Unreal Engine 4.6 Preview!

[=;179567]
Any news on progress dealing with bone scaling bugs? i.e. improperly scaled root motion, improperly generated physics assets?

Was really hoping that was on the 4.6 horizon when root motion got updated…
[/]

Are you still seeing these issues in the 4.6 Preview, and can you link me to an AnswerHub report of the?

[=crumbaker;179554]
hoping there’s an option to keep emissive lights the way they are.
[/]

You’re misunderstanding what emissive is–it’s a texture that can make things look illuminated, like lit-up buttons. Currently they can only glow, but not emit light into a scene, new will allow them to emit light into a scene when rendering lightmass. If you enable the , it’s not forced since not everything needs it and it will definitely increase lighting build times.

[= Ellis;179484]
Hey ,

We are still working on the release notes for 4.6, and I honestly don’t have much additional information for the Landscape Split right now. I’ll post back when I get some additional notes.
[/]

No worries !

I’m using 4.6 preview now I can’t seem to figure it out on my end yet either. Was just curious what that intriguing yet cryptic phrase actually means :wink:

Still hoping you guys can merge my pull request at some point in some form. It’s SO, SO IMPORTANT to artists to have a correct tangent basis for their work to look correct, and people working from programs that can’t export tangents are really being left out in the cold .

[=JedTheKrampus;179592]
Still hoping you guys can merge my pull request at some point in some form. It’s SO, SO IMPORTANT to artists to have a correct tangent basis for their work to look correct, and people working from programs that can’t export tangents are really being left out in the cold .
[/]

I agree that the tagents do need to be correct as it helps for tools such as Substance Painter.

The Emissive lighting very important.

And the landscape holes plus rebuild lighting on Landscape Mountains yes definately.

Though, it’s probably a good idea to rebuild lighting for any changes in the engine which lighting, in case there’s something which enhances or improves the overall look.

Sounds like another good update.

Can the instanced static meshes be placed at runtime but still benefit from static lighting? My game uses procedurally generated levels built from instanced static meshes (generated before gameplay starts) and being able to statically light the entire thing would be huge.

[]
Really excited for the emissive lighting–does that work like how it did in UE3 or is it a better method? Specifically, in UE3 it looks like it would analyze the surface and then place invisible lights to match the emissive level of the texture. It didn’t give all that great of results.
[/]

The UE3 method was to create actual light sources out of the emissive texels. They were sampled explicitly which meant area shadows were smooth and they had bounce lighting, but they also bloated the build times significantly.

The new precomputed emissive lighting in build is simpler - it just gathers emissive lighting while gathering the GI. That means you only get direct lighting from those emissive texels, and small bright emissive spots will cause splotchiness in the resulting lighting. However build time is not affected.

Another way to think of it is that sampling of UE3 emissive texels was on purpose at a cost, while with new method it’s by accident for free.

There’s a new PrimitiveComponent option to disable behavior, which is useful on emissive light sources where you have placed a light actor (light bulb for example) so you don’t get double lighting.

[]
I am also curious about Landscape Split Out, btw.
[/]

I believe was just Landscape being moved out of the engine module, for better compiling iteration times.

[]
Can the instanced static meshes be placed at runtime but still benefit from static lighting?
[/]

No, static lighting is computed at lighting build time so it can’t handle procedural level creation.

So excited for !

Especially :

[= ;178884]

• Static Lighting on Instanced Static Meshes (including Foliage)
  • Humanoid Rig
  • Precomputed Direct Lighting from Emissive Materials
  • Precomputed Emissive Lighting
  • Keyboard and Controller input and focus unified. Controller Navigation added

[/]

Doubly so for emissive lighting. I have a level that uses only emissive crystals as a light source and I’ve had to place so many point lights to fake it!

Can you please elaborate on…

“Keyboard and Controller input and focus unified. Controller Navigation added”

Is the new controller navigation different from the current ControlRotation Setup? I’d made a post recently asking about why we have controlRotation but not controlLocation and was wondering why conceptually we have physical rotations tied up in the controller. Some clarification would be nice on the ‘official’ way that PlayerConroller is meant to be used.

sounds fantastic, good job dev.

I can’t find the web browser… anyone know where bad boy is hiding?

**** you guys work fast, another awesome update incoming then

[=;179528]
No, allows you to use emissive textures as lighting–like if you’ve got a computer screen you can have it emit light and shadows into the level. is only for static lighting though. It’s important for oddly shaped light sources.
Before, emissive textures can just glow and not actually emit light into the level.
[/]

I was convinced worked before. I guess not. Big improvement!

[=;179620]
The UE3 method was to create actual light sources out of the emissive texels. They were sampled explicitly which meant area shadows were smooth and they had bounce lighting, but they also bloated the build times significantly.

The new precomputed emissive lighting in build is simpler - it just gathers emissive lighting while gathering the GI. That means you only get direct lighting from those emissive texels, and small bright emissive spots will cause splotchiness in the resulting lighting. However build time is not affected.

Another way to think of it is that sampling of UE3 emissive texels was on purpose at a cost, while with new method it’s by accident for free.

There’s a new PrimitiveComponent option to disable behavior, which is useful on emissive light sources where you have placed a light actor (light bulb for example) so you don’t get double lighting.

I believe was just Landscape being moved out of the engine module, for better compiling iteration times.

No, static lighting is computed at lighting build time so it can’t handle procedural level creation.
[/]

good to hear was what I was hoping for because I use a lot of emissive lights in my game currently but usually just for stylistic purposes and not wanting them to illuminate the scene per say. If I want the area to glow that color I just add a light bulb and make it whatever color the emissive is. Glad the option is there to keep the behavior the same.

Hi.

Any news on when Phat will be improved.

Or when physics assets of character will no longer be rejected by the character capsule (as makes ragdolls no longer a viable option)?

No pictures ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome to be getting a preview for already.
Regrettably though, math expression nodes, an incredibly helpful addition which was added in 4.4, then broken in 4.5 (work but you can’t compile projects with them) are still broken in 4.6, which means I have to hunt through my entire project to resolve problems like , and amazing addons like iTween for UE4 that relied on countless math expresion nodes basically have to rebuild everything in a more convoluted way if they want people to be able to build projects with it. Really disappointing considering I heard in answerhub that it was recognized as a problem awhile ago and plans were made to fix it. A blueprint node that straight up breaks your ability to compile your project really shouldn’t be available when you could spend a lot of development time just testing the project in the editor.

EDIT-
Another bug found so far
When I try to get the transform or location of a named bone in 4.6 it immediately crashes (just opened a new project in 3rd person blueprint and found it happening when trying to get a bone of the default character mesh in there)

Humanoid Rig
Root motion from everything

Thank you!

Mark

Will it be some complete video tutorials for each new major features ?
That’s another blasting release :slight_smile: