UE4 Bloom & Auto Exposure Settings Not Consistent with Tutorials

Hi everyone,

My company is diving into Unreal 4 so we can work on real-time architectural visualization projects. I’m coming from Unity and I love the program, but some inconsistencies are bugging me when I’m trying to follow any tutorial on the matter.

By default, the projects I start do not seem to be displaying Bloom and Auto Exposure the same as tutorials do. I’ve tried adjusting the post processing parameters using volumes, but the exposure will never adjust if I go into a dark room and then back out into a bright area. Bloom also only seems to adjust certain lights and not any objects which should have emissive properties.

Am I doing something wrong? Help would be greatly appreciated as we want to create a lighting setup that realistically updates similarly to the human eye. Thanks!

Hi PsyberTyger,

If you’re seeing no difference with your Post Processing adjustments there are a couple of things to check.

• Make sure that in your Post Process you’ve either moved the camera within the bounds of the volume or that you’ve set it to be “Unbound” so that it doesn’t have to encapsulate everything to work.
  • Next check your engine scalability settings to verify that they are set to Epic. If this is not the case, post processing will be disabled when using lower settings. You can check the engine scalability settings by going to the settings option in the toolbar > Engine Scalability > Set to “Epic.”

As for the tutorials, there will be some things that become outdated since the engine is constantly being developed. Our documentation team does their best to keep these as up to date as possible.

Thank you!

Tim

Thanks for the quick reply Tim! I found those settings and while I can now see lens flares, auto exposure still seems to be inactive. However, I’m starting to become suspicious of the GPU since it’s a workstation card.

Do NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800 cards have issues rendering post effects in Unreal 4? That could be the reason why things aren’t displaying the way they should. I do have DX11 installed on this computer.

From what I’ve seen others posting the Quadro cards work well for video production and software like 3Ds Max and Maya but are lacking in game engines compared to the GTX series of cards.

I’ll check with our compatibility team and see if they have tested any Quadro cards in the past for performance.

That would be very helpful Tim.

I just tested my theory out to see if it was the workstation card and I’m inclined to believe it’s true. I tried running Unreal on my laptop that is running a NVIDIA GTX 860M and it instantly displayed post processing effects.

It’s disappointing that I can’t display all of the post effects that I want, but I can work with it and create the final build on a PC with a better GPU in the future. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

After speaking with our Compatibility team it seems that the Quadro FX 3800 and 4800 are using the 200 series GPU’s and do not support DirectX 11. There are some known issues with what can be and what cannot be rendered on these cards, however this is not really documented anywhere.

In light of this, we are putting in a request with our Docs team to see if we can get some type of information to post regarding what can be run on DirectX 10 vs DirectX 11.

I’m glad that this has been confirmed! Thank you so much Tim for passing this question to your Compatibility team. In light of this information, I’ll just be sure to use a different machine that can properly render all of the post effects on the screen when I’m looking at any final builds. Have a good weekend!

Hey PsyberTyger,

Would you mind telling me which driver version you’re using? Our compat team are running some test now, but have found for the Quadro cards there are multiple drivers for different things.

Currently the list of drivers available are:

28495-nvidiaquadrodriveroptions.png

Thank you for your help!

I’m not sure how to display that driver dropdown from my computer, but this is the current driver I’m using:

28498-currentdriverdetails.jpg