UE 5.1 VR Sky Atmosphere is black

I think it depends on the specific type of VR project. I’m working on a PC based VR project so I don’t think deferred shading would cause any problem.

Why can’t I add a SunSky to a VRTemplate in 5.1? Doesn’t seem to work for this template.

same

Any fix coming for this, it’s ridiculous how broken and easily replicable this is, Epic seriously need to test their own templates before releasing a major version…

1 Like

Nobody mentioned that the volumetric clouds look better in non-VR projects because of the TSR AA method. In VR, we mainly use MSAA, which leads to flickering clouds.

For all of those for whom the forward shader fix didn’t work, here’s a quick fix. I was able to copy the skysphere from the original VR template map (no smoke and mirrors, just select the asset in the Outliner and Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V). It works fine in the new map, and volumetric clouds are now functioning as well. For those who want to know where this skysphere is in the content browser, it under engine assets–All\Engine\Content\EngineSky\BP_Sky_Sphere.

1 Like

i find something that do not require disabling forward rendering you just need to use gpu lightmass instead of the default light building

i get a black sky even in the template map

1 Like

This is still broken in 5.1.1, I submitted a report and they were able to replicate but have not yet fixed it.

So as of now, you can’t make VR games in UE5.

you can use gpu ligthmass or turn off forward rendering

Neither of these work mtoon, it still goes black after you bake, these settings just bring it back during editing runtime, but so does removing and re-adding the skylight.

The moment you bake, it goes black.

They’ve confirmed it’s an issue, I’m just sad it’s still not fixed…

1 Like

did you build from the gpu ligthmass interface
or from the default build all ?
Because it worked for me.

Edit: This is fixed in 5.2 Preview! :partying_face:

Neither work.

I’ve literally just tested:

• UE 5.1.1
  • Brand New VR Template
  • Build > Build All Levels
  • Sky is now black

Even if you do Build Lighting Only after this, it wont fix it. If you’re just building lighting, then you’re not building you’re whole level and missing a lot of sky sphere stuff.

You can build specific parts, that isn’t the problem… The issue is with the Sky Lighting.

Turning off forward rendering does not solve it. The moment you click Build All Levels, it will break.

You have to then close the editor, and reopen your project anytime this happens. Settings make zero difference.

This broke after 5x

Report: Unreal Engine Issues and Bug Tracker (UE-174156)

Here is hoping it is fixed in 5.2! :smile:

1 Like

precisely you should use the gpu lightmass interface not the build all levels

bp_sky_sphere is black for me after baking

Thank you soooo much!!!

Thanks. It worked

Hi… The problem here is most likely because VR template have renders settings that is optimized for VR games. That also includes mobile for games that will run on quest 2 i think. So it is using mobile settings and forward shading.

I have that same problem with VR template, and i could see in the render settings that most of the mobile settings are turned on. Even lumen is disabled on that template (can’t choose anything for it because it is grayed out)

So the best thing to do is just to create a new default project for windows games, then add the VR starting content to it. That way you can change the render setting manually for the type of game you are working on. PCVR could perhaps use almost normal PC render settings. But for quest 2 or pico you might need to stick with the mobile render settings that disable all those features. They are not usable if there is no dx12 support on the headset you are making standalone games on…

Like mobile games, they can’t handle all that comes with lumen and ray tracing. So they are not supossed to be enabled.

2 Likes

Thank you that Worked with The VR template.

Problem is still there in UE5.3