The Art of Combat - Melee Combat System for the Unreal Engine

As per a request, I added Additive Animation support as an update for The Art of Combat. I’m open to more requests:).

Maxx can you add weapon switching (hand combat to sword combat) or is it allready there its allot of blueprint still looking in all that
and i noticed the ai guard has problems walking up the stairs, i like the asset very much nice purchase thank you

Thanks @fhl41!

As for the AI Guard walking up the stairs, I think there are many parts to that: the Nav Mesh Bounds Volume’s calculations, the absence of path nodes (I didn’t need them, but you can add them to make pathing easier of course). Then there’s also my code (I designed the system so the AI always looks at its prey, in this case the player character), so there’s all that. There’s also the slope of the stairs (I just played around with using a stair BSP, with stair heights of 6 and noticed the AI climbed the stairs a lot more efficiently. So using stairs of lower individual stair heights will make it better. There’s also the "Max Step Height’ value on the Character components of the Character Blueprints, if you wanna tweak that.

For Weapon Switching, from how you described it (hand to hand combat to sword combat), it seems you intend for movesets to switch entirely or somewhat simultaneously with weapon switches. Let me know if I’m right. I had this in mind already, so I’ll go ahead to implement this. However, it isn’t really difficult at all to do. The key parts are:

1. Toggling ‘Hidden In Game’ modes of weapons.
  2. Switching states in Anim Blueprint.
  3. Assigning different anims based on desired variable (class, weapon, and so on).

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll notify you here as soon as I update the Marketplace version with this new feature.

(I had this in mind already) oke thanks for implement this:D

Hi there!

So two big announcements:

First, I made some major updates to The Art of Combat:

• Added new Notifies: DColRightLeg, EColRightLeg, RightLegKickTrace, DColLeftHand, EColLeftHand, LeftHandSwordTrace
  • Added new Colision Control sections to both Player Character (Manne_BP) and AI Character (AI_Guard_BP) Blueprints
  • Added new Collision Capsules to both Player Character (Manne_BP) and AI Character (AI_Guard_BP) Blueprints
  • Added new Sockets to Character Skeleton (UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton): Lower Back Weapon Sheath, Upper Back Weapon Sheath, Right Hand, Left Hand, Right Hand Weapon Sheath, Left Hand Weapon Sheath
  • Added new Collision sections to Player Character Animation (TC_BP) and AI Character Animation (EC_BP) Blueprints
  • New Moveset Control Component (Switch entire movesets by weapon types)
  • New Modular Structs and Enums

The Moveset Control Component is the major new update this time, as it took several days to complete. The Moveset Control Component can be added to any actor, and it has already been added as components in both the Player Character Blueprint (Manne_BP) and the AI Character Blueprint (AI_Guard_BP).

Workflow:

1. Modular structs are used to construct a hierarchy for the main structs called within the component - StructKing and StructQueen. StructKing is the structure that contains all the structs that hold the montages for Player Possession, while the StructQueen holds the structs that house the montages for the AI Possession (Manne BP can be either player possessed or AI possessed).

2. Montages are set in the StructKing and StructQueen structures. Setting the montages on the individual modular structures will only work if those individual structures are called. Since StructKing and StructQueen are used in the Moveset Control Component, montages are set in StructKing and StructQueen.

3. Depending on the Weapon Type, all the corresponding montages for the Character Blueprint (Manne BP/AI_Guard_BP) are set dynamically at run time whenever the SMBWT On Char event is called. Conditions can be added/removed as desired.

4. For the Movement Control Component to recognize the owning character, the Character BP has to be set in the owning character’s blueprint (Event On Begin Play in Manne BP; Initialize Character in AI_Guard_BP).

5. The Weapon Type is based on an Enumeration BP, and whenever weapons are switched, the Current Weapon Type Enumeration Variable in the Character Blueprint should be updated as well. This way, the movesets also switch instantly by switching weapon types.

6. Weapon Mesh and Weapon Sheath structures as well as their Material Structures are also included in the Moveset Control Component, so actual mesh and material changes can also be dynamic.

Special Thanks to @fhl41 for encouraging me to implement this feature.
I hope you enjoy it.

Secondly, The Art of Combat is going on sale for a few days from March 20th at a 35% discount. This is the best I can do to support all the indie combat designers out there (Love you!:D). Get it while you can.

Here are screenshots of some of the updates:

Enjoy.

Nice update wish you much success with your sale!

Thanks mate!

Thanks for the great update :slight_smile:

My pleasure!

I’m taking more requests at this time, if anyone has any. Just post it here and we’ll discuss about it. :smiley:

Maxx are you allso adding bow & arrow (something i read above Adrayvia’s Ranger class) that would be awesome :smiley:

and the camera is going through the wall when you hit the wall can this be fixed

For the camera collision, in the Event On Begin Play section, I set ‘Do Collision Test’ for the Camera Boom to false. Simply either delete that node, or set it to true.

Here’s a screenshot of the node:

As for the now and arrow setup, I already have this set up for Adrayvia, but I don’t have the required anims to configure an Aim Offset yet. Since aiming is rather important for the Ranger class, I’ll hold off on updating The Art of Combat with the Ranger class until I have the required anims. When I have it ready, I’ll try to make it into a component that can be easily added to characters.

Also, please rate The Art of Combat on the Marketplace. It is an important method of feedback for both me and other consumers. Thanks!

i have rated it for you :slight_smile: i got the collision working thanks ,oke then i will wait for bow and arrow when the anims are ready.

Thanks mate!

Hello everyone!

We’re approaching the end of the sale! Big thanks to everyone who’s purchased The Art Of Combat!

Right now, the most sought after feature is the multiplayer feature, so that’s the main focus for the next few weeks. I’ll keep you posted.

Also, check out ethosthegame.com to get a peek of the upcoming game several months into development with the first taste slated for July, 2016.

Thanks again!

Hi, I have just purchased your Combat System! I’m just starting to read your colorful blueprint now :slight_smile:

As a newbie in BP, I have a quite silly question : It seems that I’m obliged to use the Manne BP as the player character? Is there any method which allows me use my existing character BP, intergrating your system as well ? I have already developed a lot of functions inside my own character BP already…it will be such time wasting to recreate all variables, functions, events…

Thanks very much in advance!

Just checking in. Multiplayer is coming along nicely, and it really isn’t as big a deal as I thought it would be to be honest. It’s still complicated, especially with so many nodes across the blueprints, but I feel I’m getting close. I’ll keep you posted, but I should have the final solution soon enough.

I’ll keep you posted. Enjoy the weekend everyone…while I toil away at servers and clients…:smiley:

If you have your own Character Blueprints and you are trying to figure out how to integrate The Art of Combat’s BPs with yours, there’s a pretty neat and credible solution, thanks to Wu Yang (Fogbell on UE forums).

Simply ‘Reparent’ your character BP unto the character BP included in The Art of Combat (recommended), or vice versa.

To do reparent your character BP unto Manne BP, for example: Open up your character BP and click on File>Reparent. Select the new parent BP (Manne BP) for your character BP. That’s it.

If you prefer to make Manne BP a child of your character BP, you need to also copy the Event On Begin Play and Event Tick sections into your character BP (you may collapse them into a graph and just copy and paste the collapsed graphs).

Big thanks to Wu Yang for bringing this up and testing out the solution.

Enjoy!