Unreal Engine 4 Deserves Clean UI

It’s only getting better and better :smiley:

i dislike many (if not all) different changes:

1. hexagonal icon borders from Placement panel - you think they are cool, because they are more “round”, than squares, but they lose a lot of visual information, that was available for squares (they simply either “crop” default icons or have to reduce their size to ensure, that heaxagonal borders dont crop original icons)

2. Toolbar icons… you need to understand, that there exist (imho) only 2 reasons for these “single-colored line styled” icons getting popular for mobile apps - they are easy to make (cheap) and they are easier to see in dimmed display (like when battery is below 5%) or under the sun. On a pc there is no reason to use it, because they take a lot more time to recognise the toolbar buttons, basically they are almost as useless as if simply removing the icons and just putting text instead. Text needs to be read, icons are small pictures, that you just look at and visually recognize them, your “white line styled” icons are more like a text, than a picture (and for myself they take a lot more time to recognise, and a lot harder eye-effort is needed as well.)

3. “colored picture” icons are a lot nicer to look at, they are a lot more beautiful, than your theme icons. (your icons are not much better than “just a text”-option), imho.

4. Viewport icons (snapping icons) activated modes got light-blue background, dont you see, that this background is almost as light as a white color of the icon “picture” itself. (they are too close, not enough difference, background is not dark enough).

5. Look at the “Vieport tab name” (at the vieport, bove it) in your theme you tried to simplify and style your ui by making it blending with the background, to reduce amount of backgrounds and borders, imho, it simply reduces the recognition speed, it makes harder to view, increases time to learn it, so, eventually, it makes an opposite result - it increases ui complexity for no additional benefit.

6. Same problem for the Details panel data categories - you removed the backgroud color and made category background color to be the same color as a data field color - there was no benefit to do it, especially taking into account, that it was made at the cost of making category font so TOO small. (even taking into account font size difference, it is still a lot harder for the eyes to distingush them, just another example of a completely failed theme change).

TLDR
Your theme is not about being efficient, it is about being just different, having different style (i would not call it ugly, if it was not made at the cost of making ui a LOT worse UX-wise, it is simply terrible, the styling rules that you use in this theme - they are just wrong, dont try to blend UI element background with nearby elements, at least you failed at getting alternative options.

thats just my personal opinion, you take it as a constructive criticism, if you agree with it.
Default UI is a decent example the learn from.

You spent your time for this. So it’s great! Unfortunately many of your statements for unprofessional designer can sound like a constructive criticism, however like it or not you’re using some no data driven manipulative statements to say just one phrase - I hate it. And it’s OK. I have lots of data to give you as a counter arguments and I’ll do it later after new more suggestions and another update. But before that I want to hear unbiased replies first. Thank you for the detailed reply! Waiting for others

1. Toolbar icons… oh not sure, but maybe you’ve overlooked new icons. please check the updated version above Unreal Engine 4 Deserves Clean UI - Feedback for Unreal Engine team - Unreal Engine Forums. I like the the amount of energy in your reply and that’s why I need your opinion! Thank you! (If it’s hidden or not obvious: I like your reply: energy driven, based on your observations, etc. No “I am designer” pose here )

if i could only give you a million thumbs up :o absolutely gorgeous

Hi,

I agree that UE4’s look coold be a bit more modern and streamlined. I also like your work so far but I think it’s a little bit too much and over the top.

So the heaxgonal icons don’t make sense to me and I’d rather see square icons. Moreover I’d love to see some more colors. Colored Icons for example. This would help to see different functions, actor types, etc. more easily.
That’s exactly what I really like about Cinema 4D’s UI. Here’s an example:

In the object manager (top right) you have a different (colored) icon for each different type of object that can be in your scene. this makes it easy to recognize them immediately.
This also applies to point 5 + 6 that Saah88 posted earlier here.

Keep up the good work and best regards,

Must admit with a few people talking about the hexagon icons I had to have a good look for em, turns out they are on the modes panel the one I barely use. Infact my default layout is a fair bit different to Epic default, i know not uses the editor in the same way I do but its nice to see that Im not the only one who feels the Modes Panel could use some work.

[shot]https://puu.sh/ucacD/af08996b1d.jpg[/shot]

As you can see Modes stays pretty well hidden for me a majority of the time and if I want lights/geometry/blueprints I tend to drag them off this Content Browser though I do use the Modes Panel occasionally still. Details and World Properties I have dragged up when Im using it, sometimes most the way to the top. I just like how this maximizes my viewport space without sacrificing too much functionality, only issue can be digging to get to Output Log if Im in a BP and checking Construction Script logs.

