[UE5.01] Skeletal Mesh Physics freezing/stuttering in place

I have a skeletal mesh with physics asset setup in a simple way. All bones kinematic, collisions off - bar one bone (rShin) with mode simulated.

I have disabled my control rig entirely in the animation blueprint.

I have two blueprints - 3rd person player controlled and a simple ai (it randomly moves to location). Both using the same skeletal mesh and animation blueprint.

On each I have set capsule collision to custom with physics overlap, and the mesh to simulate physics=true and collision=ragdoll.

On this last step, if I do this just for my 3rd person blueprint - it works! I can run around my game with a floppy shin. It might lag a little when first loading but generally all is ok.

If I do it on my ai AND my 3rd person blueprints - we both break and the bone stays in initial position regardless of movement (e.g. the whole lower leg stays at spawn location). On occasion (1 in 5 run attempts maybe) my 3rd person works and the bone moves+simulates fine.

If I turn off the blueprint settings on my 3rd person and there is only a single instance of the ai in the level it will still fail with about the same rate. If I put 2 or more instances of my ai in the level I start getting the weird ‘Arrow’ error reported here. On occasion some of the AIs get a physics update and the lower leg does return to correct position w.r.t their movement, but it can become glitched again quite easily.

Any tips for how to go about debugging what is going on here?

1 Like