Unable to start Unreal, stuck at 39%

Try the defaultengine.ini located in the \Engine\Programs\BuildPatchTool\Config folder

Remove the first . (period) in the path and save.

Change:
[Configuration]
BasedOn=…\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini

Change to:
[Configuration]
BasedOn=.\Engine\Config\BaseEngine.ini

Same problem here, didn’t have the starter content or templates with the latest update of the engine, so I added it.
Created a new blank VR project (with all the defaults set, except for ‘use starter content’ with is default at 'no starter content.
And now it’s sitting at 39%. Last entry in the log file is (…\MyVRProject\Saved\Logs\MyVRProject.log) :

"[2020.08.22-23.02.03:184] 0]LogMaterial: Display: Missing cached shader map for material DefaultDeferredDecalMaterial, compiling. "

Look at with TaskManager I see ShaderCompilerWorker.exe and Unreal Editor - MyVRProject alternating between each other in regard to CPU usage and memory usage…
Also see the "C:\Users<UserName>\AppData\Local\Temp\UnrealXGEWorkingDir" having a folder which has a lot of xge files and the datetime of the folder itselfs keeps being updated, but don’t see any changes to the Modified date of the files inside the folder itself.

So I guess it’s compiling some shaders, but seeing this is a very common problem, I would suggest Epic is adding some sort of extra progress text (which keeps changing while doing it) on the loading screen with what it’s actually doing during the 39%, so people don’t start to close the process and try to find other ways of fixing it.
(I’m using a RTX2060Super).

Works perfectly well. Thank you.

Tested on new empty project.
This way:
0. click ‘end task’ for ‘UE4Editor.exe’ process via Task Manager (if launched and stucked on 39%);

1. open your project folder (stucked project) via Explorer;
  2. delete folder in it: ‘Config’;
  3. launch editor again.

Currently my new empty project launches within some seconds.

Changing ShaderCompile process in task manager (details on process) to High worked for me. I went through each process and set them to high, noted that it was working incrementally then resolved the process!

It was mentioned in an earlier post that it was resolved by deleting the “Config” folder within the project folder that gets created. I messed around with it a bit and found that there is one line within one of the configuration files that is causing the issue, at least it was for me. Within the projects Config folder open the DefaultEngine.ini file and go to the **[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings] **section. There should be a setting called vr.InstancedStereo that is defaulted to True. Change this setting to False, save the file and launch the project. It should fire right up after making that change. I tested it several times and that one setting was the one causing this issue for me where a VR project would get stuck at 39% when loading and it was a new default project with the standard settings set. Hopefully this helps others encountering this same issue, best of luck.

2 Likes

I got the same issue today.
My laptop stuck 39% when I tried to open a project file.
Then
I open a blank new games template, with raytracing disable.
Unreal engine can start open,

Then
I enable raytracing.
restart.
and stuck at 39%
I leave it about 5 minutes and finally unreal engine can start.

I closed my blank games template.
open the unreal project I’m working at.

And I can continue working on the project.

It’s building shaders. Have to just wait. If you enable/disable a major engine feature, all those permutations have to be compiled. The bigger your project, the longer it will take.

But can we please get a progress text during THAT splash/loadingscreen, where the text is showing the same info as in the picture below (so something like “… 39% [Compiling shaders (5,52)]”) , so people know what is happening and why it’s taking so long. Also I can’t remember this being a problem with previous versions of the engine, I think it happened (for me) since .24 (at least that’s what I think).

Thanx, I had incredibuild installed when I installed VS2019, but I didn’t know about the license… Thanx to you now I have a free/valid license… And I just hope it will help a bit with loading new projects.

same problem

Exactly the same problem for me, which is odd because it never happened - I assume a Windows update. Once launched, it opens and I get the “compiling shader”-messages.
However, once I start a brand new project, I’ll get stuck at 39%. No exceptions…

It worked for me.
I was trying to open an older project from the learning section with UE 4.25.3, and this has been my solution.

same problem over here… stucked at 39%. regarding to a tutorial i changed in the new project just one option: “allow static lights” after disabling, the engine needs to be restartet. then it stucks at 39% initializing. i love this world

Same with trying to open Project: “City Park Environment Collection”
i use 4.25.3 — :frowning:

Hi! I had that same problem when I activated the Ray Tracing content in the 4.25.3 version. I just changed “Config” by “Config_old” in that new project folder that got stuck. I had to do this like in three new projects and then, the problem dissapeared and I didn’t change that name folder again. I think that the software understood by itself that error… I hope that it helps you all.

I’ve fixed it by running the “epic games launcher” clicking “settings”, scrolling right down to “edit vault cache location” then clicking “reset”

Took me a while but no projects would work till I did it
​​​

Same, stuck at 39% with any Movie projects
even downloading free examples won’t work
tried all different “solution” suggested here… no luck

How is that possible?!?!

MOST disappointing start with a new software EVER

Same problem, when I open an empty scene with raytrace “ON”.
If I delete the config file, it runs correctly, but If then I active raytrace and save, come back to stuck at 39%…
:frowning:

install DirectX12! DirectX Repair V2.1! maybe did this action you can fix the issue! good luck!

Nobody has a solution ?

I tried some stuff, but I did not find (nor understand) everything I needed, and I don’t wanna ruin my laptop.
Epic Games where are you ? I run on i9-10980HK, RTX 2080 Super, 32Go RAM and a SSD.

I’d like to be able to just even try the soft lol.

Thank you by advance if anyone does anything.

hey! i found a solution, try deleting the config file inside the project and then restart the load.

1 Like

Leave the ray tracing function off, it worked for me.
Hugs here from Brazil