Download

[Twitch] Support Livestream - VFX - Oct. 7, 2014

Hey y’all!

We are excited to roll out a new Twitch segment focused directly on learning and support of specific topics at a deeper level. The plan is to give a 30-minute deep dive into a topic by a team of subject matter experts, followed by 30 minutes of Q&A. After the stream, we plan to have the archive up with time-stamped questions paired with summarized answers in order to make the information more navigable.

For now, we are aiming to stream a new support session every two weeks on **TUESDAYS AT 2PM ET **if the format succeeds, meaning the next support stream will take place on October 21st - mark your calendars. Come learn something!

WHAT
PARTICLES / VFX Deep Dive

WHEN
Tuesday, October 7th @ 2PM ET - Countdown]

WHERE
www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

WHO
Chance Ivey - Community Manager
Alan Noon - Technical Artist
Olaf Piesche - Sr. Effects Programmer

Feel free to ask any questions on the topic in the thread below, and remember: While we try to give attention to all inquiries, it’s not always possible to answer everyone’s questions as they come up. This is especially true for off-topic requests, as it’s rather likely that we don’t have the appropriate person around to answer. Thanks for understanding!

Chance

EDIT: The YouTube archive is available here](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-0PyTaUaDI&index=1&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gZbpkLTlyD-LzpXHzLaGDnQ)

Great idea!

Amazing idea and very welcome!

This will be a great addition! Hopefully things go smoothly and the format and time works out.

I have question about Niagara ;).

How will Niagara integrate into blueprints. Will there be easier way to modify particle at runtime trough blueprint than it is now. For example not all parameters can be exposed, and you still have to type names of exposed parameters.

So happy to read this!

Looking forward to it!

Happy to hear this. :smiley:

Thanks EPIC!

Sounds great (And I hope it *sounds *great - pun intended) :slight_smile:

Thanks!!

Another great initiative! I’m looking forward to Tuesday!

Wonderful idea, and what a great topic to kick off with!

This is an excellent idea! Thank you! I’m looking forward to it!

particle flow question

I actually have a particle issue I cannot solve, so perhaps you might suggest something.

I’ve made a prototype of an interior blood vessel (you can see a vid here).

There isn’t a way I know of to make the red blood cell particles follow a spline, so what I did here was to just push them in a direction and have an interior collision mesh keep them on-track.

This is fine, but what I’d like to do is have the red blood cell particles pulse (speed up and slow down with the beating of the heart). I can’t seem to figure out a good way of doing this. If I damp the particles, I can’t find a way to re-apply velocity to them. I was headed in the direction of using GPU-based vector-fields… but GPU particles don’t support the mesh type, so I abandoned that.

I tried using a spline blueprint, but that only allows the emitter to follow the spline, not guide the particles themselves. Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Andrew

how is the mmo part of unreal coming, like how soon will we be hearing about it?

I was just about to leave a thread in the feedback, pretty much as exactly outlined about something like this. Good to know EPIC games is streets ahead. :smiley:

Thanks a bunch for this, I love the streams even if i cant catch them right on time, i watch 'em later. :] I hope people entertain this Support LS idea because it is really beneficial to the entire community, present and future members !

Nice! A few questions from me:

• Will GPU Particles ever be able to support the ‘Random’ SUB-UV Style?
  • Is there a way to randomize Particle colours individually using a material (as GPU Particles don’t support this properly at the moment as confirmed by Nick)
  • Is 2D Distortion similar to the UE3 method planned for a comeback in UE4?
  • Will the Infiltrator Demo ever come to Marketplace, and if not, would it be possible to release some of the Material Functions that were used to generate the effects in it (such as the big fluid explosion, and the invisibility shield).
  • What would you recommend people should try to make if they wanted to sell VFX on the Marketplace?

What are the current plans for vehicles?
-Will you be adding additional functionality such as independent control over each wheel’s: steering axis (Including inverting the axis if needed), torque, break power and other items to enable the creation of better tanks and other vehicles movement types?

When did they remove it from the Marketplace??? as it was available to download before the Marketplace was launched and I just noticed its not there anymore :frowning:

I would be interested to hear if this tech demo will ever make it into the marketplace

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8

Though it would probably need a complete overhaul due to back then it was running on an old OpenGL system for lightng.

Furthermore,
It would be rather spectacular if it also had OculusRift & Leap Motion support for use with the VR Mount

Hey all, just a reminder - questions here should be relative to the support stream’s topic. Thanks!

Much of that demo is no longer possible, at least not to the degree as was shown.