Unreal Editor Crashing - nvwgf2umx Error, Access Violation Reading Location

Hello! I’ve been having consistent crashes when working in the Unreal Engine 5.1 editor for the past week or so. This just started happening very suddenly. I’ve been working on a multiplayer game in my free time, and I’m working on a character creation screen. The material for the color saturation bar on this screen keeps resetting every time I open the editor, so when I click play and then stop playing, I get an error message. When I close this error log, or any other tab in the editor, the whole editor crashes, and I get the following error report:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000200616405d0

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12Viewport::PresentChecked() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:639]
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12Viewport::Present() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:739]
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12CommandContextBase::RHIEndDrawingViewport() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:939]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FRHICommand<FRHICommandEndDrawingViewport,FRHICommandEndDrawingViewportString2035>::ExecuteAndDestruct() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHICommandList.h:855]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FRHICommandListBase::Execute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\RHICommandList.cpp:438]
UnrealEditor_RHI!<lambda_d9c5c35f8ce97cb91cdbe1d4918d55a5>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\RHICommandList.cpp:744]
UnrealEditor_RHI!TGraphTask<TFunctionGraphTaskImpl<void __cdecl(void),0> >::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1348]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:760]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:649]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRHIThread::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:332]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:149]

When I open the editor through Visual Studio, I get the following exception in WindowsD3D12Viewport.cpp:

I’ve done a ton of research to try to find out what’s wrong, and I heard that I should install the Editor Symbols for Debugging. So I did just that, but it’s still crashing with the same error report. What can I do to fix this issue?

1 Like

Hello, I’ve had the same issue on 5.0.3 when launching a newly created project. The only working solution I found so far is changing Project Settings → Default RHI from DirectX 12 to DirectX 11 as mentioned by Astrotronic in this forum post: #UE5 CRASH #UE5 Unreal Engine 5 Crash, crash, crash.... Please helpe-me

2 Likes

Hey, thank you so much! As soon as I changed the default RHI to DirectX 11 and started testing things, there were no more crashes! I’ve been messing around in the editor for a few minutes now, and it still hasn’t crashed so far. If it starts crashing again, I’ll leave another comment here, but it seems like the issue has been fixed! Thanks again!

Please note that changing the default RHI to DirectX 11 will disable Nanite. If you are concerned about maintaining access to this core Unreal 5 feature, you should stick with DirectX 12.

1 Like

That’s a fair point. At this point, UE5 might be stable enough that this crash no longer occurs, but I haven’t tested it. I don’t personally use Nanite much, but if I do, I’ll definitely have to find a different solution for this issue.