UE5 for M1 Apple Silicon

Thanks for this great info. May I ask what you settings were at? Were you in Cinematic or Epic or High? Thanks! I’m looking at getting the M1 Studio Max for UE 5 projects and am encouraged by your post.

1 Like

This guy is using UE5 on his M1Max Laptop. He was using UE 5 Early Access 2 and found it to be more stable than UE Preview 2. He seems to be pretty happy with the performance, getting 120fps with the Third Person Example template.

3 Likes

Epic Games, what is the status on support for Apple silicon, come on, the M1 ULTRA would be perfect with UE5.

Drop the lawsuits and get back to building great tools

9 Likes

I don’t know. Just the default in first person scene. I’ll check it again for you.

1 Like

Thanks Kuutti!

Any update now that UE5 is officially out?

8 Likes

Seems that as I packaged the game performance is really good. Over 120fps in fullscreen and everything. Still not native tho.

2 Likes

Which game are referring to that’s “packaged”. Do you mean the new Lyra game template they packaged as a download from Marketplace with UE 5? What M1 did you get the 120fps with?

No just basically a blank project with a simple first person character. That as packaged and not in the editor runs really nicely on M1 Pro. (10c/16c)

1 Like

Cool. Good to know these numbers. I’m looking at getting a Mac Studio for UE5 so I’m encouraged by this. Thanks!

1 Like

Not sure about that.

1 Like

Now that UE5 is out, it would be great to have an official roadmap for native support

9 Likes

So does UE5.0.1 support Nanite and Lumen on MacOS? I’m on Intel Mac.

I don’t really care about realtime performance as I’m using UE for video, not for game development. I looked up official documentation but came up short. Thanks!

PS: please refrain from recommending using Windows for UE, I do use it. I just vastly prefer working in MacOS.

3 Likes

I have a MacPro (RX580 GPU) with triple boot : BigSur, Monterey and Win10Pro.
UE501’s Nanite and Lumen are only working on Win10Pro.
I guess we need to be patient for UE5 to be ported natively on Intel/Apple Silicon MacOS.

1 Like

Thank you! I can definitely enable Nanite in the Asset editor (the static mesh viewer). I’ll need to investigate further.

1 Like

what is the status on the apple silicon front?

I guess it’s still not native but do nanite and lumen, Ue5 as a whole, work via rosetta?

m1 max 사용중.
막 UE 5.0.1 설치.
샘플 탭에 있는 샘플 사용불가로 나옵니다.
왜?

As of today, Nanite still does not work on macOS (neither AS nor Intel). Lumen “works,” but the engine is unstable and unpleasant to operate in Rosetta.

1 Like

Im glad this post exists. I was considering buying a mac book pro and use unreal on it, now I’m convinced It would have been the most expensive paper weight ever…

2 Likes

If you purely care about Unreal Engine, then yeah unfortunately. Things like Houdini and Blender have native versions though, so you could have an on the go asset machine and an at-home proper game dev machine. Or just get one gaming laptop.

1 Like