UE5 Modifying Lyra (Tips & Tricks)

Hey everyone, I thought it would be a good idea to start a general discussion on modifying Lyra.

I’ve successfully updated with Metahumans and custom clothing Skeletal Mesh’s.

Discovered ‘B_PickRandomCharacter’ controls spawning character easily.

Starting to look at how I can change the initial spawning weapon from a Pistol to Unarmed followed by building in melee weapon mesh’s and animations. Getting a bit lost on this, If anyone has worked this out and has advice it would be appreciated.

Cheers

5 Likes

Have you found anything out as far as melee animations go?

1 Like

Lyra has been setup to load animations / montages etc. from weapon Abilities. I’ve drawn a diagram using the Pistol as an example. I’ve gotten a melee equipped and now working on melee abilities as they will be significantly different form what’s been configured for Pistol etc. as ranged weapons. It would have been great if the Epic team included one :wink:

6 Likes

Also I found the setting for the initial Experience Weapon in ‘InitialInventoryItems’ Variable in the B_Hero_ShooterMannequin Blueprint

1 Like

7 Likes

Please share how you updated with Metahumans. This would be the first step in getting our own characters into the Lyra. I personally also want to change the characters camera system and animations. Change the Maps to something akin to the City Map. This would definitely help me move forward adding some action combat to my game and tech demos.

The new Manny and Quinn Skeletons are directly compatible with Metahumans, you simply import the Metahuman 1. Go to the MH skeleton and add the compatible skeleton followed by 2. setting the MH animation class in the MH Character BP. There are lots of YouTube video’s available on this.

In the Original post I advised how to set the character select for the Lyra Game Experience :+1:

2 Likes

This is great stuff! Nathan if you have a discord or media where you share your progress I would love to follow. Sounds like we are working with a similar situation. I plan to modify for melee attacks/abilities as well as magic and archery also. I have not seen anyone do this heavy modification yet, only easy modifications mostly. I’ve added a sword to a pickup spawn, and equipped it as well. Have added my own characters and maps. All of that is very easy. As well as modifying the camera offset curves. The animations and using or customizing Lyra’s parent ability VS using a self created one are what I’m diving into next.

No discord as yet. I’ll set one up in the future. More for community building and game trialing rather than technical development sharing :+1:

1 Like

All good! Goodluck with your work. Can’t wait to see what else others are doing with Lyra.

I followed Lyra Starter Game Overview approx 19:00 minute mark. I followed that exactly and i have all my male skeletons working correctly, My female meta’s, have weapons held way above eye level. Any Ideas?

Would you mind sharing what parent class are you using for your Melee Weapon Instances? The Parent Class of Lyra Weapons being Lyra Ranged Weapon Instance is obviously not needed. Just curious if you modified the C++ Parent for Melee Instances or just used Lyra Weapon Instance itself which is only Equipped/Unequip Anim Set. Thinking about how to proceed myself. Thanks!

Found answer, the Lyra models are gynormous compared to Metahumans. You can adjust the weapons individually(pistol-lower/back/left/right) shootercore content> Weapons>pistol >WD_Pistol. WD = Weapon definition, their are xyz coords that can be changes. You still have to lower the Meta’s arms.

Might kick of a Discord to Initially discuss Lyra Modifications : 1. UE/Lyra Dev Network

1 Like

I’ve been trying to document things I’m learning about Lyra. It is far from an exhaustive guide, but there is some good info for anyone who is trying to figure out how Lyra is put together:

5 Likes

Loving your work xi57. I’ve been following it as you go, it helped me to get to where I am. Looking forward to seeing what else you do. We do have a discord where we are tackling more complex parts, linked above.

1 Like

Great Work xi57 , I’ve assigned an Attribute set in Lyra, struggling to get the UI to effectively update progress bars however (Stamina/Mana), tried a few concepts such as ‘Listen for Attributes Changes’ like in GAS Documentation, unsuccessfully thus far. Feel free to cover this one… hint… hint :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m working on a tutorial about doing C++ client-server RPC in Lyra Gameplay Abilities. Once it’s done I’ll take a look at attributes, I haven’t yet dug into that but I definitely need to.

2 Likes

The first part of the tutorial is done, a high level overview of the Gameplay Ability System as Lyra implements it:

I hope to finish the client-server part of the discussion tomorrow in a follow-up tutorial and then I’ll likely move on to Gameplay Attributes.

3 Likes

Can’t wait! I ended up creating a c++ attributeset for Stamina, along with a Stamina Component. Very much like the Health Set and Health Component. That allowed me to mostly duplicate the HealthBar and create a Stamina Bar. It works very well. I have not looked into the Bomber game mode but someone said there is a more traditional attributeset used there.

1 Like