Tone mapper in unreal engine

Please Add build in option to select tonemapper from project or post process setting.
And Please add muliple tonemapppers in unreal engine to choose from. it would be great to have muliple tone mapper right inside unreal engine because custom tonemapper break most of pot process features.

It would be great to have the following tonemapper to choose:

  1. AGX
  2. Khronos PBR Neutral
  3. Filmic (UE Current tonemapper)
5 Likes

Up please+++

I’ve been looking into exactly this recently!

There are already a few ways to replace the tonemapper, but preserving Unreal’s existing color grading/post-process workflow while changing the tone curve is the part I’ve found particularly interesting.

I’ve been experimenting with AgX, Khronos PBR Neutral and a few other curves to see how they behave, especially with bright saturated colors.

I’ll share some results once I have them organized.

A small update on this since I mentioned I was running some tests.

Here’s one of the comparisons I’ve been using: Unreal’s default Filmic vs AgX Neutral. Same input colors on both sides, increasing in intensity from left to right.

The red makes the difference particularly easy to see. Filmic starts shifting towards orange/yellow as intensity increases, while AgX keeps the hue more stable as it rolls towards white.

I’ve also been testing Khronos PBR Neutral and a few other curves. It’s been interesting to see how differently they handle bright saturated colors.