Unreal 5.0.2 causes my M1 Mac Studio to crash

I use only HDMI <-> HDMI, crashes frequently. Also tried TB to HDMI, exactly the same result on my setup.

The usage of the ports seems to be weirdly related to this problem. As I wrote earlier, I managed to stop the crashes by connecting my MacBook to my Mac Studio via USB C, set it up as second screen - but continued to work on my Studio Display with Unreal: No more freezes / crashes. If I forget to activate my Mac Book as a second screen: guaranteed freezes.

Bey GucciCobra, try changing your display text scaling and if you can plug your display cable into a different monitor.

For me complete reinstall and manual removal of the unreal services and app, and then verify, and finally changed the display text scaling, and then it worked where before it would freeze any project mine or default editor projects inmediately. So it could be the simple text scale that was what actually ended up doing it for me given what others have said worked for them.

I literally only change that one display option and so whatever you can do to change your display output seems to have the greatest chance of successā€¦

Iā€™ve been having the same issue mentioned here,on a Mac studio Max Monterey 12.4.
I seem to have it not crashing now by setting the Fixed Frame Rate in Project settings
to 60.0 fps which is the refresh rate of the external monitor Iā€™m using. For what its worth Iā€™ve also Set all the Engine Scalability settings to High.

Once running everything is working with the exception that trying to open the output Log from the bottom of main screen also produces the same lockup crash / reset behaviour.

Before I got things working (for now), I did try switching from the Thunderbolt port USB-C to DisplayPort cable I was using to just use the HDMI port to HDMI on the monitor, but that did not stop the issue for me. It was only after the Verify (and turning off Scaled text, but ultimately turning it back on after things were working).

Not really any doubt that is appears display related. At this point the magic seems to be just mess with your display settings until you find a combination that works I think.
Itā€™s weird because what works for someone seems to be what breaks it for someone else. I had my scaling off as i had really only bought it a week ago and hadnā€™t finished fully tweaking the setup. So for me turning scaling on after a verify seemed to be the ticket. For jbuch11 sounds like you had to do the opposite. There is definitely something going on with the video card/video drivers/display setting that is a big worrying in general. Wonder if we will see this in games that are made with the UNReal engine for the mac, or if this is a editor related thing only? Almost hope it gets wider issue with games as then they can fix the issue, as my guess is there are some GPU/display driver issue that they will eventually realize is there, and until then it is just messing with the display settings to find the right combination with your monitor setup to get it to workā€¦

Same issue here, M1 Max Studio + Studio Display, OS 12.4, freezing at random times and forces to restart.

1 Like

Same problem on a Mac Studio Ultra, happens at random and is really frustrating.

1 Like

I feel that issue is related to 12.4 update, everything was perfect before update.

My machine freeze and restart by itself (Apple M1 Max) while experimenting with Metahuman.

1 Like

OK update here

i change HDMI to HDMI
with using USBC Dongle

it just become normal

atleast no crash anymoreā€¦

wish it be goodā€¦

Same same same
yesterday i just get my M1Max and update to 12.4

at frist i can load a old map

then just Freez and Restart

now no work at all

TT

pls love each other Apple and Epic
as we love you all

1 Like

same from China.
Using the top-down demo project

I have the same problem with the Mac Studio freezing / crashing frequently. Also, I can not install the SketchUP Pro extension for Twinmotion. I am new to the software but it appears to be a fun program to use. Any help appreciated - maybe need to wait for a software update ? Thank you.

Same here also

Same here guys.

M1 Max Studio, macOS 12.4 and a Dell P2715Q = random freezes.

However, I have been experiencing these crashes not just in UE5 but in Cinema 4D and Vectorworks as well.
Itā€™s good to know that this is likely a MacOs issue. I was worried I had been shipped a dud.

Fingers crossed for macOS 12.5 (which is just around the corner I reckon).

same deal here, new Mac Studio Ultra, Monterey 12.4, UE5.0.2ā€¦based on some of the stuff yā€™all have said above, Iā€™m using a USB-C to C cable to my monitor, but that lets me plug it into the front of the computer, which means as soon as it freezes up, I can yank the cable, wait a second, and plug it back in pretty easily.

This is the silliest workaround, but itā€™s better than waiting for a restart cycle. Iā€™m able to pick back up where I left off. So this is definitely an apple thing, or at the very least a handshake/drivers thing. Good luck friends!

Same issue. Brand new Mac Studio M1 Max running the Latest MacOS Monterey. The problem was observed in all versions of Unreal we could install.
We also tested out Twinmotion because weā€™re considering integrating it to our VR workflow, but midway through an import it did the same crash. Freeze entire system, locked mouse, and forces entire system to reboot

So frustrating. I created a ticket on their support page for UNReal, and my post on Apple forums was removed because apple I think is hiding this and when i talked to apple support they just said it was UNRealā€™s issue not theirā€™s. Despite this only being on their hardwareā€¦

Just so dissappointed by both companiesā€¦ wish there was a way to make this more public to them so they both realize they canā€™t just keep it all hidden and ignore the problem at all our expenseā€¦

1 Like

Being QUICK to unplug and replug the monitor seems to stop the computer from crashing . This is really annoying, and such a stupid error should be easy to fix rather quickly from Apple.

Hope next macOS-update fixes this.