UNITY 5 goes free

Not really. But it do looks good.

It is fully integrated with no extra fees for the end user.

That depends, which Elemental are you referring to? The SVOGI or the current one? The current one is not as good as the U5 one, you can clearly see the difference in lighting quality.

Good to know ^^ thanks @HavocX

Haha Sweeney Retweeted Unity Tweet lol

it is a nice snook to Unity

I don’t know why, I just see a gigantic $4500 screaming at me (runz away) :confused:

To be fair, The UE Launcher is required by the editor and just included a somewhat hidden no opt out chat . You’ve always been connected to Epics servers.

Was hard to read the fine print for Unity, but really only big ones are:(excluding technical merits)
Unity+: upfront but capped royalty
Epic+: source code access

The new Pro Asset Store(that non pro can pay monthly fee to access) and the Pro Community features seem to be separating out the hobbyists. Might be just to cover costs and limit non-license users dumping poor quality assets to Marketplace.

No is not required at all. The launcher will run but in Offline mode instead, you don’t need to be connected to the internet and can close the launcher (or turn it off entirely through code).

yep 75 per month each!!

UE4 launcher is not required. It’s convenience item.
If you build from source, you don’t even get launcher (;.

That Right , i always start 4.7.exe directly without any launcher

If by variable watcher he means profiler, then is included. You’ve always been able to debug scripts in your IDE of choice regardless of version.

I think I’m beating you, I got past that screen and now I see

seems to be a bit stuck, only wanted to have a play around:)

Engine wars has begun! …from my point it useless. From artist/technical artist reminds me Max vs. Maya! :wink:

Thanks, that’s good to know, I tried closing it once but the Editor re-opened it.

I was just about to point another difference. Although its spelled out right away, its in the Software EULA:

a) includes certain features that cannot be disabled when your application is launched, including a Unity branded startup screen and certain analytics data collection;

which a few sentences down is to verify and insure revenue estimations. Third party libraries doing their own stuff is never a good deal when trying to troubleshoot.

Free with splash I think.

<removed>

******** approves!.

Unity is way easier to use so many ppl pray for it to be dominant and they can get job offers because of experience on it. Let it be that way.
Unity positions are the lower paid profession on the game bizz anyway; it keeps you too far away from the hardware and when you rely too much on that, companies won’t be able to see how you progress as a professional and you rarely will manage to get better payment checks. Let it be :slight_smile:

Not being able to turn off analytics is a deal breaker for any serious commercial projects IMO.

Of course, I long ago learned not to mess with game engines that don’t give you source code, anyway, so.

I use both engines regularly, is all around a good couple of days. and GDC starting tomorrow with nVidia conference later today I hope the good news keeps up!