UE4 on Linux Must Be Improved

Please try OpenSUSE. The developers REALLY care about creating a good OS. Some people install Ubuntu or Mint. And very good, but if something doesn’t work, they give those distros up saying that Linux doesn’t work. No, go to OpenSUSE directly and install. If any issues, please go to the forum or reddit. The community is very helpful and nice, especially moderators. Even the chairman Brown is very active on the reddit.

There was a very hot discussion on the OpenSUSE reddit started by my two years ago. I criticized the oS project for the commercial codecs, etc. I showed oS drawbacks clearly because I have installed this OS on some computer for total noobs. Some people from the oS community stopped liking me ;), but in general that what I said was accepted. Now, we have almost ready Linux desktop. Hope the software in Debian/Ubuntu repositories that aren’t in the oS repositories (if any) will be in an universal format soon and all oS users will use them on their computers.

About five years? It’s a long time for Linux. I used oS 11 or something in the past. It was not usable. I wouldn’t recommend it for noobs. Only the console worked. KDE was a total ****. But now all is changed. I install this OS for beginners and they are happy.

But remember if want to install oS and you have nvidia, don’t pick Tumbleweed. Geeks can deal with that, but not regular users. I love Tumbleweed because for game development is the first choice (fresh like Arch and at the same nearly no problems for regular users) but… I HAVE NVIDIA!!! I hate nvidia for that. oS Leap is very safe for noobs. Even nvidia runs out of the box. Leap 42.3 is going to be released at the end of July. Alas, it will have probably kernel 4.4 LTS because stability and reliability is the most important for Leap. If you have an older computer (at least on year old I think) no problem. But there will be probably a possibility to install 4.9 LTS from oS repositories for users with a newer HW.

But still many people think Linux is complex. Not now. There are a few distros that work out of the box. For me, OpenSUSE works. On a few computers.
Regarding the supporting Linux, no it isn’t complex either. Again, not now. Tell me what is complex in supporting Linux by third party software makers nowadays. some issues in the code fixed and UE4 should be packed up in flatpak. That’s all what Epic MUST do for supporting Linux.

People, ONE FORMAT, not 10, not 100 like before, just one format. Users of Ubuntu, Mint, oS, Fedora download UE4 in flatpak and install on their computers. Imagine UE4 is running like hell on their machines and all are happy. KDE Plasma 10 has a full integration of flatpak and snap, but Gnome as far as I know has supported it since a longer time. It is still fresh technology but it is a future technology specially prepared for third party software like UE4. We have Skype and Spotify in flatpak.

Some things taken from the Flatpak website:

Access a wide variety of applications

The list of Flatpak applications is growing all the time and includes Spotify, Skype and Telegram.
Get new versions faster

New releases of applications appear sooner with Flatpak.
Safely update your apps without having to reboot

Unlike package managers, Flatpak can safely update applications on the fly.
Install different versions of the same application

Simultaneously install multiple versions of the same application.
Secure, sandboxed applications

Flatpak’s sandboxing technology prevents exploits and hinders malicious applications.

Where is the complexity?

It’s also a good promotion for UE4. UE4 among other flatpak apps. Linux users will install UE4 even to see what is it. And some of them maybe start to new adventure with game developing.

Dear Epic,

UE4 in flatpak, please.

Thank you!

@Tomza last post can be upvoted if you would please. I think we got the attention we needed, and we can move on. It was a fun conversation instigating over 100 posts, and 5k views in such a short time frame.
Thanks all.

See, this is where the line starts to blur in my opinion.

Whereas they could just install Windows and have everything work out of the box without having to worry about what “tumbleweed” and “leap” are.

I love Linux. I have done for decades. But you can’t say it’s newb friendly and ready for the average home user and start talking about kernel versions and certain hardware manufacturers that you hate because their h/w causes issues. The average home user doesn’t even know what a kernel is – they don’t care either.

This is a support thread for Linux improvements of Unreal Engine 4, xuri. Nobody cares what you think of Linux.

That’s pretty rude.

I’m actually having a friendly discussion with Tomza on a discussion forum.

Please have it elsewhere. This is UE4 feedback from people shipping games on Linux, not a gaming discussion on which OS you prefer.

Again, wrong assumptions. Yes, users don’t want to worry about what “tumbleweed” and “leap” are. And they don’t want to worry about what “Windows XP”, “Windows 7” and “Windows 10” are? Sorry, but your words sounded in this way. First question: what users? They worry about that. We talk about developers, not older ladies at their homes. Developers have some knowledge about using computers and OSes. I think so :wink: Do you think that people making games in UE4 have no idea of hardware and software? Come on, game developing is a very difficult work with vast knowledge about platforms, programming, etc.

Another thing, why do we have Tumbleweed and Leap? Is it something bad for you? Leap is for those older ladies and Tumbleweed is for developers, including game developers. Do you need a stable environment or developing one? Both environments are RELIABLE in oS - it is worth to remember that and it can be used by total noobs. All out of the box.

Buuuuut the problem is that nvidia don’t care. If nvidia care, you just install Tumbleweed because you are a developer. No problems on Linux side. Really, guys. A solution is one: AMD. I don’t say about Intel because I assume that you like an AAA level since you use UE4. If you have AMD, install Tumbleweed, don’t think twice. If you have nvidia, sorry. Complaints to nvidia, please. You need to use Leap. You ARE FORCED to use Leap if you are not a Linux geek.

