with a new underlying system utilizing Epic’s Pixel Streaming technology for improved responsiveness and reliability, and an updated UI with a camera-focused design that will be more familiar to camera operators.

Animation, rigging, and modeling

Now in Beta, the Machine Learning (ML) Deformer enables you to create high-fidelity approximations of complex proprietary rigs—or any arbitrary deformation.

Control Rig continues to expand toward fully procedural rigging with many updates to the core framework, including a new Construction Event that enables you to generate rig hierarchies via a graph, and Custom User Events for creating and triggering rig events.

We’ve extended Sequencer—Unreal Engine’s multi-track nonlinear animation editor—by adding support for constraints, and by exposing additional functionality through Blueprint and Python scripting. The UI/UX has been refactored for increased stability and extensibility, and to improve animation authoring and editing workflows.

Enhancements to geometry tools include new functions for Geometry Scripting, UV Editor improvements to handle more complex assets, and additional mesh editing and creation tools.

Audio

MetaSounds updates include additional node types, together with support for various multichannel output formats, and the new ability to show feedback on real-time node connections.

We’ve also introduced Soundscape, a plugin for procedural ambient sound generation.

AI

A number of artificial intelligence (AI) tools introduced in UE 5.0 move out of Experimental status: Smart Objects and State Tree to Production-Ready, and MassEntity to Beta.

MassEntity received UX improvements, CPU performance gains, and memory usage optimizations.

Smart Objects have received general stability and workflow improvements that make it more convenient to set up Smart Object Definitions.

State Tree updates include improved Actor and Blueprint-centric workflows, increased flexibility and modularity, and memory optimizations.

Lyra Starter Game Updated

The Lyra Starter Game sample has been updated to 5.1 and also includes some Lyra-specific bug fixes and improvements.

The full list of changes can be found on the Upgrading Lyra Starter Game page, along with information to help upgrade projects from 5.0.

If you previously installed the sample in 5.0, the launcher may prompt you to update the sample before you can create a project based on the new version. To create a 5.1 version of Lyra, make sure to select the 5.1 version after clicking the Create Project button inside the launcher.

Known Issues

For a complete listing of known issues affecting Unreal Engine 5.1, please see the Unreal Engine Public Issue Tracker .

If you discover new issues with this release, please report them using the guidelines in the link: How to Report a Bug .

And we're just getting started!

Check out the complete details in the Unreal Engine documentation—and share your feedback below!

Download Unreal Engine 5.1 from the Epic Games launcher, GitHub, or for Linux!

33 Likes

great, thank you so much for your great work epic team.

cant wait tot try it. city sample project couldve been the perfect example to try it to add some nanite foliage, unfortunately it says 5.1 is supported then when i try to download it for 5.1 it says no engine supported. still super excited.

2 Likes

I wonder if the orthographic camera is fixed in 5.1 release?

After updating from 5.1 Preview to 5.1, materials with disabled depth testing stopped appearing in front of custom stencil meshes (masked by post process) - any idea what might cause that?

Update: I’ve fixed it: If you have a similar issue, check the “Allow Custom Depth Writes” in the material.

2 Likes

Amazing! is the epic games installer version now Apple Silicon native?

4 Likes

Does no one ever use pathtracing and movie render queue? This is incredibly broken, and has been since 5.0.3 at least.

First the quality of output is terrible compared to sequencer output - mrq does some ugly blurry filtering always, no matter if postprocess effects are on or off. Just compare the results.

left sequencer - right Movie render queue

And then there is also memory consumption problem with mrq and pathtracer. The larger the spatial samples the more memory MRQ needs - this does not apply to sequencer. And after rendering the memory isn’t freed either. Obviously then large amount of spatial samples can easily cause crash since you will run out of memory.

I’m not supposed to use MRQ when using path tracer?

1 Like

We have folks working on the Orthographic camera, but those changes will likely arrive in 5.2.

2 Likes

Looks like the Lumen translucent lighting is broken. Translucent lit materials can’t receive any ambient light from sky lights, only directional lighting.

In a blank project. White translucent material with opacity 1 on the left. With Lumen enabled:

With Lumen turned off:

Apparently my buddy is saying C++ Projects on the Mac are not building at all.

3 Likes

Awesome! This release comes with the very latest version of the Plastic SCM plugin for Unreal Engine 5 v1.6.2 with support for the new Changelists UI :slight_smile:

I was also able to get multiple small changes in for source control QoL!

Cheers!
SĂ©bastien

edit @Amanda.Schade I see that I am not listed among the community contributors, do you know what happened there?

1 Like

Let me dig into it and I’ll DM you!

1 Like

Hi Amanda. I am on a Mac and when I try to reopen a C++ projects freshly made in 5.1 I get error in Xcode

I could never get a C++ project to open in the Preview either and was hoping it was fixed. Blueprint projects are fine Xcode is 13.4

Great feature and quality of life improvements! The preview build was a joy to tinker with. One tiny question, any plans to have the 3DxUnreal plugin updated for 5.1, or is that a 3Dconnexion responsibility? If it’s on 3Dconnexion to remedy (which I can totally see being the case), what is the protocol for updates like this now that plenty of users utilize this plugin for navigating in Unreal? Does 3Dconnexion receive a heads up that Epic is about to fully release an update by a certain day, thereby updating their software accordingly? I noticed the plugin wasn’t in the preview build of 5.1 and was excited to see 5.1 fully released hoping the plugin would be fully available, so this is just a bit of a bummer. Thank you all for continuing to creatively improve an already powerful engine.

For future editions, it would be nice to have an option to load older plugin versions. Worst case, they don’t work.

1 Like

In the Archviz project template the water disappears when pathtracing is enabled, any idea why?

I am also not able to create a new City Sample project or open the one I had for 5.1 Preview. Error code: IV-CMD-DREQ