UE5 VR Template Only Teleports to Centre of Play Area

Hi All,

I am using a HTC Vive Pro, SteamVR 1.15.19 (yes, I know it’s old…) and Unreal Engine 5.0.3 with the standard VR template file.

When teleporting, there is no teleportation arc and I am only able to teleport to the centre of my play area where the circle is shown (there is also a tiny square seemingly randomly placed). The controller direction/orientation has no affect on the location of the teleport landing spot.

I’ve tried UE4.27 and an even older version of SteamVR, no change.
The VR editor function shows a perfectly fine arc too, so I think it’s down to the VR template.

Any ideas? All thoughts welcome!
I’ve mapped the VRPawn to Player 0, including inputs.
I have not changed any input mapping or blueprints.

The VR template is set up for the OpenXR plugin, which provides and aim pose for the teleport arc. The SteamVR plugin doesn’t provide the pose, see this thread on how to fix it.

1 Like

Hi Rectus_SA, thanks for your prompt message.

I will not have the chance to test this until tomorrow, however, would the controller mapping still be the case given it works perfectly fine in the VR Editor function of the game?
I’ll definitely read through your linked post and try to better understand it, I’m just confused why the controllers would work in editor but not in ‘game’.

P.S. I’m an Unreal Engine noob and not a game designer at all…
Have previously used a different Vive Pro with UE4.27 on a different PC in 2019 and didn’t have to do any additional controls mapping.

Cheers,
DB.

The VR editor is deprecated and hasn’t been updated by Epic in a long time, so it still only uses features that are available in the legacy SteamVR plugin. The VR template on the other hand was updated for 4.27 to show off features in the new OpenXR plugin. Epic isn’t supporting the SteamVR plugin anymore, so they have not set up the template to be compatible with it. 4.26 and older versions of Unreal have a different template project that supports the SteamVR plugin.

There is also a Valve-made example project available designed just for the legacy SteamVR plugin.

Just wanted to say that I followed your first post link and copied Spaceside’s ‘working solution’, everything is now fixed.

Can’t thank you enough!