Training Livestream - C++ Q&A - June 27 - Live from Epic HQ

Just dropping in an answer on answerhub about the IWYU changes, so people don’t need to ask this anymore! <3
https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/670373/pointer-to-incomplete-class-type-is-not-allowed-2.html#answer-670374

There can never be enough c++ livestreams.

Would be awesome if you could print somewhere on the screen the key combinations that you guys are using.

[Question]
What’s the best solution for creating a mesh that reacts to a physical object. Working on a hockey game and want the net to react to the puck rather than remain static. We’ve toyed with the idea of using World Position Offset in materials as well as a procedural mesh.

I am becoming increasingly interested in “modifying a data table”. Whether it is done through some plugin widget or while simulating the game doesn’t matter.
Is it possible to modify a data table directly? Is it possible to modify a CSV file, adding, removing or changing existing data?

Oh my, looking forward to it very much. C++ has many layers in UE4, but I think You will cover only gameplay stuff not the engine modifications. I always had some troubles in remembering how the lifecycle of actor and uobject is - which functions should be overriden when. I’m hoping for a good stream, good job :slight_smile:

My biggest #Question is what function do I need to call to get my AI pawn to jump from location to location without a NavLink (proc gen makes those a non-option for me). If I call Jump() from its movement component, he jumps in place without navigating. I followed [this](post by but I don’t know how to make the pawn jump along that path! I will ask during the live stream too in case you guys don’t see this! Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, please go over this.

Also, my AI successfully avoid each other when moving, however they don’t avoid the player. I added UCrowdManager::GetCurrent(this)->RegisterAgent(this) to my player but it doesn’t help. Any thoughts?

[QUESTION]: Considering the following Scenarion: I have an Actor that is created in Blueprints, which itself has a Component that itself was created in Blueprints. In my Cpp Class I now want to take an Actor Pointer and cast it to that Blueprint Actor class and also access properties of that BP Component. How would I do that? The CPP Class in my case is an EQS Test, which afaik cant be done in BPs.

My biggest #Question is what function do I need to call to get my AI pawn to jump from location to location without a NavLink (proc gen makes those a non-option for me). If I call Jump() from its movement component, he jumps in place without navigating. I followed [this](post by but I don’t know how to make the pawn jump along that path! I will ask during the live stream too in case you guys don’t see this! Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

So it sounds like what you need to do is add velocity to the AI. Basically, jump adds upward velocity only and the forward momentum is created by the character’s movement. The AI’s says “Go to Location X, then execute Jump()” so it goes to vector X then stops, then jumps in place.

What you’ll need is instead to see that the goal vector is on another nav mesh (You’ll do a check for if the vector’s location is navigable, if not then it’s off the current navmesh) and then move the AI as close as possible, then add velocity to the AI in the direction of the vector and with appropriate force.

I would recommend just using the NavLinks however and also if you want to see real examples of it working you can check out the Robo Recall mod editor on the launcher.

Has already added it into the playlist.

I did this just by tweaking the Recast-Navmesh parameters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKI3nbSrFFI