UE4 on Linux Must Be Improved

Your interpretation of everything in this thread is some sort of hatred towards windows.
“I didnt mind using WinXp. At least I had control over the processes.” WinXp as in the old operating sytem for windows. Not as in controlling Autocad processes. If I was running Autocad. I wouldn’t need to “End the Task.”
This is a development forum for Unreal engine. See title of post. “UE4 on Linux must be improved.” Maybe OP should’ve replaced must with “Needs to be.”
There is an Unreal Engine Linux build. For development of games. Not for playing them. https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Support
This is the primary architecture we are supporting. Linux x86-64
I have no idea where you got this from, or what your assuming? Very creative conversation though. It gave me a good chuckle. Thanks.
If you want to make the next Photoshop or FL studio, I’d advise you to pick up c++ or something instead; rather than using UE to make it lol…
or this? There hasn’t been even ONE time that I’ve thought “Boy I really need some serious process control to run these fluid sims… This svchost is really bustin my chops at 0.01% of my cpu and 2.3mb of my 16gb of ram…”

Now that you guys have been having fun, can we please go back to the topic of Linux support for UE4 ? Nobody cares what you think about Linux. Some of us are shipping Linux builds and we want those to work well and that’s it.

1 Like

We Linux users only want to have a stable and reliable binary build in an universal format that can run on almost every distro - only one sentence.

1 Like

you’ll need to band all of those distro devs together and get them to all create a universal platform… Oh wait, that’s not going to happen… Until , Epic isn’t going to make per case exceptions/adjustments for the 3,000,000,000,000 different versions of Linux; in order for the binaries to run on all of them. If you’d like for that to happen, there is nothing stopping you from opening up your IDE and writing the code yourself.

I don’t understand your hatred. The situation you have just described happened. We have a file formats that run on almost every distro, so I don’t have to do anything. The work to do is on Epic side.

1 Like

Except you don’t need to do any of that because Flatpack does it for you.

So STOP now, go back to your hole and leave us alone.

1 Like

So now you guys are contradicting yourselves with “We Linux users only want to have a stable and reliable binary build in an universal format that can run on almost every distro - only one sentence.” Just because the file formats are cross platform doesn’t mean that the drivers and kernals will all handle them exactly the same. You can see this happen even in windows if you’ve got dated drivers. Sometimes there are bugs that are Windows 8.1 specific or 10 or whatever; that don’t happen on the other versions of Windows. But the executables opened on all of them so that means they are 100% compatible right!?

I have no hatred for Linux at all, I’m just saying that it’s impractical to make demands for a PC platform that doesn’t even make up one percent of the market.

But no one is asking for Epic to fix Linux’s driver issues. I know my game works with proprietary nVidia driver, not the Mesa one, that’s okay, I’m not asking Epic to fix that. What we’re asking is that they fix what they can fix, like regressions in the engine, or its release process.

1 Like

Popping in to remind people to act in a professional manor and keep things civil.

If you have some constructive to add, that is fine.
If not, please refrain from posting.

Thank you.

Jesus, there’s no problem with Linux itself now and you wish to find a problem in this OS at any cost. Many distros and file formats AREN’T a trouble for software makers anymore. The problem is to pack the Linux sources up into flatpak to run on many distros. And of course fix some issues in the code, first. In short, fix some issues in the Linux code and pack it up into an universal binary format. What do you think: why Linux isn’t so popular? I will tell you: because of those all obstacles. Installing a Linux source of UE4 is a true pain for users, so many people give up and use Mac or Windows version. No fixes and no binary format - it is not a thing that can attract users. The binary build MUST cooperate with proprietary drivers as it was done in Unity. If Open Source drivers work, ok, but the most important are proprietary drivers. Hope it is clear.

There are usually dozens and dozens of drivers in an OS. Even something like bad chipset drivers can throw something completely out of whack. I was just giving an example.

If that were true, it would make up for more than 0.8% of PC gaming and that 0.8% includes the million and one clones of Farmville like games. Linux has had decades to “catch up” to Windows. Every time I see threads like these(not just here, but all over the web), they just sound like a bad cases of choice-supportive bias and sunk cost fallacy. Of course Epic would never say it, but I’m pretty sure that deep down inside, they agree that Linux PC gaming is dead and not worth the effort.

Again, you’re very unlikely to see any real heavy Linux support/optimization by Epic. But anyways, I’ll leave you guys to your echo-chamber.

Thank you !

I think the general perception is Linux support is considerably complex (drivers, distros) yet the games produced are very small, comparatively speaking. And the linux users tend to be vocal (they are opinionated etc). I may be wrong, as I said this is a perception, and I have no delved deep enough to test it. However, there are commercial game engines that try to support linux which end up disaster (too much effort, but too little money).

