UE4.27 No Static light when baking

Hey everyone, I know UE5 just released but I have a project i’m finishing on 4.27. It seems to be a common issue online and i’ve yet to find a solution, I was wondering if it’s a bug or something on my end.
Basically when I bake my static light the lights dissapears unless I move them, even a small amount or change anything in the settings. (so I have to rebake them…)

1/ My lightmap density is correct
2/ My lightmap UV is correct and not too small.
3/ I have static lighting allowed in project settings.
4/ I would like to use static lighting and not stationary
5/It’s the same wether it’s point light, spot light, rec light…
6/I have no light error when baking, no overlapping uv…
7/ I would like to use static light, and not stationary movable ( sorry to mention again, most help I saw online was ‘just put them on stationary!’)
8/ My meshes are set to static
9/ I have lightmaps from world settings set to 1024x1024. I’m looking for performance aswell, hence why I’d like static lighting.

Is it a bug ? I seriously don’t see what’s causing the problem that could come from me. It’s been driving me insane

thanks

I just tried this in the first person example level, and it works fine.

Have you tried it in a new project?

It’s a project from the marketplace, I will try to duplicate it on a new projects and see if it works

1 Like

I’ve duplicated the project on a new projects and the problem is still there. Stationary works fine though :confused:

So, it’s a standalone project? I’m assuming they’ve tweaked something in there. No idea what though.

You could always make a fresh project, and just migrate the folder across.

Yes maybe, i’m gonna open up old projects of mine and check if settings have been changed between the two. Thanks for the help by the way!

1 Like

Yep i’ve checked some projects I had (they used stationary light but well…) and settings were pretty much the same. Looks like I don’t have a choice to switch to stationary. Is there a big cost difference between the two?

Stationary is basically the same cost as static, but at least you can change the light color :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stationary lights render static lighting, but will cast real time shadows on movable objects. They’re best thought of as the halfway point between static and moveable. They cost significantly more than static lights, so you’re best off using them sparingly. Just try to get the most out of each light, and you shouldn’t have too many problems.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. I also prefere stationary but it’s actually an assignement that requires me to use mainly static lighting… i’ll try to explain my situation to them. I’m also gonna try to use another computer I have and open my scene and see if the problem is still there, if yes it must be a bug from unreal because I don’t see what’s the problem …

1 Like

Really dumb thing to check, but make sure your mesh faces aren’t inverted. Like, it sounds like you checked all the obvious stuff, but just in case, check that.

1 Like

Since it’s a downloaded scene from the market place I can’t really import it into another software, not sure if there is a way inside unreal. Also since it’s from the marketplace I doubt that would be the cause of the problem. I tried on another computer but same results. welp :confused: