UE 5 wont save my level: error message

Hey i am trying to save my file and UE is giving me this error message: Failed to save to C:/Users/Peter Randall/Documents/Unreal Projects/Demo_Reel_Renders/Content/Developement/Level/Untitled.umap

The following assets have been modified and cannot be unloaded:
/Game/Developement/Level/Untitled
Saving these assets will allow them to be unloaded.

I have read in other forums where people had to close another instance of UE, but i dont have another instance open, does anyone know whats causing this?

Hey there @Yaboiidaequan! This error often comes from unreal being unable to save the map due to permissions, a map error, or another instance holding the map hostage. Are you able to use the “Save As” feature? It functions a bit differently and can help us diagnose which issue it is.

I was able to save the level as a different map and then i had to force close unreal because it wouldnt let me close the program because of the current level. But then when I opened the level which i saved under a different name, the meshes were put in different locations and now some materials entirely will not work.

Meshes in different locations and materials displaced after using save as? Was this level using world partition or One File Per Actor? It sounds like OFPA may not have retained external actor information when the level saved over. Would you happen to have a backup from before the map wouldn’t save?

i dont have a back up, i ended up just created a whole new project

Understandable, sorry to hear that! Unsure what corrupted the world save, but it can come from a couple of rare occasions such as plugins being removed/changed, migrations, or even just corrupted External Actors files. I would recommend if possible to use some form of version control such as Git or Perforce or backups during development just in case things like this occur!

If you’d like to make a full report, here’s the link!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.