Unreal 5.0.2 causes my M1 Mac Studio to crash

Hi there,
I have the same problem of random crashes.
I have a Mac Studio M1 Max OS 12.4 with Unreal Engine 5.0.1.

I somewhere read that disabling the plugins Niagara and Alembic Groom Importer (tried importing a MetaHuman) is causing crashes but after disabling them I still have the same problem.

I hope Epic is aware of the problem and are working on it.

Best, Wolfgang

1 Like

Same. Bought a mac studio 2 weeks ago, and latest build of UNReal 5 is causing my machine to freeze up and restart eventually…

Is this just an issue with the new apple chip, or a GPU issue?

Is there a way to get this official, ie this is clearly something, we all have the same issue on the new mac studios, and I need an answer as to if I have to return this machine if UNReal is not working on a fix? Or contacting apple to get them to fix it?

Are there any ways to track bugs/tickets with UNReal, and if so has there been a ticket created for this issue yet? Seems like it has been long enough to know this is a real thing…

2 Likes

i have same issue with 5.0.2 and also 4.26.2, i need any version stable for mac studio m1 max

2 Likes

I have sent a support request to Epic. Hopefully can get some movement or a ticket number started.

I also posted a comment on the mac forums, and of course they took down my post, likely not wanting it to get out that there is an issue with their hardware…
So not sure will get any help there, despite my suspicion the issue is on their side with drivers, etc…

If i get any response I will post update here was well…

Cheers…

2 Likes

thanks

same problem here

1 Like

I just ran into the same issue. UE 5.02 on a Mac Studio M1 Max. I’ve previously been able to work in UE 4.27 without issue. It seems to happen pretty consistently when I right click/drag to pan around a blueprint node map. If I avoid that (not exactly ideal), then it doesn’t lock up.

I don’t seem to be able to go back to 5.0 or 5.01 to see if the issue exists there as well.

Tried this, avoiding right click/drag to pan. Crashed after 2 minutes while creating a landscape. :frowning:

I am afraid these crashes (or better: screen-freezes) are completely random. Until I found my “workaround” (see above) I couldn’t avoid the crashes trough any pattern. They happened sometimes immediately or 20 minutes in, under heavy cpu load or just by creating a folder - or even as I was doing nothing. Super annoying.

Same here …

POV70 I think most people who on this thread are on Mac Studios where the freeze occurs right way, and so we are not really able to do the same work around as you. ie build in monitor bypassed vs the mac studios which are all either using one or two monitors and from what I have seen it crashes in either monitor, no matter what cable the monitor is being fed with.
But because the chips are similar, and there are many similarities in the hardware between the newest mac book pros and the mac studios I can imagine the freeze is related on both.

But yea, there is no good work around for mac studios I have seen. It freezes either immediately or nearly immediately…

I put in a ticket but haven’t heard anything back yet…

I have to say bit frustrated with Epic’s bug ticket process. I submitted the bug, it sent me mail with a ticket number. And I haven’t heard anything. And when I search the bug tickets it doesn’t show up. Which means they might have outright dismissed it without bothering to test it.

Apple says it is a 3rd party software issue, and when I posted on their forum they removed it. I couldn’t even post it on their forums.

And here at Epic they probably think it is user error or ‘Apple’s issue’… typical brush off.
I might have to return my machine if this isn’t fixed soon…

Update:
I tried with 4.27 - same crashes.
I updated to 5.02 - same crashes.

I physically disconnected my monitor cable and plugged in again right after - runs for 10 minutes or so but gives me glitches and flickering on the screen. Then freezes again.
Unplugging and re-plugging again - same as above.
After 3 or 4 times unplugging and plugging in again it runs quite stable for a longer time and even glitches seem to go away.

I have the impression it is not a real crash but the monitor freezes.
When going to “quit immediately” I don’t see the usual red marked message that the program does not react anymore. Unreal Engine shows just normal which fits with it running again after reconnecting monitor.

That’s interesting. The thing about my freeses is after a bit my machines restarts. So it is more then a monitor freezing. However i believe there is something about the monitor going on. I tried to change my display fps on my mac but it wasn’t taking with my monitor setup. Be curious if someone with a more flexible monitor might be able to test playing with fps and different setting if any of that makes a difference…

But definitely the machine after freezing for me does eventually restart after a few minutes…

Just as an update. I reinstalled everything from scratch, including deleting everything in all the locations where unreal installs stuff, and then i also changed my monitor settings to be scaled text, which might not have done anything but since i did it worth mentioning just in case.
And now I have been able to load a defauit project for about 5-10 minutes, and no crash so far. I am hopeful it is fixed, and I am not sure if this means something was fixed, or if it will return again, like say next time I try to reload the same project. Who knows, but for once it isn’t freezing my machine so overall I am thankful.

I didn’t hear anything back from Epic on my ticket. Funny though I got a response asking me how happy/not happy I was with supports response to me ticket. Considering they did not even respond at all to the ticket, ‘not happy’ seems kind of appropriate still. Even just a ‘we tried it and could not reproduce’ I would at last could understand, but nothing is kind of below what I would have expected from support from a company as big as Epic.

Hope this continues to work, if i hear anything back on the ticket will still update in case it helps someone else on here…

I ended up doing a Verify, and so far so good. A project that wouldn’t open at all before now opens, and I appear to be able to work in it. I haven’t gone back to the one that was working before and tried to see if right-click dragging in a blueprint still locks it up or not. Going to work within what’s working for now and hope I don’t run into more issues.

It is interesting because i know i tried verify before. But this time after reinstalling and hitting verify myself. It worked as well. Where before i definitely had tried verify and it did not work or fix the issue.

I wonder if they fixed something under the hood and that is why we are both working now?

Fingers crossed it keeps going!!!

I just did this. Reinstalled everything and hit the verify button. Same problem as before.

This is getting nowhere . :frowning:

It definitely seems inconsistent. I’m going to do as much with it while it’s working and I can.

Another step I did was switching from 3360x1890 scaled text back to default for display (1920x1080). I did that at the same time as I did the verify. I did switch back to 3360x1890 after it started launching the project, so I don’t know if the resolution change mattered. I do know that Mac OS uses more of the GPU at anything but 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 on a 4K monitor (they are all running 4K on the monitor, just the text/interface scaling equivalents).

I had the same issue and I replaced the usb-c to hdmi by one cable hdmi-hdmi and Unreal work fine without crash, look like the problem is with the thunderboldt por to hdmi.