UE5.1 Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named '......'

Compilation error:
Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named ‘DlssUtility’ in UE5Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. This type must derive from the ‘ModuleRules’ type defined by Unreal Build Tool.

Reproduce:

1. Upgrade from Unreal Engine 4.27 to 5.1.
  2. Install NVIDIA DLSS to the engine plugins folder.

I expect someone will tell me to move the plugin to the project folder and try again. That is not a fix.

Related:

ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'NISCore' in UE5Rules
Error! Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'AutoSettings'
AdvancedSession ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'AdvancedSessions'
ERROR: Expecting to find a type to be declared in a module rules named 'UnrealED' in UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null. - #6 by kartonfalter

5 Likes

Try copying the plugins to the Engine\Plugins\Marketplace folder. It’s a new requirement since 5.x that marketplace plugins need to go here if you’re installing them with the engine.

15 Likes

Thank you! It works. Even though the plugin is not managed by the marketplace. Hope this helps more people, googling the issue does not point to Epic’s documentation on this (if any exists)

1 Like

I have had the same issue with two plugins today that I installed through the launcher, and hence, obviously the plugins are installed under Engine/Plugins/Marketplace. I get the error nevertheless. Any similar experiences? UE5.1.1

I’m getting this error in UE 5.3.2

I’m getting this error also but with the houdini niagara plugin

Lol I came across this issue again today, and I cannot remember how I solved it in July 23 :smiley:

I too had the same problem when I was testing my plugin that I made.

The way to fix it was to move the plugin into the project (ue 5.3.2). It should look roughly like this:

YourProject/
├── Plugins/
│   └── YourPlugin/
│       ├── Binaries/
│       └── ...
├── ...

After moving the plugin, the error disappeared and everything worked correctly.