SuperGenius - Weather FX Megathread! (FAQ, Requests, Bug Report)

Hey Chris, I turned off the extra cylinder mesh that had the distance material applied to it and replaced it with gpu particle rain in hopes to optimize the effect. Open the particle system VFX_Weather_Rain_Heavy_Local (man who the hell made these names? >.< lol). Turn on the Distance Rain Emitter, that will put the mesh back into the system you are looking for. Keep in mind that it will decrease performance as it is one giant alpha call across the whole view.
eeadedd0dd88f3aaa802eac4d57cacef86f0aaaa.jpeg

Use the VFX_Rain_BP blueprint, I made it just for this instance and you can ramp its intensity up and down.

Hope that helps!

Hey quick question. I must be missing something on collision. I can see the rain droplets colliding just fine in my editor viewport but when I hit play to simulate the level I loose the collision. I’m sure its soemthing stupid I’m doing wrong :P.

hi,

i just test your solution with VFX_Rain_BP and i still have collision problem, same as nate1380.

That works when i add the VFX_Rain_Bp on the map but seeing a small number off rain who fail collision want link on pawn.

figured mine out, uncheck drop detail in the template.

having a similar issue with lightning now though. I can see it in the editor but not when I play.

shoulda looked at your suggestion earlier first about lightining, that did the check…great system and getting great results, thanks!!

Where do you uncheck drop detail ? in BP_Rain_PS / Collision and drop detail ?

i try that but no change.

somes screens for the problem.
the problem seem wost when the pawn move.

that seem to be a UE bug with rain link on character.
The rain collision ssem works only when the character look at the celling.

I found a tutorial who explain how to make a rain scene capture for have a correct rain collision.

I make a BP base on this solution and Collision systeme work really good.

"How do I attach effects to a player?

Since the 1.1 update, we include a blueprint that has the weather FX attached to a player camera. Feel free to use that as a base. (Thanks Stuart Mackereth for the blueprint"

Where is this? I don’t see it there. How do I do this???

I did not tried this yet but it seems like an enormous amount of work. maybe i can scale the collision rain FX

hello, I’m trying to add the effects to my flying map. the one included firstperson shooter is not going to work with my game as it is a flying game.

i like how the firstperson shooter can toggle the effects with 1234567
but how do i add this function to my flying game? can you make a video tutorial how to attach this to other player types?

I cant get the weather effects to stop going through my wall so I am using local actors all around my level, how do I disable the rendering of that giant cylinder when using the heavy snow?

I cant get the weather effects to stop going through my wall so I am using local actors all around my level, how do I disable the rendering of that giant cylinder when using the heavy snow?

Hey JoJo,

All you need to do is disable the Distance Rain node within the VFX_Weather_Rain_Heavy particle system. Just click the check box that I am pointing out in this image.

eeadedd0dd88f3aaa802eac4d57cacef86f0aaaa.jpeg

Let me know if you need anything else!

But I am using the blizzard and the heavy snow, do I do the same thing as you mentioned above with those as well, or do I do something different

Same thing. There is a distance mesh for each effect, but I have not found a good way to get the material to change based on character movement since they are using textures. The fog and blizzard move with character movement to sell that relationship, but they are using procedural noise within the material, and no textures.

^As of the new 4.11 update that is.

So there is no way to disable the cylinder for the snow and no way to have just a local blizzard particle on me and have it disable when I walk inside, instead of having 5+ of them around the level

Hey Everyone!

Here is my walk through video explaining the new features and how to use the blueprints I have added to this package since its release: