UE 5.2 Official Release weird shadow issue,

I have this issue in the shadows in UE 5.2 official release.

This is a video recording for the editor, a fresh default level, notice how the shadows disappear after a distance, and how they come back when I zoom in.

When I turn raytraced shadows off, the problem is solved, but it comes back when raytraced shadows is back on,

Does anybody have any hints?

For performance reasons, raytracing culls objects beyond a certain distance. I’d recommend reviewing the documentation on RT for more comprehensive information, but this can be adjusted with cvars, like:
r.RayTracing.Culling.Radius

1 Like

Hey, thanks for your reply and for the tip,

According to the documentation, please see the attached image, I increased the amounts of culling for the radius to ridiculous amounts, but unfortunately, the problem is still there,

This issue wasn’t there in UE 5.1, when a default level is created, with the default sunlight system, the shadows would work out of the box, I am not sure if I am missing something,

I updated my project from 5.1 to 5.2, and because of this problem I can’t proceed with doing the work in 5.2,

I didn’t get an answer so far, but I found away to to get around this issue, I don’t know if this is the right way to do it, but when I increased the bound scale for the object to 1000, the problem was gone.

Hope this helps.

I discovered that Hardware Raytracing wasn’t turned on in my project settings, so I turned it on, and then I added these 2 console commands:

r.RayTracing.Culling.Radius 1000000
r.RayTracing.Culling.Angle 0.1

And the problem was solved :slight_smile:
Screenshot 2023-06-06 203320

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.