[Twitch] 4.4 and UMG Preview, Part 1 - Aug. 7, 2014

Last minute community spotlight entry :smiley:

https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?27317-Uber-Hi-Res-Earth-Shader-Work-In-Progress&p=113203#post113203

/shameless self plug

How will fonts work in UMG? How will fonts get imported? What font types will work? Will the fonts be dynamic (ex. change font size)? Will there text such as outlines, drop shadow, glow, etc.

You can set the Text to have a specific font in the details of Text Blocks and also in the Slate Widget Style asset, that can then be applied to the Text Block. It accepts ttf type fonts. You can set/alter font sizes. As far as go, you will have access to a few things in the beginning, like drop shadow, with more to come as things develop.

Do you guys ever plan to add direct functionality to edit and even entirely replace the terrain heightmap at runtime? (Even if it requires rebaking and/or a longer loading period)

What is the status of sequencer? Will it be backwards compatible with matinee files? Should we hold off on matinee work until sequencer is out?

my questions:

• How does UMG interact with C++ code? Will it be able to pull data directly from e.g. a character class, like an inventory with 100+ items? Or will it require Blueprints?
  • How does UMG interact with C++ Slate widgets? Will I be able to use existing Slate Widgets (e.g. my own inventory widget) with UMG?
  • Will future samples/older samples from the marketplace use UMG?

You should not wait until sequencer is ready. Our plan is to make it backwards compatible.

When will the stream be available to rewatch? I caught most of it but not the start. I’ve enabled the but guess I missed on how to get my Widget drawn on screen :s

It should be on youtube (channel name UnrealEngine) by tomorrow, but I think you can view previous streams on twitch as well.

we go: /b/555570382 :slight_smile:

There is a method called “Add to Viewport” which will add your widget to the screen.
Some basic docs : https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?25533-UMG-Documentation-for-4-4-Preview

Why did you create Slate? What is the advantage of Slate in comparision to other GUI solutions like Qt?

Portability (works on any platform the engine works on), rendering efficiency, we don’t have to deal with a 3rd party’s whims, the license on Qt has changed quite a few times if I recall correctly. With slate we don’t have to worry about any of that.

Thank you Unreal for . UMG will definitely go to good use. I really like the fact that twitch broadcast turned into a tutorial for UMG. I feel like I’m ready to use it and utilize slate. I kinda stayed away from slate until now.

I can’t wait until it’s uploaded to Youtube. UI systems like UMG (and the new UI for Unity) interest me greatly. I’m almost tempted to the VOD, but I don’t want to get half way through and have 30 mins of it muted because of a false positive. Can anyone confirm that there’s no silence in the VOD?

No silence, VoD is okay(For few weeks, until twitch delete it >.>)

Good to know! Thank you. :slight_smile:

ok,
then we will have After within UE…
Obviously we could load psd, eps and illustrator files
right?
if so I think that Epic has a lot of work to do…

2D polygons, please! With vertex snapping to grids, vertices, edges, object borders, centers, midpoints and guidelines… PLEASE!

And all animatable.

Possible?

I

Please post some tutorials and I will do the same after messing with UMG. thanks!