Dec 2020 UPDATE:
While I’m no longer taking part in this, here’s the new update from another author, that I think looks interesting:
Please let me know is it useful or not, I haven’t tested it yet. It looks promising.
Hey guys, first of all, thank you for the awesome product!
UE4 and its community are awesome!
**Summary: **This is a re-design of the UE4 editor.
So far the majority here ~85-90% like the new look in general with minor suggestions.
Others ~10-15% don’t like line/flat icons, usually arguing that flat / line icons are the new trend, conspiracy, whatever (no it’s not), some contrast issues. The very small minority do not care much.
**UPDATE: **I hear you! Fans of the current UI Please check the updated ‘bridge’ version!
**Current status: **I’m currently NOT making the theme. Why: Please check the UE4 roadmap.
And unfortunately, I don’t have enough time for this expensive hobby (65h+ of work up to date).
Maybe later, Epic? Thank you all for your support and feedback!
Details below. Important stuff I’m marking with bold.
- accent and BG colors can be changed to lighter, darker tones easily
- toolbar / modes vanilla icons can be left intact
- new: experimental bright version
- new: toolbar icons
- new: laptop mode (WIP) - prototype with interactive animations: http://xddacp.axshare.com - please leave feedback!
Laptop Mode (not finished and canceled) - please leave feedback
Prototype with interactive animations: http://xddacp.axshare.com
Low-quality GIF as an overview of interactivity:
Before / after (latest bridge version - closest to the current UI):
With line icons:
Initial modern version:
Before / after (initial modern version):
Experimental bright version:
**What’s next (canceled): **
- bridge: updated icons close to the vanilla version - done
- modern: laptop mode (small screens) UX and UI - WIP
modern: new project UI dialog
modern: tutorials pop up UI and UX overhaul
modern: more UX updates
modern: downloadable theme (line icons)
bridge: downloadable theme (solid icons)Please read the thread below about dark color, flat UI, design process and more.
- I’ve tried to get rid of different visual styles
- unexpected font sizes variations
- the non-uniform language of icons (frontal and in perspective)
- tune and de/emphasize accents (colorful XYZ controls)
- fewer borders (negative space instead)
- less visual noise (show unnecessary ? on hover, fewer icons with the same text!),
- ability to shrink panels with double click on borders,
- smaller fonts for groups’ titles,
- ability to move, rotate, scale with mouse
- laptop mode - smaller icons
- less black, add maybe gray, white(???) version
- huge icons, make them smaller (btw toolbar icons can be shrunk in the settings)
- wasted space, smaller fonts (btw toolbars’ tabs can be hidden with right click)
- make toolbar icons as text (maybe shift it to the menu - long wasted row of free space!)
- a few tries with full-colored icons
- extreme care about productivity, efficiency! take into consideration hotkeys, flows, etc.
- ability to pin tabs for the longest time so I can keep my default layout where it is without accidently dragging things around.
- a light variant for people who don’t like dark themes.
**Do you have positive / negative experiences with the current UE4 interface? **