UE5 for M1 Apple Silicon

The thing is if you only use Unreal for developing iOS games, it’s important that the new chips be supported. I really hope they started working on a native version of UE5…

9 Likes

A lot of useful comments in here and I appreciated it.

Once UE5 support Lumen / Nanite on M1 Max - MBP is must buy for me. Done!

…but UE5 native support on M1 would happen???

3 Likes

I wish Epic would give us some sort of Mac roadmap. Unlike Linux and Microsoft, Epic is in a huge lawsuit with Apple, so users of this platform need more than just a tweet to feel like they can invest their time and money into Unreal.

Just feels like Epic is disincentivized to put resources into Apple when Apple is screwing them over financially, and that feeling is reinforced with the lack of clarity over what features UE5 on Mac may or may not support. If Epic really supports Mac devs 100% we’re going to need more communication. Otherwise Devs are going to feel forced to work with Unity because Apple actively promotes and optimizes Unity.

It’s okay if Apple is hostile to Epic, but Epic then needs to be extra-generous to Mac devs now or else they’ll be shooting themselves in the foot. Unreal Mac devs need more support hellllooooooooo

7 Likes

This bodes well: “Metal-cpp is a low-overhead C++ interface for Metal that helps developers add Metal functionality to graphics apps, games, and game engines that are written in C++.”

“ * No measurable overhead compared to calling Metal Objective-C headers, due to inlining of C++ function calls.”

1 Like

Please keep the discussion on topic and civil. We had to clean up this thread and remove a number of posts. Keep it clean, or we will be forced to close this topic. Don’t turn this into laptop/PC or Mac/Windows war.

Thank you.

8 Likes

I would bet M1 optimization is going to happen! Epic is hiring Apple platform programmers.

11 Likes

Great to hear! Here’s another tiny source of optimism. I read that both Epic and Apple are one of only a half-dozen or so big corporate contributors to the open-source Blender 3D development fund Blender’s using to hire more software engineers (I think Epic & Apple each contributed $160K/year or so). Nothing major, but it’s just good to hear that both companies are working on something together & HOPEFULLY communicating with each other for the common goal (although I wish it was all about getting UE working with Metal, etc.) Every little bit helps to get these companies lovin’ each other again, ha!

3 Likes

Greetings john-michaelS!

We see that this is your first time posting in our forums! :medal_sports: To add to the wave of optimism, we wholeheartedly welcome you to the Unreal Engine Community, and we thank you for your contribution to the discussion!

5 Likes

Appreciate the welcome! Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you for starting this thread @fkkcloud, I’m watching it very closely. I’ve been studying UE for making short films with my 16" MBP Intel. I’ve been holding off pulling the trigger on upgrading to the M1 MAX because I would lose support for Nanite and Lumen which I currently have on my 16" MBP Intel machine. I’m hoping that once Epic released the official version of UE5, it will have native support for M1 with nanite and lumens… :pray:t4::pray:t4:

3 Likes

Many developers and artists currently waiting for lumen and nanite support for apple m1…Unity is already supporting native M1. UE5 is falling behind. let’s see what the future will bring…

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t4::crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

Unity doesn’t have Lumen and Nanite

And if Lumen and Nanite actually worked without compromising almost everything, you may have a point…

3 Likes

True, Unity doesn’t have lumen and nanite features, but all of Unity’s current features are already natively supported on apple M1 computers, unlike UE5 that still requires rosetta emulation to run on a mac M1 and still doesn’t support all of its features. I’m not saying that this would be an easy task, but developers and artists deserve some clear communication from Epic in this respect, so that we can evaluate the possibility of waiting further for this support to arrive or to move from mac to windows pc’s in order to use these UE5 features. Epic’s silence in this regard is totally not acceptable. This community needs to know what will be supported and when (or if) these features will ever be supported on mac.

13 Likes

Just tested UE5 Preview 2 on my M1 Pro MBP. Performance in FPS template is decent at 30fps but if it was native I’m 100% sure it would be at least 60fps and maybe closer to the full ProMotion 120fps that these displays allow. This is just another request for M1 Native Unreal Engine to happen. It’s really great engine but I just hate that it leaves so much performance on the table. Even just packaging Native games would be enough for now but please do something. Also why isn’t fullscreen working on Mac still…

4 Likes

Does anyone know of a post or a guide for optimal settings for UE5 on M1 Mac? Right now UE5 crashes too much on my M1Max.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in this also. On my M1 Unreal runs fine on lower settings but the editor randomly becomes unresponsive although I can’t trace the problem to anything and the CPU overhead is still low,

1 Like

https://portal.productboard.com/epicgames/1-unreal-engine-public-roadmap/c/345-apple-silicon-support-for-runtime-beta Here in the roadmap it shows packaging native games as being developed but it also shows summer 2021… Where is it? I’d rather get a official announcement that the support isn’t coming than just waiting for nothing.

2 Likes

Most people in this thread are after native support for the editor, not for ARM to be a compile target.

7 Likes