Unable to render nanite geometry

A debug message appears on screen saying

Nanite is used in the scene but not supported by your graphics hardware and/or driver. Meshes requiring nanite will not render.

I’m willing to bet it’s because i’m using a Quadro RTX 8000 but i’m not seeing any documentation on supported hardware for nanite. Can we get a confirmation on what hardware supports nanite?

3 Likes

When you start up the ValleyoftheAncient demo project, it tells you that for Nvidia cards Nanite is only supported for GPUs with Maxwell support and newer with the most recent Driver updates.

I reckon any RTX cards would work even the Quadro versions. Maybe you need to update your drivers?

We’ve got the same problem here with a Quadro RTX 4000, and yeah we just updated to latest GPU drivers. Then reverted to January drivers (Unreal complained about the under 500-version), then up to February (511.65 which at least made Unreal stop complaining about the version being too low) on the advice of someone on Unreal side since there might be an issue with the current newer drivers. Still, none of them worked.

The card was released in late 2018, and it’s RTX, so I’m pretty sure it’s powerful enough? Apparently analogous to something in the 2XXX range, essentially an overpriced-but-stable slightly powered up 2600 RTX.

I’m guessing this is some kind of driver oddity? Or some limitation of Nanite in current Unreal 5.0? Hopefully it’s a known problem and someone is working on it?

EDIT: Looks like the gist is that UE5 theoretically supports Quadro cards, but the practical reality is a bit more complicated. Some find some cards work, but often only in very specific circumstances. In short, driver issue, probably, that will hopefully be corrected over the next few months.

I spun up a Twitter thread here, and if you check the replies, you’ll find a ton of things to try. Everything from specific windows versions, to driver versions, to Unreal console commands. On the console commands, remember that you’ll potentially need to add them to ConsoleVariables.ini, since some of these may only work on a restart: https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/1515009525186654210

(accidentally did this on my not-for-work forums login, dangit, hence the odd name)

EDIT2: AH HAH. Got it working finally. Had to do this in ConsoleSettings.ini

RequireDX12=2

Those fixes came from this other thread about nanite bugs: [UE5] Nanite bugged in new version of UE5? - #55 by Stephen.Phillips

Note that RequireDX12=0 also works, but is apparently not advised. RequireDX12=2 ran better and worked fine. We also tried RequireAtomic64Support, but that turned out to not be helpful or necessary, didn’t change the base issue.

1 Like

Maybe this will help.
Downgraded my video drivers (prev. version) and nanite working now.

This is for AMD drivers (especially for R9 series)
DONT upgrade to 22.6.1!
Use only 21.5.2