UE5 Blocky Hard Shadow on the Landscape

So im trying to set up an 8x8km landscape in UE5 with lumen and nanite and im having massive issues with the landscape casting very hard and block shadows…

im hopeing someone got an idea how to resolve this as i tried every trick i found on youtube to no avail. …

1 Like

Hey,

I “fixed” this by unchecking “Cast Shadow” in the Landscape Details-panel.

But I know this can’t be the right solution. It helps for now.

3 Likes

Yea well i mean it looks good without shadows but :smiley: i have 600m elevation differences on this 8x8km map so having no shadows would be kinda “strange” wouldnt it?

Btw before someone says its a blocky hightmap: 16 bit raw and i also tried to make 32 bit raw reduce it in PS back to 16 in hope it would get smoother, but it seems its really the shadow casting with lumen

Have you found a fix? Im having this issue :frowning:

A real fix sadly no, what i did so far was go into prject settings and disable the “experimental” shadow thats set there by default and use the traditional, that ofc comes at certain FPS cost as the “broken” shadow seems to be a lot faster but well if its not working cant use it. ANd yea that only works for UE5 as UE4 should always use the “old shadow”.

So yea got it kinda working but needed to change the shadow method for that.

Thanks for your reply. Is that “shadow map method - Virtual shadown maps(beta)” you are reffering to?
I noticed that smoothing the surface of my landscape helps…
Also the setting in the directional lights properties under “cascaded shadow maps” It actually look ok now if you wanna try to get those FPS back…

Like your name BTW :wink:

Yea i mean “shadow map method - Virtual shadown maps(beta)” but i didnt have the engine open to look it up :-D. Yea smoothing helps but then again i dont want to smooth away all the nice details i worked to get from world creation. I sadly feel like the virtual shadow maps are far from production ready so ill stick with the old shadow till i read patchnotes for it :smiley:

I am having the same problem with shadows on landscape in UE 5.3. Your fix with unchecking “Cast Shadow” works :smiley: but I found another solution.
In the landscape Details panel - Lighting/Advanced there is the “Shadow Cache Invalidation Behavior” - I changed it from “Auto” to “Always” and that fixed the problem for me, hope this helps someone in the future :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hola a todos, sorry, i dont speak english, but i want to help ;-).

1. Go to «DirectionalLigth» source light
  2. 40000(maximum) for the «Dynamic Shadow Distance MovableLight»
    its works for me. good luck !

The problem was fixed for me by turning off Ray Traced Shadows. If I understand correctly, RT shadows have a hard time with extra large objects like a landscape… Unsure of a fix if you want to use RT shadows, but in my case I was happy with the default job at the shadows