UE5 for M1 Apple Silicon

Same Problem … :face_vomiting:
It’s so difficult to stabilize and test an M1?

anyone else getting this error with Xcode 14 and 5.1 source? "Could not attach to pid : “52948” . here is the full dump:

Showing All Messages

Launch UnrealEditor

Platform: macOS

Operating System Version: 13.0 (22A5365d)

Model: MacBook Pro (MacBookPro18,2)

Install Actions
Installing on My Mac

Launch arguments:
sylvania
-RunConfig=

Environment variables:
MallocNanoZone=1
__XPC_DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/xx/Documents/UnrealEngine-5.1.0-preview-1/Engine/Binaries/Mac
__XPC_LLVM_PROFILE_FILE=/dev/null
LLVM_PROFILE_FILE=/dev/null
__XPC_DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=/Users/xx/Documents/UnrealEngine-5.1.0-preview-1/Engine/Binaries/Mac
PERFC_SUPPRESS_SYSTEM_REPORTS=1
OS_ACTIVITY_DT_MODE=YES
SWIFTUI_VIEW_DEBUG=287
SQLITE_ENABLE_THREAD_ASSERTIONS=1
METAL_DEVICE_WRAPPER_TYPE=1
NSUnbufferedIO=YES
METAL_DEBUG_ERROR_MODE=0
CA_ASSERT_MAIN_THREAD_TRANSACTIONS=0
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Users/xx/Documents/UnrealEngine-5.1.0-preview-1/Engine/Binaries/Mac:/usr/lib/system/introspection
__XCODE_BUILT_PRODUCTS_DIR_PATHS=/Users/xx/Documents/UnrealEngine-5.1.0-preview-1/Engine/Binaries/Mac
DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/lib/libBacktraceRecording.dylib:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/lib/libMainThreadChecker.dylib:/usr/lib/libRPAC.dylib:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/Library/Debugger/libViewDebuggerSupport.dylib
CA_DEBUG_TRANSACTIONS=0
DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=/Users/xx/Documents/UnrealEngine-5.1.0-preview-1/Engine/Binaries/Mac

Launching new instance of UnrealEditor

View debugging: enabled
Insert view debugging dylib on launch: enabled
Queue debugging: enabled
Memory graph on resource exception: disabled
Address sanitizer: disabled
Thread sanitizer: disabled

Using LLDBRPC, LLDB framework is from /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks

Could not attach to pid : “52948”
Domain: IDEDebugSessionErrorDomain
Code: 3
Failure Reason: the platform is not currently connected
User Info: {
DVTRadarComponentKey = 855031;
IDERunOperationFailingWorker = DBGLLDBLauncher;
RawUnderlyingErrorMessage = “the platform is not currently connected”;
}

Analytics Event: com.apple.dt.IDERunOperationWorkerFinished : {
“device_model” = “MacBookPro18,2”;
“device_osBuild” = “13.0 (22A5365d)”;
“device_platform” = “com.apple.platform.macosx”;
“launchSession_schemeCommand” = Run;
“launchSession_state” = 1;
“launchSession_targetArch” = arm64;
“operation_duration_ms” = 12561;
“operation_errorCode” = 3;
“operation_errorDomain” = IDEDebugSessionErrorDomain;
“operation_errorWorker” = DBGLLDBLauncher;
“operation_name” = IDERunOperationWorkerGroup;
“param_consoleMode” = 0;
“param_debugger_attachToExtensions” = 0;
“param_debugger_attachToXPC” = 1;
“param_debugger_type” = 3;
“param_destination_isProxy” = 0;
“param_destination_platform” = “com.apple.platform.macosx”;
“param_diag_MainThreadChecker_stopOnIssue” = 0;
“param_diag_MallocStackLogging_enableDuringAttach” = 0;
“param_diag_MallocStackLogging_enableForXPC” = 1;
“param_diag_allowLocationSimulation” = 1;
“param_diag_checker_tpc_enable” = 1;
“param_diag_gpu_frameCapture_enable” = 0;
“param_diag_gpu_shaderValidation_enable” = 0;
“param_diag_gpu_validation_enable” = 0;
“param_diag_memoryGraphOnResourceException” = 0;
“param_diag_queueDebugging_enable” = 1;
“param_diag_runtimeProfile_generate” = 0;
“param_diag_sanitizer_asan_enable” = 0;
“param_diag_sanitizer_tsan_enable” = 0;
“param_diag_sanitizer_tsan_stopOnIssue” = 0;
“param_diag_sanitizer_ubsan_stopOnIssue” = 0;
“param_diag_showNonLocalizedStrings” = 0;
“param_diag_viewDebugging_enabled” = 1;
“param_diag_viewDebugging_insertDylibOnLaunch” = 1;
“param_install_style” = 0;
“param_launcher_UID” = 2;
“param_launcher_allowDeviceSensorReplayData” = 0;
“param_launcher_kind” = 0;
“param_launcher_style” = 99;
“param_launcher_substyle” = 8192;
“param_runnable_appExtensionHostRunMode” = 0;
“param_runnable_productType” = “com.apple.product-type.application”;
“param_runnable_type” = 2;
“param_testing_launchedForTesting” = 0;
“param_testing_suppressSimulatorApp” = 0;
“param_testing_usingCLI” = 0;
“sdk_canonicalName” = “macosx12.3”;
“sdk_osVersion” = “12.3”;
“sdk_variant” = macos;
}

Could not attach to pid : “52948”

Activity Log Complete 10/14/22, 9:15 AM 60.2 seconds

1 Like

Along with the dithering-lod per material, I’ve noticed this black-vertex-glitch goes away when I disable Fast-Math intrinsics and optimizations in Project Settings > Platforms > Mac. Though obviously that’s not ideal for performance.

