i was getting the same error too a few min ago, managed to fix it by closing the engine and building the code from visual studio. then opened the engine and the code would build just fine from there too
ERROR: Unable to patch action graph - unexpected executable in compile action (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.19041.0\x64\rc.exe)
I’m getting the same error in UE 5.0.0 release. (Not Early Access or Preview)
PS: Using Jetbrains Rider IDE and have Rider Link plugin installed in the game.
I got it working by Running the engine from my IDE.
Got the idea after reading another post in forum. Someone got it working after using “Quick Restart” button which can be enabled if you disable instancing form Settings. Link to post for Troubleshooting Live Coding.
Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem with UE5.0.0 (final version).
First, I had the
ERROR: Unhandled exception: Dependency file “…GameModeBase.cpp.json” version (“1.2”) is not supported version error with Visual Studio 2022, then I downgraded to VS 2019, deleted the Intermediate folder, regenerated the solution with rightclicking the uproject file, then I had this ERROR: Unable to patch action graph - unexpected executable in compile action (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.19041.0\x64\rc.exe)
but only in the Live Coding screen when I start the build process from UE5.
When I start the build in VS2019, it’s successful. I am following Alexandra Kropova’s Unreal Master C++ Class tutorial, I am an experienced C++ programmer, but so far I wasn’t able to make my project running.
to be honest I am not sure what fixed it for me but I also did the restart which still showed the error. Then I closed the UE editor had the solution build from within rider and then launched the editor from rider. I don’t know why it bogged it in the first place but rebuilding and then starting from rider seemed to have done the trick.
I was stuck with this issue for a day and tried every method possible on the net, turns out I had to click on ‘ProjectEditor Win64 Development Build’ instead of ‘Project Win64 Development Build’ :'DDDDD