UE5 crashes when simply clicking on drop down menus.

Whenever I click on ANY drop down menu and hover over it it completely glitches out and the editor crashes. Also happens when the save level window opens. It glitches out and Unreal 5 crashes. This obviously makes it completely unusable. I have tried everything. Every version, reinstalling, GPU stuff, different monitor, drivers, literally everything I could imagine. Happens on any project. This is so incredibly frustrating because I simply cannot use the engine and do what I want to do. Please help me, it would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

Hey there @LannyConfirmed! Welcome back to the community! Sorry to hear youā€™re having some issues! If possible, may I know your specs, engine version, and get the crash logā€™s stack trace? Does the engine itself launch with no problem?

Could be the same issue as this user but unlikely:

In the mean time, some solid threads to help common graphical issues are here:

Thanks for the help, @SupportiveEntity ! Iā€™m using an RTX 3080, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X and Iā€™m using Unreal Engine version 5.2.0, but this happens on every version. The engine itself launches with no problem. It isnā€™t the same issue as the other user. Iā€™ll try the possible solutions you sent me and Iā€™ll get back to you if any of them work.

I rarely get the ā€œD3D device removedā€ crash but I mostly get this crash:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0xffffffffffffffff

nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
nvwgf2umx
D3D12Core
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
dxgi
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12Viewport::PresentChecked() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:633]
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12Viewport::Present() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:704]
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI!FD3D12CommandContextBase::RHIEndDrawingViewport() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\D3D12RHI\Private\D3D12Viewport.cpp:911]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FRHICommand<FRHICommandEndDrawingViewport,FRHICommandEndDrawingViewportString2071>::ExecuteAndDestruct() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Public\RHICommandList.h:1105]
UnrealEditor_RHI!FRHICommandListBase::Execute() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\RHICommandList.cpp:587]
UnrealEditor_RHI!<lambda_720a96d581de9603c136416f02291598>::operator()() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RHI\Private\RHICommandList.cpp:899]
UnrealEditor_RHI!TGraphTask<TFunctionGraphTaskImpl<void __cdecl(void),0> >::ExecuteTask() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Async\TaskGraphInterfaces.h:1310]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:758]
UnrealEditor_Core!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Async\TaskGraph.cpp:649]
UnrealEditor_RenderCore!FRHIThread::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\RenderingThread.cpp:333]
UnrealEditor_Core!FRunnableThreadWin::Run() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\Windows\WindowsRunnableThread.cpp:149]

Is this what you meant?

Yep this is the stack trace! So that nvwgf2umx is pointing to a specific dll. This is tied to your drivers, that third link I posted is the ā€˜last ditchā€™ solution to this issue and is a clean install without Geforce experence, but usually all that needs to be done is either backdating to a slightly older studio (not GameReady) driver than the most recent and reset the Nvidia control panel settings. Iā€™d try these before going with Graemeā€™s solution if possible.

I am having a similar issue. Have updated my bios, fresh install of gameready and studio 4090 drivers, have also checked windows 11 for errors, uninstalled antivirus and still everytime i open a menu ue5 crashes.

LoginId:
EpicAccountId:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x0000000000000024

ntdll
ntdll
ntdll
dxgi
GTIII_OSD64
GTIII_OSD64
GTIII_OSD64
GTIII_OSD64
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_SlateRHIRenderer
UnrealEditor_SlateCore
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_ApplicationCore
user32
user32
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Hey there @Tim_Flinn! Welcome back to the community! So this issue happens frequently when something is interfering (or trying to help) the GPU handle something. In your case, I seeGTIII_OSD64 less commonly as a third party touching GPU memory. This is likely related to the Asus GPU tweaker, referenced in this thread:

You may just need to disable that and let me know!

I found a solution that worked for me. I dont know if you figured it out since its been a long time but the people thatis having problems and came here can see this. So what I did was simply turning nvidia 3d settings to default. And It didnt accur. But I dont know If you guys use an amd gpu but if younuse nvidia you should try this.