Anyway keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing more but no rush :cool:

[MENTION=29846]Blue man[/MENTION]

Its not a color AFAIK. Go to \Engine\Content\Slate\Common or \Engine\Content\Editor\Slate\Common folder. Both those folders contain a file called **GroupBorder.png **and one of them is being used for Content Browser background and the other one is used for Toolbar background. Just replace each of them with another image and restart the editor.

This is the standard google-microsoft-apple minimalist corporatist style theme that has downright infested the minds of so many people in the tech arena and to the point it has become a pop culture trend and many companies are exploiting that for marketing purposes, which means private financial interest is also at the root, not so much productivity.

Unreal Engine 4 Editor is a devlopment tool meant for production, it is not a walmart product for 99 cents.

I do not endorse this, however I will remain neutral and will not be hostile to it as long as it is optional, never mandatory.

Please be warned that any attempts to force other users and the whole community to this will be opposed greately, Unreal Engine 4 Editor is one of the remaining beacheds that has not been occupied yet by the minimalist army, with 4.15 finally out I intend to plow into serious development for real, after months of lurking, planning, getting used to, setting things up, and I will not like any massive change to the GUI now or anytime in the future.

White vs Black background is not only has objective ups and downs, it is also a subjective issue of taste, any attempt to justify one color as the “best” will be, at least by me, disregarded as completely invalid and no compromise would be possible. I will never accept a white background whatever you have to offer on the table.

The objective up and down of White vs Black is that White color produces more eyestrain in longer sessions and specially in the evening. I am very comforable with the current color.

Prefer the original UI…but, its VERY subjective and would suggest giving people the option to have themes applied…

That a good work, buy original UI looks also Ok.
What deserves to be done - is the logic of the UI.
Not every field in properties is resized enough to show it’s value - like variable type field in function parameter properties.
Not all context menus are the same across all windows - like mission Duplicate menu item in UMG editor.
Missing “Replace Actor” in right click context menu in Outliner.
Missing Save button in Level Blueprint Editor. Missing Base Class in title bar, also in level Blueprint.
And many other stuff.
All those UI bugs are much more annoying for me than classic design.

I changed a few files around and got this UI. Not at all perfect as the original modern edition from @EXGAMESADRENALINE but please let me know how it is.

&stc=1

NOTE: This is without modifying any source code.

It’s looks really nice already. For me much better than current skin.
What really sticks out are fonts. They are not aliased and very jagged. Not sure if that’s just slate thing, or just bad font.

It looks great! When I’ll finish with UI / UX I’ll try to make a skin or so as an end product for the community.

good points here

It’s a common misconception and another attempt to “sell” skewed info. not a trend, not a conspiracy. please read my reply above about flat icons. But I hear you guys, for those who prefer current UI please check updates marked as ‘Bridge’. Thank you for your reply!

yep, I’m using Roboto font family. Not sure about vanilla.

**Daily Progress:

Laptop Mode (not finished!):**

&stc=1

Low-quality GIF as an overview of interactivity:

• replaced the toolbar, emphasized 3 major buttons (build, play, launch), many items moved to the menu
  • first attempt to redesign the modes panel, not finished!
  • moved visibility row to the tab group menu
  • smooth subtle panel animations on hover (experimental) to increase contrast
  • smooth fade of visual guides in the viewport (experimental / in-progress)
  • some icons still need more contrast, not finished.

**Semi-interactive Hi-Fi prototype:
http://xddacp.axshare.com

**Check GIF above what can be clicked, the viewport is draggable to check guides icons visibility.
PM me if you’ll see Times New Roman font instead of Roboto. Thanks!

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give PLS༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

lol, :slight_smile:

I remember when I first started using UE4 the UI felt a bit odd to me (funny considering I’m a blender user) but it quickly grew on me and now it feels like a warm snuggly blanket :slight_smile:

Having said that, I really like the dark theme you’ve done, it feels really clean and tidy. The light theme is waaaay too bright for me though (also funny given that I use light theme in VS).

My 2 cents is that anyone who designs any sort of theme is going find the herd instantly divided into people who love it like a kitten and people who hate the changes with the fiery heat of a thousand suns.

I highly recommend that you make it in such a way that you can turn it on or off with the flick of a switch so that people can take it or leave it with little more than a click.

The other thing you might consider is making your theme in such a way that allows other people use it to make their own custom themes…

It is imperative to the future of humanity that you release this ASAP.

Like it, less clutter always welcome

All subjective opinion. Matter of taste. Not fair to declare superiority. No right to force mandatory adoption.

I have no problems with it, It feels a lot better than the “modern” Bethesda Forums.

Clearly the corporatists at google, microsoft and apple are very successful in creating cult behavior in their customers.