2 Likes

its work for me:

1 clone ue5-main in your mac and open the root folder on terminal
2 use command git checkout 40e3b5463fc9d157cad934e390936695a0625e21
3 open Setup.command file and wait done on root folder
4 open GenerateProjectFiles.command file and wait done
5 open UE5.xcworkspace with xcode 13.4.1
6 click on hammer and change build to New Build System
7 select ShaderCompileWorker/My Mac (not rosetta), CMD + B and wait build arm64
8 select UE5/My Mac (not rosetta), CMD + B to build UnrealEditor.app
9 open UnrealEditor.app from YOUR_GIT_CLONE/Engine/Binaries/Mac

1 Like

5.1 Preview 2 still Intel binary

Actually seems that the version downloaded from the launcher will stay as a Intel binary

2 Likes

Very helpful, thank you! @Kuutti_gamer

That hadn’t been in the roadmap previously; I wonder how permanent of a solution they intend for that to be. Further, this makes me wonder more about comparability of marketplace content with ARM.

1 Like

Oh shhh epic games what is so difficult to create a if statment and check which arch the system is running and then download the binary???

I expect what this means is just that Apple Silicon support will remain “experimental” for 5.1, and that it will become a launcher option at some point in the future. Initial compatibility isn’t going to be sufficiently stable, performant, or feature-complete to be the default.

3 Likes

Does cache need clearing if I want to run Setup.command from a different commit?

Ended up cloning the repo from scratch and building anew.

[Edited] A faster method is to use git clean and clear out untracked files and dirs.

Hi, this is almost working for me. I’ve gotten as far as Building UE5/MyMac but I’m getting this error: “linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)” I have tried manually deleting derived files and Product>Clean Build Folder. I’m about to start over from the beginning, but I’m wondering if anyone has some more suggestions.

I had the same issue. If you find any possibility to fix this, please let me know.

Anyone know how to get Rider to build for Apple Silicon? I can launch 5.1 from Xcode fine as a native app but when I launch from Rider its always Intel.

The 5.1 public branch built for me for arm using xcode 14.1 on Ventura 13.0.1 – Slight hiccup the build crashes xcode half way through but restarting and then continuing where it left off seems to have worked. :+1:

5 Likes

Unreal Engine 5.1 is out and according to the release notes:

Native Apple Silicon support is available for macOS targets for both editor and project builds. Editor support for Apple Silicon is experimental

Most plugins (Quixel?) are not working yet:

Some third-party SDKs and plugins do not yet contain ARM64 slices and may have compatibility issues.

Did anyone else try it out yet?

On my M1 Max build of ShadeCompileWorker took 78s. UE5 build errored after 38 minutes and showed: “unexpected service error: The Xcode build system has crashed. Build again to continue.” - BUT second try succeeded after 20s. Total folder size is now 133GB but I guess the source files can be deleted (it was 80GB?).

Didnt test UE 5.1 in detail yet but editor starts up after an endless time of “Compiling Shaders”. First person level has over 40FPS in full 4k.

BTW I recommend you guys to always install from tags that mark a specific commit as an official release. Dont use the branches directly, they are active development branch and the latest commit may or may not contain errors.

Clone 5.1 release (if you didnt clone the repo yet):
git clone git@github.com:EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git --single-branch --depth 1 -b 5.1.0-release
(with “–single-branch --depth 1” it goes super fast because it doesnt download the full git history and instead just the one commit that we want)

Pull 5.1 release (if you already cloned the repo):
git checkout tags/5.1.0-release

Also after pulling the commit/tag you can delete the hidden .git folder to save 21GB if you dont plan to pull the next version version soon.

2 Likes

I saw the answer somewhere (not sure if it was in this thread), you need to change some config values.

1 Like

Anybody could see where that thread is, please kindly include it as a reply here. I’m also wanting to do UE 5.1 on my M1 Max, but experiencing issues as described by the TS.

1 Like

I built UE 5.1 (as described above) but Global Illumination is not working at all for movable objects (neither with Lumen and Standalone Ray Traced). Further setting a light to static in Lumen results in no light at all and no GI.

Also point lights are not working at all. I described it in more detail here:

Anyone else having this problems with UE 5.1? And was it working before with 5.0.x?

1 Like
Compatibility Notes

Unreal Editor

As of late 2021, Unreal Editor does not support the ARM64 architecture used by M1 Macs and newer. Instead, it relies on the Rosetta2 translator.

Future versions of Unreal Engine will introduce direct support for M1 Macs, but in the meantime, you should expect a performance impact when running Unreal Editor on M1 Macs and newer.

Unreal Engine Projects

Although Unreal Editor currently runs with Rosetta2, Unreal Engine can output packaged builds for projects with support for ARM64.

detail from:

https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/c/810-unreal-editor-native-support-on-apple-silicon-experimental?utm_medium=social&utm_source=portal_share

1 Like