Trees have baked in shadows that look stupid

I have tried to fix this before and they keep doing this. Even after fixing the issue. What is causing these shadows in the first place? When I move around, the shadows rotate with the camera. I have tried increasing lightmap quality and it doesn’t stick. Even after turning off shadows and checking the lighting these shadows are baked in somehow. I’m sure it’s something stupidly simple.

This is how the trees are supposed to look.

Are you using static lighting?

Are you building lighting?

Do these trees have billboard LODs? ( or is it Nanite with fallback etc )

Lighting is not static. I don’t have billboards. I have rebuilt the lighting multiple times after changing different settings to troubleshoot this.
If I disable all in world lighting it does not fix or remove the shadowing on the model.

Right. If the lighting is moveable, why are you building light? :slight_smile:

If you are building light because you got a message about it on your screen, that will be because you’ve put a static light in the map. Just convert them all to moveable. ( You probably need to do one more build after that ).

I can’t find the static one if there is. I go through all lighting nodes and they are all set to movable.
I was rebuilding lighting due to an LOD error telling me I had overlapping LODs or something. I fixed it and had to rebuild to see if the error would clear.

When you say ‘rebuild’, what do you mean? When did you get the LOD error? ( It all sounds like it’s coming from building light… )

After updating UE a few versions ago. The models themselves were fine on import.
That issue shouldn’t have anything to do with the way the current lighting is being affected. The models and materials themselves don’t have this problem. Only when in editor view.

The static mesh editor, has dynamic lighting, so they will always look ok there.

In the editor, any light you have built will have been baked into the lightmaps on the meshes.

I think this is what you’re seeing.

Is this map World Partition? If it is, I don’t understand. If it isn’t, tick this box a built light one more time

World Partition shows disabled.

This is new

1 Like

Did you tick the box?

I can’t find that box. It must be a default setting somewhere. I’m looking through world settings and blueprints to find it.

It’s in the world settings.

Take a look at my picture, we are looking for

Good, now build light :slight_smile:

( It should be instant )

Nothing happened.
That error I posted is telling me my problem. It is casting a preshadow. I don’t see the setting to turn off.

The issue isn’t being affected by the pcgvolume. I tried dropping a tree on its own and it still looks the same. It’s like an emissive problem and this is not the first time I have posted complaining about emissive issues with my material. I have a 0 set on it and it still does this.

Might be worth checking the normals on that asset.

1 Like