UE4 Build lighting crash Swarm at 100%

Okay, sorry for delayed reply. Anyway, I ran the tool and it navigated through the screens and it came to “do you want to repair Framework 4.5.” I said yes, it did a bunch of stuff, but it came saying that it didn’t work. Thanks for your time and patience, this is a really annoying bug because I really can’t use this awesome engine at all.

Any ideas? Should I reinstall framework 4.5?

Yes. And lets try a new way of getting the engine as well. Go to this wiki page (A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Unreal Engine Forums) and follow the instructions on getting the source version of the engine. This can be saved at any location and will not effect you launcher version at all. Let’s see if the source build will allow you to finish building lights:

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

EDIT: Sorry about the “**,” I have corrected

Hi Eric, I tried reinstalling but no luck. The link you sent leads to a page with “there is no text on this page”. A Google search for Unreal Engine 4 Source Install yielded no results.

EDIT: Deleted the 2 stars at the end of link, trying instructions now.

Sorry for taking so long, but Visual Studio was being a jerk. Anyway, I finally got it installed and still no luck :(. I really don’t know where to go from here. I tried putting my computer on a different network, but no luck. Unfortunately I don’t have any other computers capable of running UE4. Do you think that a reinstall of Windows would fix the problem?

Thanks, Aventador

Hey Aventador -

I also am running out of ideas on this one. One last effort, do you have access to a CPU that does build lighting correctly? If so, try what VladV mentions in this post, https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/68053/lighting-build-failed-swarm-failed-to-kick-off.html

Let me know -

Eric Ketchum

Okay Eric,
So I built on another computer and it worked, so I put the swarm cache folder on a flash drive to transfer to my computer. However, in my 4.4 folder, there is no Swarm folder in Saved. I have built the lighting and stuff (and it failed) so there should be a folder there, right?
Thanks, Aventador

There might not be if the light build failed the engine may never have saved the information. But just to confirm the location did your check in:

C:\Users[UserName]\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\4.4\Saved\Swarm\

This would not be in the saved directory with your project.

If it is not there then create the directory and place your Cache Folder in it.

Let me know -

Eric Ketchum

Yep, that was the directory I was looking in and there was no Swarm folder. I did what you said and made one manually, but still no luck. Do you think that my only option is to reinstall windows, and will that even work?

Thanks, -Aventador

Hey Aventador -

I cannot say 100% either way on re installing windows as we have yet to find the root cause. I was going back through and trying to find something we may have missed in our investigations. You said you had problem building light in UDK, is that still the case? Can you open UDK and just from the default map, try to build lighting and explain what happens to me, if that is still an option?

Also I don’t see anywhere in this post where we got the crash logs looked at. Can you post those as we for me, you can find the .LOG and .DMP files from your [project]SavedLogs folder.

Thanks Aevntador -

Eric Ketchum

Hi Eric,
So interesting story…,
I was minding my own business one day playing some video games on my computer when the game stopped working. After an exhaustive search of Google, the only conclusion I could come to was (wait for it) re-installing windows. So I ended up doing so, because I play on a team in this game and not having it working for an undetermined date really wasn’t an option. So after getting it installed, I downloaded UE4 and gave it a try. Sure enough, it worked! I’m happy to report that re-installing windows fixed my problem. I can build lighting now. However, this also means that I can’t continue debugging as to why the problem happened in the first place. So if anyone else is having this problem, sorry I can’t help you there. But I did notice one thing, that it looks like many of the Windows Framework drivers were installed with my motherboard drivers. So to anyone who is having this problem, I would recommend doing a complete re-install of your drivers. Sorry I am unable to troubleshoot this further, but I am glad I can finally use UE4’s awesome features!

Thanks Eric so much for your help!
-Aventador

P.S. Seeing as I was unable to use UE4 for the duration of this issue, would it be possible for some financial credit to be put on my account as compensation? I don’t know your policy for this and I understand that your rate is very reasonable as it is. Thanks!

Hey Aventador -

I appreciate your patience and I am really glad you resolved your problem. As far as a credit, you would need to email our account support, you can find the email on the Contact Us page at unrealengine.com

Thank You

Eric Ketchum