Can't Aim Teleport Arc in VR Template With Steam VR Plugin Enabled

Hello,

I’m just starting with Unreal and a Valve Index for a VR viewer. I am using the VR template as a starting point, it works fine when the SteamVR plugin is disabled but once I enable it the teleport aim/arc appears to spawn a fixed distance from the origin instead of being aimed from the controller. It’s not an issue with the navmesh/collisions as it even happens in the template map before I change anything.

Has anyone had this issue and been able to fix it?

2 Likes

The template uses the OpenXR aim pose to orient the teleport arc. This doesn’t exist in the SteamVR plugin. To fix it, you would have to change it to orient the arc from another pose.

Is that just a matter of changing the VRPawn blueprint? If so how do I do that?

Yes. Depending on the version of the template, you will need to change either the component used or change it from using the GetMotionControllerData node. If you need control over the direction the beam is pointing, you can parent a component onto the motion controller component and use the pose of that instead.

The template is made for the OpenXR plugin though. Unless you need something from the SteamVR plugin, it might be a better option to switch to it instead, as Epic doesn’t seem to be deprecating support for the legacy plugins.

2 Likes

Using a Get Right Hand Pose Data lets me aim the arc - but it always starts from where I spawn, not the current position of the controller :S

I may aswell use the OpenXR plugin instead, is there a way to use the SteamVR models for the controllers though? It seems the valve index controllers in the OpenXR template aren’t aligned correctly and are way less detailed.

The Get Right Hand Pose Data Node returns poses relative to the VR tracking space. To get the correct value you would have to transform it using the output of a “Get Tracking to World Transform” node.

There is no automatic way to get controller models using OpenXR yet. You would have to manually import and align each controller model. The SteamVR model origins do not match up with the OpenXR poses, and are no specifications on Valves part on how they are aligned.

3 Likes

Thanks for you help, heres what ended working.

5 Likes

非常感谢,解决了我困扰许久的一个问题