UNITY 5 goes free

I’m glad Unity is cool enough to provide refunds for Unity 5 Pro pre-orders. I really ain’t gonna use it, nothing from presentation got me hyped about it.
I’m right now 100% sure I’ve done the right decision moving up to Unreal. It fits my project way better than the workflow I had to deal with on Unity.

So you like U5 but not their splash screen? Doesn’t make sense…

Has nothing to do with liking it or not.

Is correct?

Unity wants to charge the free version users of Unity 5 $19/month for Level 11 Asset Store access. What ever that is?

Its actually $90/month with VAT.

Oh yes, i saw , finally , it’s not a good deal & is total confusion…

AFAIK the limitation is just “company with less than 100k/year revenue or initial funding”.

Unity 5 is looking quite sweet, real time global illumination and physX 3.3 ftw…I can see UE4 hit a nerve as they’re using deferred rendering now and added a new reflection system. I must say it looks tempting but no thank you, I’ve found my home and I’m staying put.

A great deal. Not as great as UE4, but still great.

[QUOTE=;235642]
Let’s say, just for fun, that Unity 5 was 100% free, which it’s not.

• Annoying ad.
  • No variable watcher.
  • No teams.

(List not touching everything missing from pro that comes with Unreal.)

Stock Unreal:UNREAL PARIS 1.1 - Virtual Tour - Unreal Engine 4 | @25fps720p - OFFICIAL - YouTube
vs.

Unity Pro with Lots of Asset Engine Addons (4 granted, but the demo above was from an earlier version of Unreal 4 as well):Architectural Visualization in Unity 5 - YouTube

are individuals

I’m not comparing it with UE4. but you have to admit lighting in U5 is faster, dynamic and more flexible, the Paris demo lighting is not dynamic…

I would be interested to know why they say it is “From” $75 per month, is there more options to add to it? The page isn’t loading for me right now…

Mobile platforms still costs extra.

Unity vs Unreal reminds me of Playstation vs Xbox.

Unity fanboys are a ravenous bunch. I love how everyone thinks UE4 is “AAA” or for FPS games only and that Unity is the indie way to go. Sigh.

Most of the Indie games if not all are small games anyway. You get to cover more platforms as well.

To little, to late Unity.

355547930e77b8847f7ced7558286aa4c3dfc77b.jpeg

puts elemental to shame…

Who says you can’t use Unity 5 free version for teams? All I see is that the Team License is not included, but the team license is defined as:

“Team License facilitates efficient asset sharing and big productivity boosts for teams.”

So, you don’t have “specific” team tools to make team development easier, but it doesn’t say you can’t have a team. Unless I missed something.

However, I think their pro license is insane. $75/month is ridiculous. I only pay $49.99 for an Adobe Creative Cloud license and they give me access to every program they make, which would be thousands of dollars each for some of the bigger apps like After and Premiere Pro.

An additional drawback using unity 5 is that GI is done using enlighten, so there might be additional expenses I guess.

My only problem with UE4 is the lighting.
The past weekend I tried to work with backed lighting and I have to admit that was a pain. Try to align modular assets like blocks of a wall ( pretending to be a single block), with a seamless looking shadow. and I finally i could not get it to work well. I hope there is some improvement in that area. (Of course probably i am doing things wrong, but i must say that i tried loots of solutions searching in answerhub and the forums).
However EU4 is too good and I am very happy with it.
Probably i will use unity for some mobile gif the performance is not good with UE