It can be done. Don’t make problems that don’t exists. Problems are in our heads only. For sure, not in Linux itself. Gods, stop talking that supporting Linux by third party companies is complex. It WAS complex. Yes, it was. So many formats made me and many people crazy. Fortunately, it is a past only. All what we need a good UE4 flatpak. And please don’t worry about Linux users. We will install it and use it. And all the Linux community will see what UE4 is.

Nice that you added “please” this time.

Why haven’t you said this to Tomza?

I was responding to him. He asked me a direct question. Or do you just tell people who disagree with you to shut up?

I also don’t think it’s down to you to define what a thread is and isn’t. It’s not like the original subject of increased Linux support is being drowned out. Discussions, and threads, evolve. That’s what they do. If anything you popping up once a day to tell other people to sod off is what keeps derailing this thread.

I agree that developing under Linux is good. I was actually ready to counter this by saying that I agree with Gween when he described Linux as a workhorse. That was before he started being a muppet.

I was actually referring to your earlier comments about how Linux is “desktop ready” and not about it’s usage as a development OS. Anyway, I’d love to actually go through your post and counter as I’m enjoying the conversation but Gween has his faux-mod hat on I can’t be bothered with it anymore.

Dear Gwenn,

I don’t want force anybody to use this OS or another. I just wanted to explain all the stuff on any example. I know oS very well, so I can only use it as an example. No, use Mint, use Ubuntu, use any distro you like. The problem is other: we should say people clearly that most things changed in the Linux world. Linux can be a very good platform for game developing, maybe not for playing, but just for developing.

People have been derailing this thread with Linux trolling for two days now, going as far as saying that we shouldn’t support Linux gamers, that we’re making a mistake doing so, that Epic shouldn’t support our Linux clients, etc. Would you want people on your bug reports telling Epic not to fix them ?

When it’s not that, it’s people arguing about how Linux is too difficult to support based on how difficult it was ten years ago, or how their grandma doesn’t use Linux. Imagine if PS4 gamers were flooding Epic with requests not to support PC support of UE4 ?

So please just stop, don’t post here, keep your opinion for yourself, and let us work.

Will do, sir. So sorry. Really sorry. Please don’t flog or flay me, sir.

Aren’t you aware that cultural thing to do in such situation is to ask moderator to split topics? It happens all the time. It allows all the people to discuss what they want to. Do it if don’t want to read our discussion here. Problem solved.
Telling people to shut the **** up so many times is simply rude.

Nobody asked Epic not to fix any of Linux issue. Nobody. Stop being emotional, please. Peace!

Reading cultural conversation with Tomza and thadkinsjr refreshed my rusty knowledge of Linux. They nicely explained that supporting Linux development is not that difficult anymore any why things like Flatpak are important.

Actually, one poster in this thread wrote about how Linux support from Epic would “impedes on [his] development”, and kept spamming this thread with Linux hate because of that. That was yesterday, page two. So after two full pages of that vein in 24 hours, you might understand why I am being rude with people keeping to the side discussion of whether Linux is a platform you like or not and why.

Please, just let us have that one thread to talk about Linux without being drowned in the usual trolls.

Guys, guys, please don’t fight. The discussion is too hot. No blood :).

I did my best to explain some of you that using Linux for game developing isn’t a bad idea. Really, guys, if you have any doubts, feel free to write.

And yes, I repeat again oS is ready or almost ready as a desktop. If you don’t agree, please write WHY. For Leap, we must wait a little to get KDE Plasma 10 with flatpak technology (or you can upgrade it on your own) as a default, but Tumbleweed supports it NOW. So people with AMD/Intel and Tumbleweed installed only want to get UE4 in flatpak.

Thanks. This thread has been amusing for me. It’s a great time to come back to Linux. You can instantly be upgraded from a normal sudo -s root user to a su- superuser. Development is better than ever. A lot more premium software is accessible. Chrome, and chrome apps can be used. Substance painter, manuel bastioni labs, 3dCoats, Blender, meshlab, Makehuman, Gimp, Inkscape, and Krita. It’s un interrupted computing fun. from now on. You can still use windows, or mac. You can dual boot your hard disk drive, and you can read, and copy whatever you like from windows. Your project will convert right over to the editor in Linux. First time builds take a little while to compile shaders. You can have your projects backed up, and your entire asset library secured. No need to wait for drivers The only problem I have with Linux now is.
I’ve spent days looking for my antimalware, and antivirus software, or trying to figure out how to shut off all the scanning stuff. Some of the tasks running in my task manager like to prairiedog around, and I can’t catch them to end their tasks. I think I need a bigger mallet for this type of whack a mole game. The real struggle is with my page filing system. jk.
You have to forgive some Linux users for being defensive. The photo below describes the last 20 years of forums where Linux is mentioned.Linux1.PNG

Buahahaha! Yes, it is true. I mean the photo.

Regarding Linux, I really recommend you oS. You will find a reliable developing environment. I don’t know you have nvidia or not. Your computer is old or new? All doubts, issues, questions, please go to

https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/

You will find nice experts there. I’m just a user like you, not big knowledge about Linux developing. Happy user I must say. My happiness will be full if UE4 is flatpak. Just small present with love from Epic to Linux community.

I’m passing the idea along and seeing what we can do for it. Thanks for the suggestion :smiley: