SuperGenius - Weather FX Megathread! (FAQ, Requests, Bug Report)

Hey SuperGenius,
I’m very interested in this pack and just have a few question:
-Does the raineffect have waterdrops (on the ground) and colission?
-Are the blueprints editable at runtime, so I can build an dynamic weathersystem with this pack? (I’m pretty new to whole 3D-engines, which aren’t a simple editor.)
-Are sounds implemented?

Sorry, if some of this questions should be very basic. Atm I’m focussing more on concepts and wanna build some scenes to improve my leveldesignskills. :slight_smile:

Ok - I bought this and it worked fine on my Mac Pro for version 4.8.3. On the upgraded version it basically destroyed my first person player character as it automatically started attaching FX to the player character which in essence destroyed it for all levels and versions. So if you’re on a Mac - beware - this is not for you until he actually tests it and from our emails, he has no interest in working out the bugs on a Mac. So basically two weeks worth of work and 7 levels are toast as I try to scrub all instances of this FX out of my project. Simply replacing and merging the FP Character does not work - the FX still shows up in the script buried deep someplace in the project. Pretty disappointed.

Hey Eagre,

I understand you are upset, what you are going through is very frustrating. Also, I am pretty sure I know what caused this issue for you, and it was part of me trying to help you work around Epic’s temporary issue with updating the 4.9 project. I can help you, however, please do not say I have no intentions of helping you with this, I have never said such a thing. What I stated in my email is that I have little to no experience with Macs! Which is the sad truth. :confused:

In my pack I included the fps blueprint WITH blueprint code including a template of the vfx attached to the character with toggles so the vfx can be cycled through. I included this because one of the most prominent questions I received was how to attach the vfx to the character.

When I told you to copy the vfx content from the weather fx project to your project to bypass Epic’s temporary bug of stalling when trying to add to your project(which I am unsure what causes this), I said to grab the vfx folder. I think you probably grabbed the FirstPersonBP folder as well, which has the attach information in it. Make sure to ONLY copy the VFX_Weather folder, as it has no fps character connection or information within it and should not effect your player character whatsoever. The path to this folder on my machine(windows) is: C:\Users\briceanderson\Documents\Unreal Projects\VFX_Pack_Weather2\Content\VFX_Weather. As I said before, I do not use a Mac, so I do not know exactly where this folder resides for you.

Here is a screengrab of what folder you should be taking in Unreal and windows explorer:

Here is the code within the FirstPersonCharacter blueprint that is causing your problems:

As for a refund, you can get a refund if you are unsatisfied with the service, however you must go through Epic to do so.

I hope this helps you out, and I am sorry you ran into such a frustrating issue! I will also copy this message to our email chain.

Thanks,
Brice

Hey - I’m having the issue with the collisions detected above the head of the camera as well. I’m not super proficient with particle systems, but I was wondering, since the collisions are all occurring on the same ‘plane’, that is, not a collision plane, but at the same height, as if a giant plate were above the camera, is there anyway to set what the rain drops can collide with, that is, I could say, just collide with a landscape? Then it could just ignore everything else? Failing that, can I just change the height of the collision or something? Unfortunately, if not, I’ll have to turn off the splashes :(, which I’d rather not do…

Thanks!

Hi! Sorry for the noob question: You can add effects on your event? As sample: 1-st person goes, goes… - boom!! - “bang in the head” - and the snow was involved.?

just bought the weather fx pack and am wondering how the fog is used, when i bring it in its just a big shiny ball that takes away all vision im wondering how to control it to make a layer of fog the surrounds my scene but does not fill it.

I found my problem - it seems that the Procedural Foliage spawners are set to WorldStatic by default and the collisions were detected in it. Even though all the collisions were set to ignore, the particles still detected it. I’m guessing that the collision for the foliage spawners are required for the algorithms.

Setting the spawners to NoCollision solved the problem, but probably need to remember to turn it back on if a need to re-simulate arises.

one of the big selling points for me was the swirling fog you have at 3:20 in the video, however in the pack all I see for VFX_Weather_Fog_Local is a small sphere with a plain fog effect, that looks just like the built in fog. how do I achieve the effect in the video?

