UEFN Projects cannot be Opened, Created or Synced. / UEFN Projects stuck on 36%

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Other

Summary

Ever since this morning every UEFN project i have gets stuck on 36% when i try to open it.
Happens on projects created before this update.

New Projects that are created after this update get stuck on 95% on the ‘Creating Project’ Stage.
This is slightly different as opening projects before this update get stuck on ‘Opening Project’ 36%

Syncing Projects also gets stuck on 10%. So this is not a solution.

Steps to Reproduce

Opening a Project ( First Error )
Creating a Project ( Second Error )
Syncing a Project ( Third Error )

Expected Result

The project should open just fine.

Observed Result

The project gets stuck on 36% when opened. Applies to syncing and creating (95%, 10%.)

Platform(s)

PC

I have the exact same problems, here are some of that things I’ve tried to do to fix it (none of them didn’t work):

• Restard my computer
  • Unishtall and Install again UEFN
  • Delete the projects and sync them again (I get stuck anyways)
  • Verify files integrity
  • Wait 1 hour at 36%

None of those solutions have worked for me and I dont find any information on what to do.

This problem started happening 29/9/2024 at morning, I’m able to open just 1 blank project I had created a while ago, also, I can’t open created new projects, this problem its only happening on UEFN, the regular Unreal Engine opens all projects without any problems

1 Like

I Spoke to somebody else who had the same issue. Their error started on 24/03/24 and this is what they did to fix it:

• Reinstalled Windows
    I highly suggest that you DO NOT do this as it can erase all files off your pc. ( as the guy who did this said )
1 Like

The status of FORT-727256 incident has been moved from ‘Needs Triage’ to ‘Needs More Info’.

1 Like

did you try this solution? did it work for you?

1 Like

WE NEED HELP!

1 Like

I just fount out that this problem happens just if you open projects backed by team revition control, I created a project that doesnt have team revition control and it opened correctly in seconds

Ofc, this is not a solution for the problem, I still need to open a project I’m working on that has revition control and I still getting stuck at 36% (or 10% if I try to sync in a project I dont have on my local files that does have revition control)

I’m still looking up for solutions

1 Like

yep, it was revision control.
ive tried looking for a config or any form of .ini file to try and open it in notepad++ to manually disable revision control but ive not found anything. let me know if you can find any solutions.

2 Likes

figured out a temporary solution. do the following:

• Create a new project whilst having revision control disabled
  • Open the project content directory in file explorer
  • Copy the content folder of any of your previous projects
  • Close and re-open UEFN
    This essentially migrates one of your projects to a new one! Keeping content ( but not levels) intact! meaning youve now created a working copy of your previous project.

Okay, I was able to solve it for myself. Since I had Windows 10 anyway and I wanted Windows 11, I updated to win.11 and it’s been working again since then. So if you’re planning on doing it anyway, now is the best time :wink:

1 Like

Upvoting. It’s not working for me either.

@JakusCreates @TheroDex @scouseingo @FernandoMVFX

1. Can you confirm whether this issue is still occurring in version 29.20 released yesterday?

2. If so, can you please check Windows Defender and see if there is a warning about urc.dll or anything else related to urc? We’ve seen other reports on X that Windows defender was incorrectly flagging it as malware, and that allowing it resolved the issue.

3. If it is, can you please confirm whether allowing it resolves the issue for you, and also confirm what Windows version and OS build you have (found in the About page of your PC Settings)?

2 Likes

Cross-posting here from the official response on Twitter:

" After investigating we’ve learned that urc.exe was being incorrectly flagged and the false positive is corrected in updated versions of Microsoft Defender.

You can find info on updating Windows Defender here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates "

1 Like

Just for more data, ESET is also flagging it as a suspicious object and deleting it :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve fixed the problem by updating from windows 10 to windows 11, and UEFN its launching and working correctly ever since (including latests updates ofc)

Now, talking about false positives, I use AVAST as an anti-virus, and I checked if I had anything related to UEFN flagged as a virus or malware but I didn’t see anything in there, I even restarted my pc with all anti-viruses off and even turned off my firewalls (do NOT do that) and I still was not able to open a project in UEFN that was backed by revision control.

Again, what worked for me was to update my windows 10 to 11, and everything still working fine.

1 Like

Thank you for the additional context @CharlieTheTall and @FernandoMVFX ! We are still investigating what the underlying issue is here, but this context is very helpful know.

@CharlieTheTall were you able to get unblocked by marking it as not suspicious in ESET?

@gxg_work ESET allowed me to take it out of quarantine, but also says that it deleted the urc.dll file. I tried upgrading to Windows 11 (as it fixed the issue for others), however, ESET is still grabbing it, quarantining / deleting. Opening UEFN projects still halting at 36%. If it helps, I’m using ESET Smart Security Premium version 17.0.16.0 (the latest as of this writing).

Edit - I reached out to ESET support. I’ll let you know what I hear back.

1 Like
  1. の方法によって解決しました。情報に感謝します。環境は Windows バージョン 23H2(OSビルド 22631.3447) です。

Hey guys! I had the same problem from today, I am not sure yet if is a definitive fix but what I have done from the launcher is opening another project, and then once is open, go to FILES / NEW OPEN PROJECT, and the one that was stuck at 36% it opened.

1 Like

Hi, I met same issue today.
Also, I could fixed this issue with 2nd way that you suggested.

Note:
I applied the Windows Security update 1.409.269.0, but it didn’t resolve the issue.

My Windows ver is below:
Windows 11 Pro 22H2(22621.3447)

1 Like