Survival Inventory

So working on trying to add more Equipment items, but not sure how to do this or even modify existing ones.
Maybe a tutorial would help since no information was found anywhere I have searched?

Anything anyone can do would help… I thank you!

Jake Howe

Hey there,

We have documentation for this here

Actually I read all of that, but thank you for sharing the link :slight_smile:
But it didn’t state anything on the Animation aspect…

“Equipped mesh is only used if the item is appearing on your character this must be a skeletal mesh as it needs to be animated.”

The Problem is since your using a different way of attaching items / equipment to characters, not like most people / Tutorials I’ve read.
I cannot figure out how to do this. I’m sorry for any inconvenience, but My wife and I have tried to figure out this problem so we can add
New Armor, and new backpacks ourselves, and move on to the next stages of our development.

I also emailed you through your support site, not sure if your getting the emails?
So also posted here, thanks again for your reply.

Will be waiting for your post. :slight_smile:

Hey there,

Are you using static meshes for your armor or skeletal meshes?

@jakehowe2004

well I tried to think of a work around with static no prevail, but cant figure out the skeletal ones.
A tutorial or anything to help ?

So far this is the only thing preventing us from using this Asset we just got. :frowning:
Defuse Studios

The problem with static meshes is that they cant deform to the character animations, so if you where adding something like a shirt or trousers they would just stay static as the character moves.
Thats why the system is set up for skeletal meshes as the can deform to the characters animations.

This is a good video for learning the basics of taking a static mesh and making it in to a skeletal mesh.

@jakehowe2004

I’m not using Static meshes, I’m trying to do the same thing you did for the backpacks, and armor. I want to add new items “Skeletal Mesh” items. the video didnt help.
because I’m trying to replicate what you did, and need to know how you did it.

jake

@Defuse Studios

Like How did you attach the backpacks to the body “Skeletal Meshes”,
But thank you for sharing the video anyways :slight_smile:

I used the same way the video shows, I imported a static mesh of the back pack to to a scene in 3ds max with the unreal skeleton the skinned the backpack to one of the spine bones (spine 3 i think) and the export the backpack and the skeleton in to the engine tell the engine when importing that it is a skeletal mesh and select the unreal skeleton that you already have in your project as the meshes skeleton then set it as the equipment mesh in the item details data table.

@jakehowe2004

TYVM! awesome great to know, I will pass that onto my wife also she will be happy as heck.
Thanks again!

On another note: What updates are coming to Survival Inventory? if if’s Ok to ask. :slight_smile:

One more Question forgot to ask, when you skined the backpack to the Skeletal mesh, did you remove the Original SK_Mannequin Mesh?

@jakehowe2004

I have a bunch of fixes and some small UI improvements in the works at the moment as well as some changes of how hands slots will work to make it easier to add weapons to the pack.

yes you want to remove the sk_mannequin mesh

NICE! cant wait to check out the new improved asset!
Right now trying to figure out how to change the Main character, So he doesn’t look like a white cyborg…lol
Allot of code to go through and see why it’s not working.

Thanks again for all the help.

Hi Bud, got a question for you.

Bought your Build system… but having issues.
I and trying to combine both Inventory and build system.

I got it all to work :
Except… your ItemDetails folder and file, as the video shows are not there.
We need Part 2 for the crafting and harvesting Video.
For some reason no way to really setup crafting since it was originally the tree and stone for the resources.

So mainly seems as if all the main code to call these were not included when using the video to join?

Can you please help with this issues.

OK moving on…

you have to create items and set those items as the crafting material for the building part you want to use just follow the new item tutorial make wood or stone as an item. there are free meshes on the learn section or the launcher. and then follow the new crafting item tutorial. you can even transfer more of the building system over to the inventory system and make it add items to inventory instead of to resources. you are using items to craft now not resources.

i am having trouble with using any item from a stack and the whole stack going with it. is this just how it is? or is there an easy way around it?

on the inventory screen or your actual player controller?

I had the same problem with the stack going gone “Removed”, after just putting down one item, even though I collected all of the bags (as in the video) it is a check box issue.
Go to your PlayerInventoryComponent Blueprint, then Just off of the SERVER PLACED BUILD TYPE, there is a REMOVE ITEM, untick the check box on REMOVE STACK.

That should fix the issue.
As for using Items ya I figured it out on the crafting part of adding items. But Gathering resources will be harder as no 2nd video is here as stated.
And for the character yes, as well as the inventory. , wanting to add a new character Mesh and replace the robot “Default”, one included.

Thanks you RydeMrPinky for all your help.

thanks for the tip yo

i imported my own skeletons and meshes for my characters. and migrated all to that but you could just change the skeleton and meshes in the third person character bluprint in content->survival inventory->blueprints to get the character to change.
to get the inventory character to change open up survival inventory->blueprints->modelviewerblueprint change the skeletal mesh on the right hand side and anim blueprint