Your correct, but Most drivers are updated immediately now. Gone are the days of Linux users buying a single model of printer, or scanner etc. because of un supported drivers. We are still used to waiting patiently for stable releases, or the ability to install certain programs. We don’t have a launcher, and I don’t expect one to pop up. The Linux foundation has been making strides to consolidate everything for the kernel. So that there is a single standard. Not just tar, sh, rpm .deb we now have flatpak. Gwenn is right.
A lot of people rush into judgment that Linux users are here to play games. This is about the development of games using an operating system.
If we wanted to play games on linux we could install steam, or run the linux operating system designed to play them. https://www.linux.org/threads/ubuntu-gamepack.4559/
#1 “As far as I’m concerned Unreal Engine is the best engine.” Epic supported a Linux build which is awesome.
#2 Linux is a proven workstation. It is free, functional, and as efficient as anything out there.
#3 Outside of North America, and Europe. People globally. Have been raised using Linux.
So as Linux users we continue throwing logs on the fire to keep support burning. This thread has had 5k views. Things continue to get easier by the day.

1 Like

Last @Tomza post is worth of many upvotes here. It nicely explains that Linux development still can be very difficult if there’s no proper support from the “app” author - like many years ago. But it’s getting lot easier with few useful things like flatpak support.
So thanks, guys! For pointing to few facts here!
It’s nice to see that Linux Foundation was able to unify ecosystem, it’s crazy difficult task;)

And about “system wars”. It’s bad thing we got triggered by few cocky posts like “Windows is a ****”, “Blender is great for everything”. Sorry! Live long and prosper on Linux :slight_smile:

PS Still no AH request? In my experience it was easier to get push requests through AH than forum. Just sayin’ :slight_smile:

People who think that Linux is complex are totally wrong. There are distros I will never touch because of complexity (I’m not a Linux geek, just a developer), but at the same time we have distros that are out of the box. No, it is not Ubuntu. Ubuntu (or Mint) are popular, but no industry support behind them. Red Hat? Well, too much corporation in their product. OpenSUSE is ideal. I don’t want to start “distro wars”, but I have really tried a few distros up to now and… oS is the best. I don’t like customizing my OS too much - I don’t have a free time to play with it. I don’t care. I need to have an OS out of the box. The problem with oS was MP3 and other codecs. Now, the patents have expired and all included. oS co-develop KDE that is the most developed DE in the Linux world. Kde integration is the best. You won’t find any distro that has KDE integrated better. The stable/reliable KDE plus Yast - do you want something more? No consoles. I like the console, but really you can do ALL with GUI. So please don’t repeat silly myths that there’s something complex in Linux. If you have problems with Linux, just install OpenSUSE and shut up. Using oS is a pleasure. The problem was with native formats. I had troubles with running Fedora rpm on oS. But now Linux developers are mature enough to run apps in an universal format. So the nightmare doesn’t exist anymore.

So now install OpenSUSE on your computers and enjoy an good OS. You have Tumbleweed for gamer rig and Leap for workstations. The only problem I see now ONLY one serious issue: nvidia proprietary drivers on Tumbleweed is a pain, AMD or Intel only. But it is not Linux fault. And of course, we need a third party’s software like UE4. That’s all what can be problematic on Linux.

And please don’t duplicate myths.

Hello,

It has been a while since anyone from Epic has posted in here, so I just wanted to make sure to let know we’re still watching and taking in the feedback you’ve provided.

Also, we are interested in any passionate Linux developers who also have a lot of experience working with engines as well. Please apply at https://epicgames.avature.net/careers/ even if you don’t see a position that fits you, as you may still get picked for a new project.

Thank you!

I don’t like to customize my desktop either. I will most definitely try Opensuse this weekend. I havent touched it in about 5 years. I have some HDD’s laying around with old distro’s on them. I’ve had a lot of distro’s over the last 15 years. I’m really not a fedora person. I ran Centos for about 6 months, and it was a struggle for some things. It really didnt like my ethernet card, and the wifi wallet system was buggy on this laptop. A lot of distro’s just die off. Even if they were good. I went back to the debian route about 6 months ago. Because Chrome has a .deb package, and unity launcher allowed me to install chrome apps to desktop. All that changed with google. So now the chrome apps only work in the browser. I got Unreal editor 4.16.1 running cleanly yesterday. I had system updates, deleted previous install, and restarted everything. It’s running great.

He wasn’t saying Linux is complex. He was saying supporting Linux is complex. He wasn’t perpetuating “myths”.

Gwenn made the suggestion of getting the Unreal Package as a flatpak if possible. Which is the best solution going forward with Linux as it supports all brands, and Distributions.
It would be good to update the build page. I just currently built 4.16.1 on Debian with clang 3.9.1 and had to install updated kernel to 4.10.