Summary
I’m using a source build of UE 5.8, and when I loaded my project’s sln today in VS, it now says that it’s incompatible with the current version of Visual Studio, even though it’s on the latest version of VS (Version 17.14.41 (September 2026)), and it was working fine yesterday
If I try to build the solution in this state, it outputs this error for everything it tries to build:
error NETSDK1209: The current Visual Studio version does not support targeting .NET 10.0. Either target .NET 9.0 or lower, or use Visual Studio version 18.0 or higher
I tried removing the binaries, intermediate, and .sln files and regenerating them, but it didn’t help. I have also updated my source build of UE 5.8
I can see everything for and build the .sln file for the source version of UE 5.8 by itself with no issues.
What Type of Bug are you experiencing?
Foundation (C++ Tools, Profiling, & Pipeline)
Steps to Reproduce
I’m not sure if it can be replicated, but
- have VS Community 2022 Version 17.14.41 (September 2026) installed
- have source build of UE 5.8 installed and built
- have existing game that was built in above versions of VS with UE 5.8
- open the game’s .sln file in VS
Expected Result
.sln file opens in VS, and the source files can be worked on in VS
Observed Result
.sln file opens but files are unable to be worked on, nor is .sln able to be built, Solution Explorer shows that “This project is incompatible with the current edition of Visual Studio” even though I was working on the same project in the same version of Visual Studio the day before
Affects Versions
5.8
Platform(s)
Windows
Upload an image
Additional Notes
I’m not sure if the “Type of bug” selection is correct for this issue; apologies in advance if it’s not.
