Unable to start Unreal, stuck at 39%

Hello,
I am new to Unreal, and all I am trying to do is starting a blank media project and it was asking to install 2 plugins
blackmagic design media player and AjaMedia
After installing and restarting, it creates the project (I think) and it’s stuck at 39%
CPU turns 100% and see 7 processes running which are all the same (Shader compile worker)
Then I removed the 2 plugins and tried it again, but it keeps failing…

Any suggestions?

I looked at the log and see this

Starting up SwarmAgent …
… registering SwarmAgent with remoting service
… registering SwarmAgent network channels
[ERROR] Channel already registered, suggesting another SwarmAgent or client is running.
[ERROR] If you feel this is in error, check your running process list for additional copies of
[ERROR] SwarmAgent or UnrealLightmass (or other client) and consider killing them.
[ERROR] Sleeping for a few seconds and trying again…
[ERROR] Channel registration failed. Reason: Failed to create an IPC Port: Access is denied.

, Callstack: at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcServerChannel.StartListening(Object data)
at Agent.AgentApplication.Main(String] args) in D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealSwarm\Agent\AgentApplication.cs:line 125.
[ERROR] Channel already registered, suggesting another SwarmAgent or client is running.
[ERROR] If you feel this is in error, check your running process list for additional copies of
[ERROR] SwarmAgent or UnrealLightmass (or other client) and consider killing them.
[ERROR] Channel registration failed. Reason: Failed to create an IPC Port: Access is denied.

, Callstack: at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcServerChannel.StartListening(Object data)
at Agent.AgentApplication.Main(String] args) in D:\Build++UE4\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealSwarm\Agent\AgentApplication.cs:line 125.

… initializing SwarmAgent
… checking certificate
… certificate check has failed
… initializing cache
… using cache folder ‘C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.24\Engine\Binaries\DotNET/SwarmCache’
… recreating SwarmAgent cache staging area
… initializing connection to SwarmCoordinator
… using SwarmCoordinator on RENDER-01
[PingCoordinator] Determined that we couldn’t ping the coordinator
[PingCoordinator] Coordinator ping failed
… SwarmCoordinator failed to be initialized
… initializing local performance monitoring subsystem
… initialization successful, SwarmAgent now running
[PingCoordinator] CoordinatorResponding is false
[CleanCache] Clearing out the cache by user request
[CleanCache] Cache successfully cleared
[MaintainCache] Validating all cache entries and hashes
[MaintainCache] Cache hashes validated and up to date

the last parts keeps repeating

2 Likes

I got the issue resolved.
Needed to reboot the PC and it added some items to the firewall.

and had to wait like 2 hours, since it was generating items i guess ( found in an old post)

1 Like

same problem i7 6800k GHz 32Gb ram DDR4 GTX 1070 dont know what to do
how did u resolve this @pka4916 ?

3 Likes

Got the same problem…

same problem. Left it for 20 hours! Nothing. i7 6 cores + samsung 970 evo plus

2 Likes

I have the same problem, but only when trying to create a new VR project. I can create non-VR projects in a few seconds. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

2 Likes

Made a fresh install and have the same problem here. UnrealEngine seems to be fun.

Same Prob. All my projects Except one… gets stuck on 39%

For everyone having this issue, try starting up Unreal Engine as an administrator, this fixed the issue instantly for me!

3 Likes

I didn’t do anything just wait. patiently it finally run after 2 hours 20 mins of waiting, create a fresh new project VR. Then 6600 shaders start to compile after that.
Core i7 6700 3.4GHZ 16GB Ram. seem really hard even simply making an empty project!!

Wait does not work. Mine stuck at 39%.
one I waited for 22 hours. Next time I left it run almost for 2 days. Nothing. 39%

PS I7 6 cores + samsung 970 evo plus ssd + 32 Gb RAM

run as admin does not help

Funny I have an average PC with 16GB ram and I can run 2 Projects at the same time no problem.

I guess the real issue is how many Asset you have loaded in your projects.

I noticed UE4 relies heavily on the RAM to cache Assets, even when not in use.
So if you have lots of assets, you might run out of Ram pretty fast, crashing the engine in the process.

Best way to manage the Engine is to load only the assets you need.
Having tons of Quixel texture packs installed in your Project is not a good idea.

Try to Greybox as much as you can and leave the complex meshes and textures for last.

Okey. Removed all. Clean reinstall. Moved all project to other drive. Again stucked at 39% for 20 hours this time. Cannot wait longer

there have been a ton of problems with engine version 4.24, I would crash every 5 mins ( this is not a joke ), once I switched to 4.23.1, I have nearly zero crashes ( all day no crashes ),

you may want to try a different version of the engine, like 4.23.1, and see if it will load, I believe switching to 4.23.1 may fix your problem, this is a “guess” on my part, but might be worth a try.

I think I will skip 4.24 enterily at this point, and hope they fix the engine in 4.25, will have to wait and see.

God Bless you. May Jesus Christ be Charitable unto you :slight_smile:

Acts 10 : 33 - 48, google it, its Awesome.

Checked 4.25 same. stucked at 39%.

Also procmon shows that UEEditor just keeps accessing Paper2D plugin and that is it.

Guys who get stuck and after many hours vseravno does not start - maybe you do not have IncrediBuild turned on. Launch it manually, and its related services and try.

IncrediBuild? Quite costly proprietary product? 20 hours should be enough without IncrediBuild. Dammed UE absolutely unusable. Cannot even start it.

I also was freezing at 39% in 4.25.0, and then I turned off light propagation volumes: Config\DefaultEngine.ini

r.LightPropagationVolume=False

and I was able to load editor again.

3 Likes

Same here! Even starting it as administrator

Get the same problem, stuck at 39% when opening a project, but it happened after i activated “clear coat enable second normal” in project settings, after that it requested to be restarted so i did that, and now i’m here.