Hi superGenius,

i am having a problem with your weather fx lightning blueprint under 4.10.
its just crashing myy scene :wink:
could be direct after load, could be after 5 seconds, but also after two minutes …
but it should be this blueprint, cause if i remove it from the scene, everything stops crashing :wink:

any ideas about this. Will there be a 4.10 version of it somewhere soon ?

it seems to me super genius isn’t reading this thread anymore.
as for the 4.10 crash, it seems to be a memory leak in the lightning BP, my project goes from 9 GB ~ normal ram usage to maxing my 16 GB within 1-3 mins of placing the lightning BP in my level

Hey everyone! I am very sorry, I have been working out of state for the last month and have been extremely busy, every day, every weekend. >.<

Thank you for emailing me Stucki! Please, if you do not get a response here please, please, email me directly since I will check that email daily at work and respond as soon as I can on my freetime.

Stucki: I have not encountered this issue, I made a release for 4.9 and there seemed to be no such issue with the blueprint, as for what has changed between 4.9 and 4.10 that would make the blueprint generate some kind of loop I am not sure. The blueprint was made specifically so I could use a dynamic light to cast realistic shadows. Perhaps the generate light mesh system has changed. There are a couple check boxes to make the lightning blueprint use a simple directional light(which will NOT cast proper shadows, but will be far cheaper). Try turning those off and let me know if that helps.

DynamicLightingSwitch.png

Hi Ixicalibur! Those wisps you see in the video are a secondary mesh emitter within the fog particle system. Since overlaying alphas are an extreme cost performance I removed them when I optimized my fog system. However they are still there! I have turned them back on and tweaked some settings, if you still want these please email me directly with this topic and I can share a new package with this setup with you.

Sorry for the delayed response!

-Brice

Hi Zacrudin,

The fog I made was meant to be stuck on the camera, and the material instance “Fog_Distant_Isnt” has parameters for density and color etc. If you want background/environemnt fog you could apply the “Fog_Close_Isnt” to a simple plane, which you would then place accordingly in your map. Keep in mind overlaying alphas are the largest performance draw with vfx, so use your layers sparingly and the further from camera the better.

Let me know if this helps!

Hey BrassIgla,

Yes, you can. You would want to make a collider volume blueprint or possibly handle this in your level matinee if it is more scripted. I would use a blueprint, crate a volume that gets collision with actor, on actor collision > trigger particle system or event etc. If it is a straight forward cut scene style, matinee is very easy to use once you get grips on it, and allows you to animate camera, actors, trigger animations, particles, etc. etc.

If you need more help give me some more specifics on what you are trying to accomplish and I can probably at least point you in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Again, if you don’t hear from me for an extended period of time, feel free to email me.

Sorry for not getting back to you, I am glad you found the issue!

If I missed anyone, please email me.

Merry christmas all! Any reason y’all can think of why the mist part of the heavy rain isn’s showing up? Its like the whole “rain distance instance” isn’t doing anything. I’ve turned all the parameters down to zero to test and nothing changes. Sorry, know its probably a super simple solution.

After coming back to my project after some time off, I’m now trying to implement this pack in my latest 4.10 project. My biggest issue, is that I can’t open half of the particle systems. As soon as I try, UE just crashes. It seems like it’s the cloud and lightening particles that do it. I loaded it into a new project just to test and the same thing happens. Any ideas or any details I can provide to help track down the cause?

Thanks!

Hi,

i make somes tests on your project and i have somes questions :

• what is the best way for make player pawn see rain / snow from the inside of a house but with no rain / snow inside ? i can stop the rain/snow effect when i past the door but if i want to see effect form the windows ?

• do you have a solution for raindrops falling through roofs/solid surfaces ? the collision seeing working 95% of the rain impact on solid surface.

Thx

First, I love the pack. However, optimization is a “big deal” for me. I would suggest to use occlusion for the particle systems instead of “None”. Second, there are 3 effects that crash the engine (4.10.2):

VFX_Weather_Lightning_SinglePoint
VFX_Weather_Lightning_OpenWorld
BP_Clouds_PS

Thanks for the advice SaviorNT! I will make those changes and look into those crash issues when I get the time to update the pack to the latest version.