UE5 lagging when opening right click menu

Whenever I right click and a submenu shows up UE5 just freezes and sometimes crashes. GPU utilization goes up to like 70% from like 10%. I tried what this user suggested here but it didn’t help.
Specs
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: Radeon 6900xt

2 Likes

Hey!
I personally don’t run windows 11 for reasons such as these. I don’t believe it’s battle tested enough yet for development (I may be wrong).

However, I do just think this is a graphics card related issue.

I would try a couple things:
-try the solution in that post again and try restarting your pc.
-try reverting to a previous version of the amd software.
-try a different gpu.
-try deleting binaries folder in your project (not sure how much this would help though).

1 Like

Hi!
Thanks for the advice, but could you clarify what you mean by “Deleting the binaries folder”
Also swapping GPU isn’t possible for obvious reasons.
Also it only seems to be lagging on this one project file and on others it works fine.

In your project folder, you can open it in file explorer and delete the binaries folder there. And then run the project again for it to create those files you deleted.

You can move the binaries folder to the desktop temporarily if you believe this will cause further errors.

Also are there any error log messages or crash reports?

Hi,
I’m unable to recreate the crashing but for some reason when UE5 isn’t maximised it doesn’t lag at all.

I’ve tried the first two options you proposed but they didn’t seem to work.

Could you provide the directory for the binaries folder because i cant seem to find it :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Hello GabToTheMax! I am getting the exact same problem just recently! I had no problems with UE5 but a couple of days ago Ive been getting the same crash everytime I right click or open a drop-down menu. It doesn’t happen with non-expanded editor as you mentioned. Did you find a solution to this problem? Thankyou very much!

1 Like

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply Jorjouto but no, I haven’t found a solution to this issue yet. However what I’ve simply been doing is having UE5 “not maximised” but expanded just enough so its covers the whole screen with tiny bezels around the edges. Ill make a further reply if I find a proper solution.

I just built a new PC and am getting this same issue. Ryzen 7700x and 6950XT
…Sad Panda

IF YOU HAVE YOUR TASKBAR SET TO AUTO-HIDE; UNCHECK THAT OPTION AND IT WORKS!

Hopefully this solution helps others with this issues as well.

11 Likes

Can confirm, I’m on dual AMD PC and un checking taskbar hiding did the trick !

1 Like

this worked for me too not sure why though

Mannn you saved me. I would never think that problem is with Auto-Hide Taskbar.

Other solution:
If you want stay with Auto-Hide Taskbar.
Put the widow of Task Manager as Always on Top and leave it on top of the unreal.

Untitled

1 Like

Hi, I’m back with another solution.

I installed an old version of AMD driver and works fine, the last driver is that cause the lag.

Adrenalin 22.5.1 (WHQL) Release Date: 10/5/2022

I have an AsRock RX 6800 Phanton Gaming with a Ryzen 9 5900x.

For anyone else still having this issue (with multiple monitors), make sure you have “show taskbar on all displays” checked / enabled or else the lagging issue will still occur. No Idea why, but it works.

Hey everyone!
I have the same problem too.
My PC: Ryzen 9 3900, 6900XT driver version 23.3.1, Win10 19044.2604.

I recently used 3090RTX. And I was getting another problem with the context menu there. It went black, didn’t render. I had to restart the editor.

Hopefully these issues will be fixed in the future.

The issue is still present on AMD and I can confirm that turning off hide taskbar worked perfectly!!

i had the same problem and this works for me. thanks!

I’m running UE 5.3.2 and for me the “hover” animations of everything inside the menus is lagging extremely. I have a i9 14900 and a 4070, so I doubt my specs are the reason for it. But I also could not find other people reporting this.

Is there maybe some kind of a setting in the editor to disable these hover animations?

1 Like

I have an AMD FX 6300 cpu with dual boot windows 8.1 and windows 10
I have the same lagging problem that started in UE5.
The issues is the same in windows 8.1 and windows 10.
UE4 is fast and fine.

The fact that my processor is from over 10 years ago, shows it’s not just a ryzen issue but an AMD issue. I wonder what cpu Epic uses in house.

UE5.3.2 enables a new option called “Non-Blocking Context Menu” in the editor preferences which is clearly just a temp/workaround fix. So I assume Epic is aware of the problem just hasn’t actually solved the root of the problem yet.

Im having the same issue here on 5.3.2, amd 3950x gtx 4070 and 128b of ram, its a new empty project