The Art of Combat - Melee Combat System for the Unreal Engine

Okay, so I might have underestimated networking a bit. I need some help, and I am getting it from some talented experts:D
For multiplayer I’ll need to overhaul the system quite a bit. But it’ll be worth it.

Alright then, have a good one!

Maxx can you allso add patrolling and wounder arround for the enemy

Hi flh41. To be honest I’m quite surprised cos this should be something unique to your project, but anyway. Patrolling can be really simple (just add waypoint triggers and AI Move To nodes in whichever BP you want to add it in) or a bit more complex. Can you give more details on the kind of Patrol System you’d like? Everyone is welcome to pitch in here too. Make this an argument:D.

@Max
Are the bluperints able to compile to C++ with the new conversion tool ?

I’m not sure what you are referring to by the ‘new conversion tool’. Could you clarify this for me?

(Can you give more details on the kind of Patrol System you’d like?) sorry i have reinstalled windows so i am little late on responding
can you add that every enemy has its own patrolling points and that they wait on every patrolling point that you can edit the wait and patrolling points

and if you ever have time left wander around for the enemy :smiley:

I’ll look into it and see what I can do.

Looking forward to the multiplayer update.

Keep up the hard work!

Thanks mate!

Hey. Could you tell some controlls ? For example there are only for Xbox ? Since I noticed that on video ‘what you can achieve’, you used different keys. For attack, heavy attack, parry etc. In you kit there is only ‘F’ key for attack/combo ?

Hi +wiNt. To be honest I’ not quite sure I understand what you’re asking, but I’ll try to answer and I hope I’m approaching the right subject. For the controls with which to engage in combat, I didn’t setup any explicit key inputs in the Project Settings, partly cause I was iterating a lot, and cause each game has its own control setup. You can setup specific controls in the Input section of the Project Settings and hook them up in the Blueprints if you need them. What does exist in the Blueprints in terms of controls (Manne BP, for example), are direct Key calls like Gamepad Face Button Left, Gamepad Face Button Right, F, T, and so on. To know which controls do what, simply look in the blueprints for the input key event. For example, in the Attack section, you can find Gamepad Face Button Left and F as the key inputs for Light Attacks. In the Defense section, you can find Gamepad Face Button Right as the input for Skips and Evades, and so on and so forth. Both Gamepad buttons and keyboard keys are used. Also, if you’d like to quickly test out a different key setup, simply hook it up in the blueprints where the above mentioned key inputs are. For a more permanent input setup for your game, I’d recommend to set the keys up in the Input section of the Project Settings, as directly calling the keys in the Blueprints was intended (by me) to be used for quick iteration and testing.

I hope I answered your question. Ciao.

Hello guys!

I’m very pleased to inform you that Manne BP (the player character) is now fully Multiplayer compatible. This means PvP is now fully supported in The Art of Combat!!
The next item on the list is the AI character (AI_Guard_BP). Once the AI character is rigged for multiplayer, the projectile actors are next (that shouldn’t take time at all). The AI Character might take some time too, like the player character, but once it’s done, it’s done. The next update on the Marketplace may have these features:

1. Multiplayer (PvP, PvE, Co-op) - Definitely.
  2. New RPG Component with many core RPG functions and Curve Float applications built in - Possibly (I may schedule this for a later update. Also depends on how much it is requested for).
  3. Extremely Improved Hit Reaction and Damage Dealing System with detection for hits on individual body parts (Head, Torso, Arms, Legs…), each with its own execution path - Possibly (I may schedule this for a later update. Also depends on how much it is requested for).
  4. Other minor but significant improvements.

Thank you!

P.S: With the addition of the new features and with the next big update - the Multiplayer Update, the price of The Art of Combat may go back to its original price of $125, and with more improvements and updates and features, the price may increase in the future. The Multiplayer update is slated for release latest 1st of June (latest, meaning it’ll probably be done in half that time:D), so if you’re interested in the pack, you can still get it on the Marketplace now at the reduced price.

The Art of Combat is evolving, and I am really excited to see how it develops. Cheers:D

cool, looking forward to June for the update (will you also attach additional tuts?)

I’m making sure to comment the blueprints heavily, but if you need a specific tutorial you can request for it here and I’ll let you know if I’m going to work on it.

Don’t forget to rate the pack on the Marketplace. Thanks!

Hey guys!

Remember how I said the AI character might take some time to rig for multiplayer? Well, I just completed its design and it is now also multiplayer compatible, along with the Projectile Actors. Ergo, The Art of Combat is now fully multiplayer compatible! (Yay!)
So now it’s only a question of when to update the Marketplace version. I think I’ll take a break for a few days and after that I’ll probably make another feature video, after which the Multiplayer update will go live.

Very big thanks to everyone for supporting me and my work thus far, and for all the experts who clued me in the right direction and encouraged me to go on - Scott P, Yun-kun, eXi, Kenneth Henson, Caras Alexandra, Alan McGraw, Johnny Jacques - thank you so much.

I’m excited to see what you guys do with The Art of Combat. Cheers:D!

Some screenshots to show the updated blueprints for Multiplayer:

I’m sure you know this already, but just to reiterate: All owners of the pack get the multiplayer-ready version as a free update. With the upload of the Multiplayer version to the store, the price for the pack also increases. So anyone interested in The Art of Combat can still get it at the current reduced price before the update rolls out. I’ll be sending the Multiplayer update to Epic first week of May, so I think there’s about a week or a week or two left to enjoy the current price drop.

Thanks for your support and don’t forget to rate The Art of Combat on the Marketplace:D!

Can this be modified to work with Paper 2d Flipbooks as opposed to the animation montage?

Thanks!

Hi +supersane.
To be honest, I don’t have much knowledge (yet) on 2D Flipbooks in UE, but from the little I have read, the answer should be yes (should be, cos I have not tested it). So, the emergent answer from me is: I have no real idea, but if Flipbooks use a certain node to play animations like the Play Montage node, there shouldn’t be a problem with modifying the code for 2D.

When are you expecting the multiplayer update to hit? Also a more detailed video showing how to implement new animations/moves would be nice.Great work by the way!!

I already sent the Multiplayer updates to Epic Games since the 6th of May, 2016. I haven’t heard back yet, so I’m working on getting a response from them, thanks for asking. So basically, its in Epic’s hands. I’m trying to find out what’s causing the hold up. I’ll post here when it’s finally up.

As for the video tutorial, I’ll see what I can do.
Thanks!