Unreal Engine 5.1 Released

We reported this to the team—ARM64 builds are not yet fully supported in 5.1, but that’s the default for Apple Silicon projects.

For now, please workaround the issue by switching your build target platform to My Mac (Rosetta).

We’ll issue a QFE with a fix for this very soon, and it’ll be included in the 5.1.1 Hotfix.

2 Likes

I’m getting some really strong ghosting artifacts in UE5.1 (bottom) compared to UE5.0 (top).
Seems that any sort of animated textures from panners to render targets, animated normals or world position offset causes blurry squares to cover the mesh, it seems to get worse with distance from object or pixel if large plane is used.
I first noticed this in Preview2.
Anyone know what changed in TSR or if there is some setting that I need to change? Happens for Unlit, Opaque, Masked, Transluscent, with responsive AA and velocity outputs enabled :frowning:

As mentioned by somebody else above I can confirm, the city sample cannot be installed anymore from the launcher’s library since the release of 5.1: Fails install with “Error code IV-CMD-DREQ”

@Amanda.Schade could you maybe escalate that issue to whoever would be able to take a look at it ?

2 Likes

Some good improvements in this release! Thanks goes out to everyone involved.

Noticed an issue with the Layer Parameters tab when assigning an RVT as an exposed parameter. Results in UE hard freeze, left it for about 10 min., appears to remain frozen until the process is manually stopped.

Happens when browsing to RVT asset with the dropdown menu and drag/drop.
Workaround: edit any RVT assignments before adding asset to level.

Edit: appears more extensive than I originally thought, freeze is also now appearing when attempting to assign landscape to draw in RVT if landscape material is already applied. Same issue with material params within the node graph.

I believe the issue is materials-related (reason unknown at this time) but I’m working around for now by assigning RVT-related aspects before loading the levels in question.

Edit2: I’ve narrowed down the problem; the issue presents when a second RVT volume has been added to the level. Will submit a report now that I’ve simplified things into an easily reproducible scenario.

Yeah agreed it’s no longer installing.

Broadcast design and animation tool available in this version?

@Amanda.Schade Hey, there bugs with virtual bones in character editor: 1) you can’t add more than 1 virtual bone to same root (for example you can’t have more than 1 virtual bones with pelvis bone as parent); 2) virtual bones not appears in catalog (you can’t choose it anywhere for example: you can’t use it in control rig). Hope it will be fixed in 5.1.1 , thanks :slight_smile:

Very good information you have provided keep it up

I’m getting the following error when trying to generate project files for my 5.0.3 C++ project:

Binding IntelliSense data… 100%
Writing project files…
Writing project files… 0%
Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type ‘System.OutOfMemoryException’ was thrown.
at System.GC.AllocateNewArray(IntPtr typeHandle, Int32 length, GC_ALLOC_FLAGS flags)
at System.GC.g__AllocateNewUninitializedArray|66_0[T](Int32 length, Boolean pinned)
at System.Text.StringBuilder.ExpandByABlock(Int32 minBlockCharCount)
at System.Text.StringBuilder.Append(Char value, Int32 repeatCount)
at System.Text.StringBuilder.AppendFormatHelper(IFormatProvider provider, String format, ParamsArray args)
at System.Text.StringBuilder.AppendFormat(String format, Object[] args)
at UnrealBuildTool.VCProjectFile.WriteProjectFile(List1 InPlatforms, List1 InConfigurations, PlatformProjectGeneratorCollection PlatformProjectGenerators, ILogger Logger) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\ProjectFiles\VisualStudio\VCProject.cs:line 1257
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.WriteProjectFiles(PlatformProjectGeneratorCollection PlatformProjectGenerators, ILogger Logger) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\ProjectFiles\ProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 2812
at UnrealBuildTool.VCProjectFileGenerator.WriteProjectFiles(PlatformProjectGeneratorCollection PlatformProjectGenerators, ILogger Logger) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\ProjectFiles\VisualStudio\VCProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 480
at UnrealBuildTool.ProjectFileGenerator.GenerateProjectFiles(PlatformProjectGeneratorCollection PlatformProjectGenerators, String[] Arguments, ILogger Logger) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\ProjectFiles\ProjectFileGenerator.cs:line 1176
at UnrealBuildTool.GenerateProjectFilesMode.Execute(CommandLineArguments Arguments, ILogger Logger) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Modes\GenerateProjectFilesMode.cs:line 233
at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.Main(String[] ArgumentsArray) in D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 648

I can generate 5.03 project files without any issues. This only happens with 5.1. I am using VS Community 2022. Windows 10.

Any idea what might be causing this issue? Thanks!

Edit: I’ve just tried creating a new blank 5.1 C++ project and I am getting the same error.

Is anyone able to create a new C++ project with 5.1?

3 Likes

Lyra non-default/UE4 character hands are messed up in 5.1. Not sure if there’s a blueprint I need to refresh? 5.0.3 just works.

Lyra 5.1 gameplay hiccups significantly. By that I mean small freezes. 5.0 runs extremely smooth. I’ve relaunched and waited for the new on-demand loading to stop. Having other issues though so have to see if that clears up with the rest.

Link Anim Class Layers is missing?

Is this metal supposed to be black now?

I really don’t like the new on-demand loading because now assets load when I hit play, and during gameplay. So I hit play and just exit because there’s no point. Then hit play again. Feels clunky. Having them ready loaded is better. Is there an option to turn that off? I’d rather have them load, get up and do something, then have them all ready.

5 Likes

is this the lyra 5.1 update source or did you just upgrade your old lyra project to 5.1 version ?

It’s a new project, with my stuff brought in.

Yep that was the Launcher version of 5.1 I was using not ARM64

So you will have to report this bug , to be fixed in the next update, I will download 5.1 to test on my system to confirm the bug.

1 Like

macOS:
5.1.0 is still Intel, not Apple native
Landscape flatten/erase tool is broken

Same issue in Template project - Variant manager:

Using an M1 Pro Macbook and converted project from 5.03 to 5.1 looks really dark. Lights doesn’t work. Tried adding different kind of lights to the scene but nothing happens. Tried multiple projects and the same issue occurs.

2 Likes

Yea, specifically I’m using the ABP retarget
(Characters/Heroes/Mannequin_UE4/Animations/ABP_UE4_Mannequin_Retarget) retargeted for a Paragon character. Also shown here: How to Change Lyra Character | Unreal Engine 5 Tutorial - YouTube

To be sure, I made another new 5.1 Lyra project and a clean install of the Paragon character. Nothing else added. Still the same. Then also made an IK rig and retargeter specific to the Paragon character in case that might help. Still the same.

Update: Bug report submitted :man_factory_worker:

1 Like

City Sample still not available for Mac. Switching to other engines coz Epic clearly doesn’t care for Apple since their upset about money.

2 Likes

oh yes :heart:
But Chaos Vehicle is still not multiplayer ready and is still full of bugs :frowning:
Jittering and stock at 30-40mp/h.

Nvm. i just saw that is back from beta to expermiental :sweat_smile: