Unreal Engine 4.6 Preview!

Hi Guys,
I’ve run into a minor with my UMG HUD when moving from 4.5 to 4.6. The HUD will not re-compile in 4.6 and I am getting the following message

Binding property ‘textdelegate’ on widget ‘textblock_1082’ needs to be bound to a pure function ‘Get_HUD_ArmorValue_Text_0’ is not pure

So the first question is just what is a PURE function? All function does is cast back to the player controller to get a float value for the armor and then convert it to a string to print it on the screen.

P.S. I was able to fix by checking the “PURE” function box option inside each of the functions within the HUD blueprint

[= Ellis;179570]
Are you still seeing these issues in the 4.6 Preview, and can you link me to an AnswerHub report of the?
[/]

No, just wondering since they weren’t in any of the changelogs. If those are supposed to be sorted I’m definitely installing now!

EDIT: Well, it’s “fixed”, just not in a way that’s useful to me. It seems the fix has been to take the scale of the root of the animation and apply it to the skeleton, rather than to scale the motion attached to it. So the unscaled root motion is correct, but only because the root is scaled down to use it. can be fixed by changing the Lock for the root motion to “ref frame” but then goes back to the old functionality of requiring artificially scaled root motion to properly interpret it.

So it’s not a step back, it just isn’t a step forward, either, at least not for ME, at least unless I want my skeleton at 1/12th size during anims that use root motion. Ah well.

Hi again
I may have found another. time the problem is with the apply damage node within blueprint. When I run my game in the editor and step on my landmine which is coded with blueprints, it correctly fires off the radial damage routine. However, my pawn class does not appear to be receiving any sort of damage event message at all. So even thought the landmine should score 750 points of damage the result is nothing since the pawn class never receives the information. was running correctly in 4.5 and I was getting the information via the any damage event in the pawn class.

I think I have another regarding mobile lighting (although I also see the same.

I have a scene with the lighting set up as follows :

1.Directional Light set to moveable - dynamic shadows ON.
2.Skylight set to stationary - dynamic shadows OFF.
3. Point light set to static

In the editor and standalone game I see the point light baked into the static light maps and everything is good, but on Mobile the point light is ignored and not baked into the static lighting.

See for more detailsanswers.unrealengine.com/questions/133369/mobile-dynamic-shadows-remove-baked-lighting.html

EDITOR

GAME

MOBILE

Oh boy THAT :
Precomputed Direct Lighting from Emissive Materials
Precomputed Emissive Lighting

In UDK, SU was using ONLY emissive material and GI… for UE4 I had to manually add (static) lights to every little thing I had in there…
I am so looking forward to that !

[=;179680]
… math expression nodes… addons like iTween for UE4 that relied on countless math expresion nodes basically have to rebuild everything in a more convoluted way if they want people to be able to build projects with it.
[/]

On that note, I was also hoping 4.6 would fix the math expression node build. is just a preview so more work is to be done before 4.6 stable. There’s hope. Our plan for iTween is to wait for the final version and cross our fingers. If we don’t have a fix from Epic for MENs by then, we’ll re-do the expressions using single operation nodes collapsed to functions. We just hope it won’t come to that :smiley:

Epic pls

[=JedTheKrampus;179592]
Still hoping you guys can merge my pull request at some point in some form. It’s SO, SO IMPORTANT to artists to have a correct tangent basis for their work to look correct, and people working from programs that can’t export tangents are really being left out in the cold .
[/]

+1 is really important to me, please get pull request in the engine asap

The performance improvements are impressive. Thanks for that.

Some issues:

• erosion of terrain does not work. I get a crash everytime i try to use it.
  • the behavior of the branch node in materials changed. The input pin >= is now a > but the label is still >=.
  • activating the rift mode is a bit unstable
  • still no gamepad support in umg :frowning:

is great! I’m glad emissive lighting is making a return and really looking forward to utilizing that. I’m really excited about the parallel rendering and async level streaming and it definitely will be making a huge improvement to the prototype I’m working with. @ or any other graphics programmer, I have a question regarding future support for SLI and NVidia’s VR Direct. I know based off of earlier posts a couple months back, there was some discussion about and it was stated I believe that because of the design of the renderer, it would be very problematic for Epic. Now that the rendering looks to be segregated in 4.6, will allow the team to implement SLI without major repercussions? At the least for VR support, VR Direct is stated that is uses a form of AFR but assigns each GPU to each eye. Is there any talk currently going on internally where considerations for these features is something the team is actively thinking about?

Other than that, 4.6 is going to be a pretty solid build of the engine and cannot wait to get my hands on the final release. Thanks again guys!

Another question for :

I am still seeing a 16 texture sample limit in 4.6 Preview, did the change not make it in time for 4.6-Preview? Please tell me it will be in 4.6 proper, I need badly!! :smiley:

[=;179899]
Another question for :

I am still seeing a 16 texture sample limit in 4.6 Preview, did the change not make it in time for 4.6-Preview? Please tell me it will be in 4.6 proper, I need badly!! :smiley:
[/]

Hey ! I cannot believe I missed that post. OMG, so after all these years, we may get to sample up to 128 unique textures?! That’s mind-blowing… , please answer one first before mine :slight_smile: The opportunities is going to present is freaking amazing!!! is extremely exciting!!!

I’ve converted a project from 4.5.1 to 4.6 Preview.

I’ve changed some deprecated nodes relative to UMG.
I’ve fixed something like “Internal Compiler Error: Duplicate property” collapsing the nodes to functions.

Now I’ve a problem with my Save system, because my nodes don’t create the Save Slot. I don’t know why. Tomorrow I’ll try again with a new project.

[=MC ;179908]
Hey ! I cannot believe I missed that post. OMG, so after all these years, we may get to sample up to 128 unique textures?! That’s mind-blowing… , please answer one first before mine :slight_smile: The opportunities is going to present is freaking amazing!!! is extremely exciting!!!
[/]

I know right? 128 is a huge change! Although I vow to create a material that uses up all 128 samplers as well (it will be called “M_Chaos”)… :stuck_out_tongue:

But in all seriousness, as it stands currently for my ocean material, I am only able to use 6 samplers with the rest eaten up by TLM-Surface (4 of them just for that!), Dynamic lighting and translucency… needless to say, I can not move forward with my ocean material, and I am using ever channel of every sample I have currently. I need to add 1 more sampler! :frowning:

So … Give me the powers!! I will stress test for you! :slight_smile:

[=;179679]
No pictures ? :stuck_out_tongue:
[/]

Not anymore for the Preview releases. Pulling the full Release Notes together is actually a lot of work, and it’s been a challenge having them ready in time for the Previews. So just like it’s a preview of the next Engine release, it’s also a preview of the next Release Notes. :slight_smile:

Does it have Linux + ARM compiling?

[=;179915]
I know right? 128 is a huge change! Although I vow to create a material that uses up all 128 samplers as well (it will be called “M_Chaos”)… :stuck_out_tongue:

But in all seriousness, as it stands currently for my ocean material, I am only able to use 6 samplers with the rest eaten up by TLM-Surface (4 of them just for that!), Dynamic lighting and translucency… needless to say, I can not move forward with my ocean material, and I am using ever channel of every sample I have currently. I need to add 1 more sampler! :frowning:

So … Give me the powers!! I will stress test for you! :slight_smile:
[/]

You should add… “Will Work For Texture Samples” :wink:

M_Chaos, haha, that will be the Destroyer of all Materials and may bring upon the end of the world lol! The possibilities for various shader and/or materials will be extremely awesome and it’s going to allow much more complex materials then ever before… I mean that’s a freaking 16x improvement over sampling limitations for god knows how long :smiley:

I hope makes 4.6! And , let me know when you can what you think about SLI/DirectVR. I have a second 980 GTX sitting and deciding if I should keep it or return it. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Still no VR support for UMG? :frowning:

For me, it broke Android deployment. Back on 4.3 I installed and I could successfully build and launched from the editor.

Now that I installed the 4.6 preview, it says I’m missing required components or environment variables. I followed instructions on the linkdocs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/Android/GettingStarted/index.html (thought it could require an update), but without success. The device is showing on Unreal’s Device Manager (was already), but I can’t build and it does not show on the launch drop down. It does show an iOS device somehow (I’m on windows).

BTW, I can still publish from 4.3.

Nevermind. Today it is working. Maybe a system restart was needed.

Hmm… Nothing that I need for now :frowning:

What are the details behind Network Replay and Recording? Specifically,

1. Can we record the scene from start till the end?
  2. Can we choose to record from any game time for specified duration (in seconds, for an example).
  3. Can it be recorded in a file, and then have the UE to replay the file later?