The Freezing will come, but just only in the Display showing UE window

so
just close the Monitor let computer switch to single display mode
and the reopen the freezing monitor

this sound very stupid
but so far it will run smooth after freeze and restart display few time。。

just wish UE and Apple Fix this soooooooon
pls。。

I switched to MacOS Ventura (2nd Beta) this week and have not had any freezes or crashes yet. :crossed_fingers: I have only had a one hour long session but previously I experienced the freeze and crash within 5 - 15 minutes, all at random times.

2 Likes

Same issues here on a new Mac studio Max. I’m going to experiment with the monitor settings

1 Like

Thanks Beairded, I tested out the MacOS-update.

I did upgrade MacOS to the latest public beta (12.5 Beta (21G5063a) ), and I have not had any crashes at all. I have played around for about 10 hours, so it seems to be pretty stable, no issues at all.

2 Likes

Beaired nice update. I don’t have my machine available as i am in the middle of a move right now, but definitely seems hopeful that Apple has identified and fixed the issue possible…

1 Like

I wanted to confirm that using a second monitor avoid any crashes. I used to have the same issue, with the random freeze and the automatic restart. It’s been working great for days now, by using my iPad as a second monitor via Sidecar.

P.S. I’m on Mac Studio M1Ultra running on MacOS 12.4

3 Likes

FIX: I connected my M1 Macbook air as an extra screen and that seems to be a loophole around crashing.

Now I can work for quite a long time. But sometimes even with the MacBook as an extra screen, I have to start it up like 3 times because it crashes the first 2 tries.

1 Like

whoa
good news!
can‘t wait 12.5 stable ver. to update!

OK
i just update 12.5
look more and more better!!

1 Like

For me MacOS 12.5 fixed it as well. 5.0.3 now runs pretty stable with two displays and no work arounds / changing resolution or display settings.

1 Like

This is not unreal specific. Mac OS does it occasionally too. Just freezes and then eventually resets. It just does it much more when using Unreal.

For me the fix for BOTH is to just switch off your monitor (if you have more than one switch off the frozen one) when you switch back on the freeze has gone.

If macos 12.5 fixes this that’s great news as this seems to be a system issue not just UE. Apple silicon (i have 3) crashes a lot more (Unity does it too but not as much as UE) so this fix is long overdue!

Installing 12.5 now

1 Like

Going to update now! Thanks for the info

1 Like

Hi all,
was having a lot of the same issues.
Mac Studio M1 max here.

I would get a complete freeze up of OS, no mouse or keyboard input and then the whole system would go black, eventually Id be prompted to enter my login password (like it was just in sleep mode)

after reading through other posts It seems to be something with the video out and the monitor. I know that Unreal is constantly updating screen, even if there is no activity… so maybe it has to do with the RHI abstraction layer between openGL / metal and the screen refresh is going haywire… Anyhow, It made me try a few things… I am using an LG monitor via HDMI out on the mac studio. not the mac monitor.

one fix (kind of) was the moment the screen froze (and mouse and keyboard) input, I would turn my monitor off, and then back on. and voila, it worked. unfortunately, each time I did this, the software was running worse and worse and worse. by the 4th or 5th time of doing the monitor off and on, the unreal editor window was flickering quite bad, and everything had a noticeable lag.

Im not sure if this is an issue that will be completely resolved with optimization based on my limited understanding of OpenGL, metal, and DIRECTX

update:
i updated MAC OS to 12.5 and I havnt had the issue since.

I do notice a slight difference in responsiveness between Unreal and Unity, so it might just be a deeper issue for MAC users. TIME WILL TELL.
It seems like divide between technology paths might be growing…

At this point… If you are looking for a new RIG specifically for working with UE5. I would say MAC Studio is not it. Hopefully that will change.

Are you able to get metahumans to work ok on a Mac studio. Particularly using all LODs since some metahumans don’t seem to work on certain specced macs and lose the hair etc?

1 Like

no luck with metahumans for some reason. not working on Mac studio max

Just wanted to chime in here, in case it helps anyone else. I have also updated to MacOS 12.5 and have been working several long days on a project and haven’t experienced the issue even once, so it looks fixed! (UE ver 5.0.2)

1 Like

Unity is Apple silicon now and Unreal is Rosetta. there should be a huge leap in performance (specially shader compilation) when Unreal is working on the newer chips