UE4 Sequencer audio skips / studders and portions of it loop randomly (DESPERATE - WILL PAY FOR HELP)

When using the sequencer, any audio clip I drag in and play in editor, or in game skips and stutters. At the end of playing it appears to loop just a portion of it repetitively.

If I have a clip that says “Boo! What’s with the lights? I thought you were afraid of the dark”

It will repeat as: “Boo! What’s with the lights? I thought you were afraid of the dark, afraid of the dark, the dark, dark, dark”

And then the next clip “Only when I know you’re lurking somewhere in it” repeats as “Only when I know you’re lurking somewhere in it, somewhere in it, in it”

Even other sound effects that I put in sequencer repeat like this. It causes the sequence to not end on time, it throws lip sync off and animations to be timed improperly during gameplay due to the audio repeating.

The waveform of the audio appears to show these issues in the editor most of the time, leading me to believe the Sequencer, when loading the audio track is LOADING IT with these issues.

Playing the audio clip in the content browser has none of these issues. Playing the clip externally has no issues. Playing the clip as Sound2D has no issues. Setting the audio clip as a sound cue and putting it in the sequence editor still has the same issue.

I have reduced the file quality. I have set to load on prime, load inline, etc. – the issue still persists, although it slightly changes where the skipping occurs. I have replaced the config files with fresh project configs, rebuilt everything, same issue. I have deleted and reinstalled my audio drivers, no change. I have downgraded DirectX versions, no change. Upgraded the project from 4.26 to 4.27, no change. I’ve scoured the internet, asked reddit, asked ChatGPT, nothing works.

ONE SOLUTION IS – If I move the same audio files to a NEW PROJECT, I don’t have this issue. I have no explanation for this. I’ve deleted all the audio files and reimported them, assuming it was an import issue – no fix. I started migrating my game to a new project, but I can’t be sure if it’ll work and it honestly might be impossible to do. I have about 450 maps, hundreds of blueprints, thousands of audio files, 650gb of assets. It’s going to cost me months to migrate with no guarantee. I cant upgrade to UE5 because I have far too many lights in game; upgrading to UE5 causes it to go from 120+fps to 4fps.

I am so desperate. We missed our launch window already and have been suffering for months on this. Release was supposed to be in February but now there is just absolutely no way to make that happen. Our studio is at a stand-still and had to lay everyone off until it’s resolved. I will pay for help if it gets this resolved.

It’s been months and I can’t find a solution.

Occurs in UE 4.27 and 4.26.

Is the audio play rate 1, in the sequencer?

Have you tried different compression types? ( project settings )

You can also try different loading behaviours ( wav details )

Apparently, this can also happen if you use time dilation in the sequencer.

Audio play rate is 1. Occurs even on new sequencer instances with untouched settings.

I don’t remember seeing an audio compression type, i’ll try that now!

As far as loading behaviors, i’ve done that globally and per WAV, as described in the post.

Yeah definitely try to set the compression type to Bink.

I’m not using time dilation anywhere.

Disappointingly, there is no compression option under Audio in 4.27.2 :frowning:

This is my Project Settings → Windows → Audio section, lots of 0’s and some missing values but no default reset buttons next to the fields.

Can you see if the audio asset has seekable enabled?

That option is disabled, I can’t click it at all – but no, it is not seekable.

I believe there’s another toggle that will enable the seekable toggle. I think it’s streaming or streamable. (Sorry I don’t have 4.27 at the moment to check and these toggles are defunct in UE5)

You’re right. I found the toggle, enabled it, then was able to enable this toggle. It reduced sound quality noticeably (sounds like a telephone from the 90’s now).

After a little more investigating, I found out Unreal is NOT creating appended WAV data as I originally thought. Here I have lined up the waveform in Unreal with the waveform in Audacity and they line up perfect:

In no case does the sound audibly play faster or slower than how the actual clip sounds naturally. It’s simply completing in 75% of the time it should.

So, this is entirely a playback issue in Unreal. It is finishing the clip too fast and then replaying the ending of the clip, i’m assuming because those are the final buffered chunks left in memory. So, playback seems to be 1.5x, as 1/3rd is left in memory and replayed and then it seems 1/3 of that remaining memory is replayed.

So, there is at least a pattern and it seems mathematical / methodical in nature.

I don’t see anywhere where playback is 1.5x, everything says 1.0x unless there is something somewhere else I am not seeing. Even if playback was 1.5x, it’s finishing the sound far 75% too early, repeating the rest, finishing that 75% too early, then repeating the rest. Super strange.

Setting playback to .5 makes normal sounding playback (audio is not slowed) but it skips every 1.5 seconds or so and repeats constantly. Setting playback to 2 makes it almost play normal length in terms of waveform length, audio sounds unaffected speed wise but it skips forward a lot. Definitely something playback speed related, but options look okay.

I fixed this, but i’m leaving it up just in case any future man (or woman) runs into this crippling issue.

The problem is caused by limited/locked frame rates. The Sequencer apparently has issues with limited frame rates/time code modifications.

Go into Project Settings and in the search bar type ‘rate’

If you see anything locked or limited to 24fps or 30fps or anything, lift those restrictions.

Under timecode, set the default timecode to 30fps and frame delay 0.

In level sequence, remove ‘default lock engine to display rate’ and then set the display rate to 60fps

This will allow the sequencer to now run at normal speed and your clips will not stutter, skip or loop.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.